Hong Kong International Airport HKG
(also referred to as 'Chek Lap Kok Airport) serves the greater Cities of Macau & Hong Kong in the Republic of China. Half of the world's population can be reached from this Airport in less than five hours by air. HKG was repeatedly named by Airports Council as the World's Best Airport', and was awarded by Skytrax & TTG 'Best Airport' for the tenth time, while RTRS bestowed it the "Asia-Pacific Airport Efficiency Excellence Award' . At the TTG Travel Awards 2013, HKIA was inducted into the Travel Hall of Fame. Furthermore in June 2016 the HKIA Customer Service Excellence Program Award was given to 900 Airport Staff for 'outstanding service'. In Dec. 2016 LHR won the Priority Pass Global Airport Lounge of the Year award.
Hong Kong Airport was built on reclaimed land on the island of Chek Lap Kok, off Lantau Island, located in the Zujjiang Kou inlet of the South China Sea, between the cities of Macau and Hong Kong. It is accessible from the main land via North Lantau Highway 8, leading to Airport Road.
With 70.5 passengers in 2016, and 2 long runways, HKG International is primary hub for its flag carrier Cathay Pacific, and to Dragonair, Hong Kong Express and Hong Kong Airlines, and is secondary hub for Air New Zealand. It is served by a multitude of national & international airlines, offering non-stop flights throughout mainland China, and direct and connecting flights to all parts of the globe. HKG is also a stopover venue for international airlines on their long-distance flights.
Check-in stations are available In-town, at Ferry ports and at Land point:
- Jetstar introduced in-town check-ins
at the Hong Kong & Kowloon MTR Airport Express train stations.
- Airline check-in at PRD & Macao: (a) at ferry ports: Dongguan Humen, Fuyong, Macao Maritime Ferry Terminal, Macao Taipa, Shekou; (b) at land points in Shenzhen: Futian Coach station, Gand Ehatre, Airport & Kingkey Banner Center.
On-Airport luxury hotels:
Regal Airport Hotel
(tel. +852 2286 8888 /fax 8686), connected to Terminal 1 via air-conditioned bridge, with extensive meeting and conference facilities and high-quality restaurants & bars.
SkyCity Marriott Hotel
(+852 3969 1888 /fax 2288), located on the waterfront to the east of the terminals, with extensive meeting facilities and various dining, entertainment and recreational options.
Hong Kong International Airport has two passenger Terminals
- T1 & T2, as well as North Satellite & Midfield Concourses.
Current and Future Airport developments: New Terminal 3 (T3) (part of the 3-runway system /3RS project) is currently under construction
- covering 280,000 sq.meters, with 57 air carrier positions, a landscaped courtyard at its center, and with lots of natural light. Completion is tentatively scheduled for 2024.
- In early February 2017, STIA officialy broke ground on its North Satellite Modernization Project, which calls for expansion and renovation the old facility - adding 8 new gates with a 240-foot extension of the building to the west. An upper-level mezzanine will be added, doublin current dining /retail area and adding a rooftop Alaska Airline lounge. Current phase 1 of the project i schedule for 2019, when renovation of the current facility start, to be completed by 2021.