Bucharest Henry Coanda (OTP) Airport
Bucharest Henry Coanda OTP Airport Overview
Bucharest Henry Coanda International Airport OTP (formerly called Otopeni Airport) is Romania's primary airport and serves its capital city of Bucharest and its surrounding areas.
The Airport is located in the town of Otopeni, and 16.5 kilometers north of downtown Bucharest accessible by National Road DN1 (and upon completion, A3 will connect the airport with the City directly). Passenger count between 2005 & 2007 has more than doubled.
With two 3,500 meter runways and an estimated 7.1 million passengers in 2012 - a 40 percent increase from 2011, Henry Coanda Airport is hub to Air Bucharest, Blue Air, TAROM, and Wizz sairline and hosts a multitude of international airlines and charters, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Note that the summer schedule--the busiest time at the airport--runs from June through October, during which time there are also flights to/from New York. (Travelers to the U.S.A. should consult the following sites: (a) in Romanian - mae.ro; (b) in English - travel.statwe.gov or dhs.gov).
Bucharest's Henry Coanda Airport has a new passenger terminal, consisting of two buildings with Departures & Arrivals Halls (a walkway with several shops connects them), with 16,600 sq.meters of space, opened 2011, as part of the Airport Development Program. It offers state-of-the-art technology, modern design and 14 airbridges and 24 boarding gates. The terminal has a passenger capacity to 6 milion passengers a year. There are presently 32 airline gates, of which 14 are equipped with jetways.
The new terminal is, (or is to be) connected to the (future) A3 Bucharest-Brasov motorway, to the railway system, and to the Bucharest metro system as M7 line.
Services and amenities inside the terminal: Information desk (tel. +40 21 204 1000), food & drink, retail & duty-free concessions, internet access, currency exchange, banking service, post office, pharmacy, barber shop & beauty parlor, a business lounge (tel. +40 21 201 3366; fax 204 2917)., lost luggage, and more.
Parking opions at Henry Coanda Airport include Parking lot P1 in front of Departures, and Parking lot P2 in front of Arrivals (a dispatch is located on the ground level, tel. +40 21 201 374. Charters have now a separate parking facility.
Rental car counters for major rental agencies arelocated in the acccess corridor between Arrivals & Departures.
To get from Bucharest Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi (licensed taxis are outside in front of Arrivals), a bus or a train, or a hotel shuttle:
1. Shuttle buses in front of Arrivals run between the passenger terminal and the CFR Airport Stop where they can catch the express train.
(a) Bus 780 takes you from either the Arrivals or Departure Hall to the nearby Metrorex (subway) station located 900 meters from the Airport, which connects to Bucharest's 'Gara de Nord' main train station. Tickets are valid for bus & train.
(b) The Express Bus 783 takes you directly to the city center.
2. A direct train service from the Airport railway station - 900 meters from Airport grounds - runs to the main railway station Gara de Nord, requiring you to take a transfer bus. However, part of the Airport's expansion plans cca for relocation of the train station into the Airport.
Present and future Airport developments:
The current Phase III of the Airport Developmen Plan includes expansion of Departures & Arrivals Halls, as well as the Concourse. Upon completion 4,500 passengers can be processed per hour.
Furthermore constructon of a new Terminal 2, to be located at the eastern end of the current terminal, is bing considered.
Bucharest Henry Coanda OTP Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Bucharest Henry Coanda OTP Airport Update History
- Updated OTP Airport Intro page - Mar 28, 2013
- Updated OTP Airports page - Mar 28, 2013
- Updated OTP Direct Flights page - Mar 26, 2013
- Updated OTP Food & Stores page - Mar 6, 2013
- Updated OTP Main Terminals page - Jan 28, 2013