San Juan Luis Munoz SJU Airport Overview
San Juan Munoz International Airport SJU is the busiest airport within the Caribbeans and the most important one within the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The new operator of the Airport is now operated by Aerostar Holdings LLP (which is equally owned by ASUR & Highstar Capital IV), which intends to transform it into a world-class airport .
San Juan Airport is not only the final destination for many travelers, but is also a transfer hub for flights from the United States, Mexico, South America, Europe and Canada, whose passengers continue to other Airports within Puerto Rico or to other Caribbean island destinations. Note that Puerto Rico adheres to Atlantic Standard Time (AST) (EST +1; GMT -4) year-round!
The Airport is located in the town of Carolina, 9 miles/ 14 km southeast of the the capital city of San Juan, on the Island of Puerto Rico, in the Caribbean Sea. Quick access to the City is offered via the Teodoro Moscoso Bridge over the Bay. Motorway Pr-17 connects to major highway Pr-26 Expreso Loiza / Baldoriorty de Castro which (to the west) passes Isla Verde, Ocean Park & Condado sectors which are tourist areas, into Old San Juan.
With two long runways and an estimated 8.3 million passengers in 2012, Luis Munoz Marin Airport is served by major and minor, national and international airlines offering direct or connecting flights to all points of the globe.
1. The Airport can now serve as port of entry for flights to/from Cuba (restricted to 'purposeful' travel - passengers need to be either close relatives of Cuban residents, or be involved in the medical or agricultural business sectors, or travel for educational or religious purposes.
2. American Eagle, a major carrier to the Caribbean islands via turboprop planes, does not go directly to the other islands, but only via its hub at San Juan Munoz Airport.
3. When transferring from Munoz Airport to another Caribbean island keep in mind that turboprop aircraft need adjust according to the weather, and 'flying around' the weather may take considerably longer, leaving you waiting at Munoz for your connectiona long time!
The on-Airport Best Western San Juan Airport Hotel (tel. 787-791-1700 /fax 1248) - 'steps from American Arlines counter' - offers a business center.
San Juan Munoz International Airport has one passenger terminal with Concourses A through E. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at SJU Airport include the multi-level Parking Garage (which is surrounded by the passenger terminal, and is open 24/7; and the Long-term parking lot with 2,000 spaces.
Rental car counters for major rental agencies are located in Concourse E, and courtesy phones are in the Arrivals area.
To get from San Juan Munoz Airport to your destination you have the option of renting a car, taking a taxi or limo or using one of the many door-to-door shuttles or courtesy hotel shuttles available at the Airport. A ground transportation desk offers information and books tickets.
1. White vans take you to the Old San Juan Cruise Ship Piers - a 45-minute transfer.
2. Buses to Old San Juan need to be paid in coins only (approx. $0.75-$1) - you find the bus stop on the upper departure level, at the right d, which has a sign "Parada" & shows departure times. Take Buses B40 or C45 to the next stop Isla Verde and switch to the A5 bus to Old San Juan bus station which is near Cruise Ship Pier 4.
3. A ferry service runs in San Juan at Pier 2 across the bay to Catano.
Future Airport Developments: It is anticipated that the new Airport operator Aerostar Holdings will soon offer an improved Airport site in both Spanish & English, with news articles regarding the status of its new airport improvements.
37250 Airport Station
San Juan, PR 00937 0250
- Website for San Juan Luis Munoz: http://www.prpa.gobierno.pr
- Phone: (787) 791 4670
San Juan Luis Munoz SJU Services
Terminal Maps and Services
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
San Juan Luis Munoz SJU Airport Update History
- Updated SJU Airport Intro page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated SJU Airports page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated SJU Main Terminals page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated SJU Official Website Links page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated SJU Direct Flights page - Feb 20, 2013