Charleston CHS Airport Overview
Charleston International Airport CHS serves mainly the three-county Charlston metropolitan area. Due to modern facilities and state-of-the-art operations, as well as its close proximity to the City of Charlston, the Airport is becoming a principal transportation hub for the southeastern part of the country.
The city of Charleston is a place where the past is still the present. Gas-lit cobblestone streets lead to unique boutiques and excellent southern dining. In its 300-year history, Charleston has been welcoming host to its visitors offering historic houses, museums, attractions, beaches and world-class golf. Carefully preserved homes, churches and public buildings line tree-shaded streets and attest to the great past of this city.
The Airport is located in North Charlston, South Carolina, off Interstate 26 and close to the city of Charleston. It is adjacent to Charleston Air Force Base--airfield facilities are used jointly with the Air Force.
With two runways and an estimated 2.6 million passengers in 2012, Charleston International Airport is served by major airlines offering direct flights to major U.S. cities, with connections around the world.
Note that JetBlue started serving JFK with two daily flights and BOS with one daily flight, using its 100-seat Embraer E190 fleet.
The three-level passenger terminal at Charleston International Airport, has Concourses A and B. The TSA office number is 843-767-6036; U.S. customs office 843-552-2696.
Parking options at Charleston Internatinal: (Details are in the parking section.)
Rental car counters for major agencies are in the arrivals area of the passenger terminal. The rental car lot is next to the terminal.
To get from Charleston International Airport to your destination, you have the option of renting a car, taking a taxi or a door-to-door shuttle to downtown Charleston, running every 15 minutes.
The pubic CARTA bus sevice (Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority) serves both Charleston and Dorchester Counties with regular and express service, as well as with dial-a-bus. For more information visit ridecarta.com. NOTE, however, that Express Summerville Route 3's bus stop is now at Dorchester Road, in front of Bosch (which is not a CRT Park & Ride lot).
Present and future Airport developments:
1. The aircraft parking apron expansion, made necessary due to Concourse B's expansion, is scheduled for completion Nov. 2013.
2. Rental car agencies will be located in one space, connected to the baggage claim hall - completion April 2014.
3. A Consolidated TSA security screening checkpoint is scheduled for Dec. 2014.
4. Renovation of ticketing hall is to start Jan. 2014, to be completed by May 2015.
5. Concourse B extension with 5 new gates and added amenities will start Sept. 2013 - scheduled for May 2015.
6. Concourse A renovation will offer better amenities - work starting Oct. 2014 & ending Aug. 2015
Charleston CHS Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- CHS Baggage Claim
- CHS Banking / ATM Services
- CHS Business Services
- CHS Emergency / Medical Services
- CHS Guest Services
- CHS Internet Access
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Charleston CHS Airport Update History
- Updated CHS Airport Intro page - Jun 5, 2013
- Updated CHS Airports page - Jun 5, 2013
- Updated CHS Main Terminals page - Jun 5, 2013
- Updated CHS Food & Stores page - May 12, 2013
- Updated CHS Official Website Links page - Mar 30, 2013
- Updated CHS Direct Flights page - Jan 23, 2013
- Updated CHS Parking On site page - Dec 31, 2012
- Updated CHS Banking ATM page - Dec 29, 2012
- Updated CHS Lost Found page - Dec 29, 2012