JFK AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
New York Kennedy JFK Airport Overview
John F. Kennedy International Airport JFK, commonly referred to as 'JFK' or 'Kennedy' Airport', is New York's primary international airport. In the last few years it has made extensive improvements to terminals, roadways and inter-terminal transportation. JFK also replaced its slow inter-terminal buses with the AirTran, a light rail transit system, offering speedy connections to subways and train systems throughout its tri-state areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
The Airport is located on Jamaica Bay, in the New York City's Borough of Queens, at its southeastern section, and is only 12 miles from lower Manhattan (one of New York's 5 Boroughs). It is directly accessible via I-678, the Van Wyck Expwy; 878 Nassau Expwy and the Belt Pkwy.
With four long runways and an estimated 49.2 million passengers in 2012, John F. Kennedy International Airport is a hub for American, Delta, & JetBlue airlines, and is served by most national and international airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Note that Federal Approval has been obtained for flights to/fr Cuba for 'purposful travel' - passengers need to be either close relatives of Cuban residents or be involved in the medical or argricultural business sectors, or travel for educational or religious purposes.
The on-Airport Ramada Plaza Hotel (Building 144) is a convenient venue for overnight stays (Tel: 718-995-9000). To get to other nearby hotels, take the AirTrain to the Federal Circle station for free shuttles.
The passenger terminal complex at Kennedy Airport, referred to as the Central Terminal Area (CTA), with a one-mile circular roadway, consists of eight passenger terminals -T-1 through T-8 - arranged in a semi-circle (T6 is being demolished for future T5 expansion). (For more information please refer to 'Terminal Maps' page.)
Parking options at Kennedy Airport includes (a) Long- and Short-term parking and (b) parking in the Central Terminal Area (CTA), (c) the cell phone lot. (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental Cars at JFK Airport: Each terminal's arrivals level (usually near the baggage carousel) has either a rental car counter or a courtesy phone for each rental car agency. The rental car offices for all rental car agencies are located along the Van Wyck Expressway near the entrance to the airport. Take the AirTrain to the Federal Circle Station for car rentals.
To get from Kennedy Airport to your destination, you have the option of renting a car, taking a taxi or limo, the Airtrain to connecting transportation, or take a bus or car, or van service.
1. By Car & Van Service: Airlink N.Y. 877-599-8200; ASl County Express 800-914-4223; Super Shuttle Long Island 800-742-9824; All County Express 800-914-4223; Connecticut Limo 800-472-5466;
2. By Train Service: The Airtrain which stops at every terminal, divides at Federal Circle station (for rental cars, hotel & cargo area shuttles) into two separate routes : The Jamaica & the Howard Beach Routes. (The Howard Beach Route has one stop in between at Lefferts Blvd. (for long-term parking A, Kiss & Fly, & NYC Buses B15, Q10 Ltd.)
(a) At Jamaica Station you can use the E train to midtown Manhattan & Queens; the Long Island Railroad to either Jamaica Center & Long Island, or at opposite to lower Manhattan & Brooklyn via J or Z subway. Or you can connect to the following NYC 'Q' buses: Q56, 8, 9, 20, 24, 25, 30, 31, 34, 40, 4, 43, 44, 54, 56, 60 & 75.
(b) At Howard Beach station you can connect to NYC Bus Q11, or use the A train to the Rockaways, or on opposite side the A train to Brooklyn, lower & mid-Manhattan & the Bronx.
2. By Bus Service:
(c) From Grand Central Station (42d/Lexington Avenues) and Penn Station (34th/8th Avenue) you can also connect to the Long Island Railroad or the PATH to New Jersey; or by Bus at the Bus Terminal (8th Ave & 41/42 St.)
2. By Bus Service:
(a) The NYC Airporter Bus, tel. 718-777-5111 runs every 30 minutes and costs about $16. For online tickets visit NYCAirporter.com.
(b) NYC buses B15, Q3 & Q10 stop at the arrivals roadway of Terminal 5 to Queens: (a) Q10 connects to the A-line subway station at Lefferts Blvd., and to E & F subway lines at Kew Gardens; (b) Q3 bus connects 169th St. & Hillside Ave. for NYC subway line F. (c) B15 bus connects at New Lots & Livonia Avenues for NYC subway lines 3 & 4.
JFK connections to Newark & LaGuardia Airports:
1. To Newark Airport - AirTrain JFK (877) 535-2478; State Shuttle 800-427-4207 (90 mins.); ETS Air Shuttle 718-221-5341 (1 hr); Newark Liberty Airport Express Bus 877-8-NEWARK (90-125 mins).
2. To LaGuardia Airport - ETS Air Shuttle 718-221-5341; All County Express 914-381-4223; NYC Airporer 718-777-5111. Travel time 45-60 minutes.
3. For private limos & van service go to Ground Transportation Information Counter in the baggage claim area. Travel time to LaGuardia 30 mins; to Newark Liberty 75-90 mins.
Present & Future Airport Developments:
1. The $1.2B (yes Billion) Expansion Project of T4 completed its first phase of construction May 24, 2013, whereupon Delta, the exclusive occupant, moves certain flights to T4, but still uses T2 & T3 (see details for T4 at the 'Terminal Maps' page). At the second phase of construcion, 11 gates are to be added at Concourse B for relocation of Delta's present domestic regional jet operations from T2. Delta is to provide bus & bus between T2 to T4. Thereafter, two more phases of construction will follow, whereupon T3 is slated for demolishion by 2015.
2. Expansion of T5 (called T5i) to be completed by 2015 - for JetBlue & partner airlines: the additional 145,000 sq.ft, on 3 levels, will have customs & immigration facilities. JetBlue then will consolidate domestic & international flights at T5.
New York Kennedy JFK Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- JFK Baggage Carts / Skycap
- JFK Baggage Claim
- JFK Banking / ATM Services
- JFK Business Services
- JFK Currency Exchange
- JFK Emergency / Medical Services
- JFK Guest Services
- JFK Internet Access
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
New York Kennedy JFK Airport Update History
- Updated JFK Airports page - May 16, 2013
- Updated JFK Food & Stores page - May 16, 2013
- Updated JFK Airport Intro page - May 14, 2013
- Updated JFK Main Terminals page - May 14, 2013
- Updated JFK Terminal Map page - May 13, 2013
- Updated JFK Gate Offset page - May 13, 2013
- Updated JFK Official Website Links page - May 3, 2013
- Updated JFK Airlines Served page - May 3, 2013
- Updated JFK Direct Flights page - Mar 11, 2013
- Updated JFK Taxis & Limos page - Feb 16, 2013
- Updated JFK Parking On site page - Nov 29, 2012