New York Kennedy JFK Airport Overview
John F. Kennedy International Airport JFK is New York's primary international airport - serving the City of New York with its five Boroughs. In the last few years it has made extensive improvements to terminals, roadways and inter-terminal transportation. JFK also replaced their inter-terminal buses with the AirTrain, a light rail transit system, offering fast connections to NYC subways and train systems throughout the tri-state areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
JFK Airport is located in the Borough of Queens -at its southeastern section on Jamaica Bay - about 12 miles from lower Manhattan - and accessible via I-678 (Van Wyck Expressway); 878 Nassau Expressway and the Belt Parkway.
With four long runways and serving over 49 million passengers each year, John F. Kennedy International Airport is a hub for American, Delta, & JetBlue airlines, and is served by most national and international airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points on the globe.
Note that Federal Approval has been obtained for flights to & from Cuba for 'purposful travel' - passengers need to be either close relatives of Cuban residents or be involved in the medical or argricultural business sectors, or travel for educational or religious purposes.
The on-Airport Ramada Plaza Hotel (Building 144) is a convenient venue for overnight stays (Tel: 718-995-9000). To get to other nearby hotels, take the AirTrain to the Federal Circle station for free shuttles.
The passenger terminal complex at Kennedy Airport, referred to as the Central Terminal Area (CTA), with a one-mile circular roadway, now consists of six passenger terminals -T1, T2, T4, T5, T7 & T8 - arranged in a semi-circle.
Present & Future Airport Developments:
1. The $1.2B Expansion Project of T4 completed its first phase of construction May 24, 2013, whereupon Delta, the exclusive occupant, moves certain flights to T4, but still uses T2 & T3 (see details for T4 at the 'Terminal Maps' page). At the second phase of construcion, 11 gates are to be added at Concourse B for relocation of Delta's present domestic regional jet operations from T2. Delta is to provide bus & bus between T2 to T4. Thereafter, two more phases of construction will follow, whereupon T3 is slated for demolishion by 2015.
2. Expansion of T5 (called T5i) to be completed by 2015 - for JetBlue & partner airlines: the additional 145,000 sq.ft, on 3 levels, will have customs & immigration facilities. JetBlue then will consolidate domestic & international flights at T5.
New York Kennedy JFK Airport Update History
- JFK Airports - Oct 27, 2013
- JFK Terminal Map - Oct 27, 2013
- JFK Gate Offset - Oct 27, 2013
- JFK Food & Stores - Oct 23, 2013
- JFK Main Terminals - Oct 9, 2013
- JFK Airport Intro - Oct 9, 2013
- JFK Buses & Trains - Sep 29, 2013
- JFK Rental Cars - Sep 26, 2013
- JFK Persons With Disabilities - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Official Website Links - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Travelers Assistance - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Mail Center - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Lost Found - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Internet - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Guest Services - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Currency Exchange - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Banking ATM - Aug 21, 2013
- JFK Taxis & Limos - Jul 30, 2013
- JFK Airlines Served - Jun 14, 2013