Ho Chi Minh Tan Son Nhat (SGN) Airport
Ho Chi Minh Tan Son Nhat SGN Airport Overview
SGN Airport is situated within city limits, in the Tan Binh District, 8 km from the city center (District 1) of Ho Chi Minh City, which is Vietnam's largest commercial city, and is accessible via motorway 22.
With two very long runways serving over 20 million passengers yearly (over half of Vietnam's total passenger traffic), Tan Son Nhat International Airport is hub to Air Mekong, VASCO, Vietnam & Jetstar Pacific airlines, and it is served by a growing number of international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE that due to the rapid increase in passenger numbers, count on long lines and flight delays.
Visitors picking up passengers need to meet them outside the terminal, where taxis, mortorcycles & buses are waiting.
The passenger terminal complex at Tan Son Nhat Airport consists of a Domestic Terminal and a new International Terminal.
Present and Future Airport Developments:
1. International Terminal Expansion project is ongoing - to be completed by 2017/8 - whereupon it is to have 120 check-in desks, 10 jet bridges, 19 gates, cover 138,000 square meters, & accommodate up to 13M passenger a year.
2. New Long Thanh International Airport: Tan Son Nhat Airport (with a 25M passenger capacity) shows an annual passenger growth rate of 15 percent and should reach full- or over-capacity by 2017. As airport expansion is not feasible, the National Assembly adoped resolution to invest in the Long Thanh International Airport project at Long Thanh district, Dong Nai province (about 50 km NE of Ho Chi Minh City) - to become regional hub for international air traffic.
The $16.3B project will be undertaken in 3 phases - the first of which (including runway) is to be completed by 2025 to accommodate 25 million passengers annually; the second phase thereafter aims for a 50M capacity. After completion of Phase 3, the new Airport is to be able to to handle 100 million passengers a year.
3. As Vietnam is gradually adding smaller airports in yet unserved regions, construction started on an airport in the south-central resort town of Phan Thiet, expected to open 2018.
Ho Chi Minh, Tan Binh District
- Website for Ho Chi Minh Tan Son Nhat: http://en.vietnamairport.vn/
- Phone: +84 8 3 848 5383 /fax 844 5127