San Juan Luis Munoz (SJU) Airport
San Juan Luis Munoz SJU Airport Overview
San Juan Munoz International Airport SJU is the busiest airport within the Caribbeans and the most important one within the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The new operator of the Airport - as of March 2013 - is Aerostar Holdings LLP (which is equally owned by ASUR & Highstar Capital IV), which intends to transform it into a world-class airport .
San Juan Airport is not only the final destination for many travelers, but is also a transfer hub for flights from the United States, Mexico, South America, Europe and Canada, whose passengers continue to other Airports within Puerto Rico or to other Caribbean island destinations. Note that Puerto Rico adheres to Atlantic Standard Time (AST) (EST +1; GMT -4) year-round!
The Airport is located in the town of Carolina, 9 miles/ 14 km southeast of the the capital city of San Juan, on the Island of Puerto Rico, in the Caribbean Sea. Quick access to the City's financial district of Hato Rey is offered via the Teodoro Moscoso Bridge over the Bay. Motorway Pr-17 connects to major highway Pr-26 Baldorioty de Castro Expressway - which (to the west) passes Isla Verde, Ocean Park & Condado sectors which are tourist areas, into Old San Juan.
With two long runways and an estimated 8.3 million passengers in 2012, Luis Munoz Marin Airport is used as Caribbean hub by Cape Air, and is served by many large & small airlines offering direct or connecting flights to all points of the globe. JetBlue is currently the Airport's major airline offering over 50 destination choices.
1. The Airport can now serve as port of entry for flights to/from Cuba (restricted to 'purposeful' travel - passengers need to be either close relatives of Cuban residents, or be involved in the medical or agricultural business sectors, or travel for educational or religious purposes.
2. American Eagle, a major carrier to the Caribbean islands via turboprop planes, does not go directly to the other islands, but only via its hub at San Juan Munoz Airport.
3. When transferring from Munoz Airport to another Caribbean island keep in mind that turboprop aircraft need adjust according to the weather, and 'flying around' the weather may take considerably longer, leaving you waiting at Munoz for your connectiona long time!
The on-Airport Best Western San Juan Airport Hotel (tel. 787-791-1700 /fax 1248) - 'steps from American Arlines counter' - offers a business center.
San Juan Munoz International Airport has one passenger terminal with Concourses A through E. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at SJU Airport include the multi-level Parking Garage (which is surrounded by the passenger terminal, and is open 24/7; and the Long-term parking lot with 2,000 spaces.
Rental car counters for major rental agencies are located in Concourse E, and courtesy phones are in the Arrivals area.
To get from San Juan Munoz Airport to your destination you have the option of renting a car, taking a taxi or limo or using one of the many door-to-door shuttles or courtesy hotel shuttles available at the Airport. A ground transportation desk offers information and books tickets.
1. White vans take you to the Old San Juan Cruise Ship Piers - a 45-minute transfer.
2. Buses to Old San Juan need to be paid in coins only (approx. $0.75-$1) - you find the bus stop on the upper departure level, at the right d, which has a sign "Parada" & shows departure times. Take Buses B40 or C45 to the next stop Isla Verde and switch to the A5 bus to Old San Juan bus station which is near Cruise Ship Pier 4.
3. A ferry service runs in San Juan at Pier 2 across the bay to Catano.
Future Airport Developments: The new Airport operator Aerostar Holdings intends to make Munos Airport into a world-class airport and pledged that considereble changes will be apparent within the next three years.
37250 Airport Station
San Juan, PR 00937 0250
- Website for San Juan Luis Munoz: http://www.prpa.gobierno.pr
- Phone: (787) 791 4670
San Juan Luis Munoz SJU Airport Update History
- SJU Airports - Oct 25, 2013
- SJU Airlines Served - Jun 25, 2013
- SJU Airport Intro - Jun 13, 2013
- SJU Main Terminals - Jun 13, 2013
- SJU Official Website Links - Jun 13, 2013