La Guardia LGA Airport Overview
While LaGuardia Airport has long been considered as one of the worst U.S. Airports, it may be noted that serious steps have now been taken to remedy this situation - see 'Future Airport Developments' below.
LGA Airport is only eight miles from midtown Manhattan, accessible directly from Grand Central Parkway (the extension of I-278). Located in the Borough of Queens, City of New York, it borders on the areas of Astoria, Jackson Heights & East Elmhurst.
With an estimated annual passenger count of 27 million, LaGuardia Airport is served by many airlines offering nonstop daily flights to numerous destinations in the U.S. and Canada, as well as by seasonal flights to Aruba, the Bahamas and Bermuda (as these destinations offer US Border preclearance on return flights).
- JetBlue now offers six daily weekday flights to Boston BOS, with two Saturday and three on Sunday roundtrips. Envoy Air will reopen its LaGuardia base in early 2017.
La Guardia Airport has four passenger terminals: TA through TD - currently served by the following Airlines:
Terminal A: Delta, Delta Shuttle Chicago & Washington D.C.
- TB, Concourse A - Air Canada, JetBlue, United
- TB, Concourse. B - Southwest, Spirit,
- TB, Concourse C - American, Envoy, Frontier, United, Virgin America
- TB, Concourse D - American
- TC - American Shuttle, Delta, Delta Connection, Delta Shuttle Boston
- TD - Delta, WestJet.
- It is highly recommended that passengers arrive at the Airport two hours prior to scheduled flight departure - allowing time for check-in, getting boarding pass, and going through security check (including screening of carry-on bags).
- After summer 2016's extreme traffic jams, the Port Authority is to take measures in alleviating those problems by adding a new lane in front of the airport. It also considers a direct right turn at 94th Street and eliminating the loop installed early August. PA created a coordination center monitoring traffic flow.
Future Airport developments: In early June 2016 the current airport operator (PANYNJ) executed a lease agreement valid until 2050 with LaGuardia Gateway Partners which is to finance, design, construct, operate and maintain LaGuardia Airport's the new Terminal B facility. The US$4B project is to unify the terminal structure by demolishing the existing Terminal B and replacing it with a larger structure (with more natural light and two pedestrian bridges to cut down on gate delays), and a new Central Hall - then to be joined with Delta's terminals C & D (to be redeveloped and linked to new arrivals & departures halls) - resulting in the elimination of current gate delays and airplane congestion.
- Ground breaking of the new main terminal took place in June 2016 (representing the 'linchpin' in the $4B Airport reconstruction) - to be completed by second half of 2018. (Note that passenger parking will now require shuttle buses, as parking facilities are being moved further away).
- Replacement approval of TC & TD has been granted July 2016 for a new Delta terminal with 4 concourses and 37 gates (33 with access to dual taxi lanes), connected by a centralized check-in lobby, security checkpoint, and baggage claim. After regulatory approvals and final lease negotiations, construction will start at the earliest time. The terminal will house a larger Delta Sky Club lounge with a Sky Deck, wider concourses, larger gate holdrooms, more seating and concessions space and will offer direct access to parking garage, have improved roadways, drop-off/pick-up areas, and a curbside check-in bypass connecting directly to security checkpoint.
- Groundbreaking took place on Dec. 15, 2016 to turn the former TWA Flight Center into a 505-room hotel.
- Once the entire project is completed by 2022, the unified terminal is to be 600 feet closer to Grand Central Pkwy, have 240 percent more space for runways & flight operations, and offer three times a many security gates and pedestrian bridges to gates.
Ditmars Blvd & 94th St
Flushing, NY 11369
- Website for La Guardia: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/laguardia.html
- Phone: (718) 533 3400