Newark Liberty International Airport EWR serves both New Jersey and New York residents, and is one of three major Airports administered by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (the others being JFK & LaGuardia).
EWR Airport is located within city limits of Newark & Elizabeth, and is only 16 miles from midtown Manhattan - situated near the New Jersey Turnpike (Exits 13A & 14), Routes 1 & 9, and I-78. The 'Airtrain Newark' serves all terminals and parking facilities P1 through P4, and continues on to the Newark Liberty Airport Station - connecting there to other trains and subways in New Jersey & New York City.
With three long runways, and 40.4M passengers in 2016, Newark Liberty International is hub to United Airlines, and is served by all of the major U.S. and numerous international airlines, offering nonstop and connecting flights around the country and the world.
- As of March 9, 2017, Spirit Airlines offers daily flights to Myrtle Beach, SC; while United offers daily flights to San Jose, CA
- As of March 12, 2017 Alaska Airlines offers daily flights to San Jose, CA
- As of May 15, 2017, Alaska Airlines offers a third daily flights to Seattle, WA
- As of May 25, 2017, Delta offers daily flights to Glasgow, Scotland.
- TSA urges passengers to arrive for domestic flights 2 hours, for international flights 3 hours prior to scheduled departures.
- Recent TSA checkpoint improvements: The new 19-lane securiy checkpoint at TC now has 17 lanes with a new system - automatig the bins used by passengers to deposit their belongings - to be retrieved after each use and sent back to the front of the line - reducing bottlenecks. Passengers pull bins from underneath the conveyor belt and pack their items in a partitioned section of the belt. The remaining two lanes with standard sreening are for oversized items.
- All terminals have new roadway access (the roadway approach splits into Levels 1 & 2/3, which splits again into separate roadways for specific airlines) and new terminal level designations: Levels 1, 2 and 'All Gates'.
- Uniform signs & new roadway approaches:
- yellow signs point to airline gates, ticketing and flight services;
- green signs point to ground transportation, and
- black signs point to restrooms, telephones and other amenities.
Current Airlines, Codes, telephone numbers, Terminals (TA, TB, TC) & check-in /arrivals levels:
Aer Lingus EL (tel. 516-6222-4222) at TB, level 2 check-in & arrivals
Air Canada AC (tel. 888) 247-2262) at TA: level 3 check-in; level 2 arrivals
Air China CA (tel. 800) 882-8122) at TB: level 3 check-in and arrivals
Air India AI (tel. 212) 751-6200) at TB: level 3 check-in and arrivals
Alaska Airlines AS (tel. 800 426-0333) at TA: level 3 check-in & arrivals
Allegiant G4 (tel. 702-505-8888) at TB: level 2 check-in and arrivals.
American Airlines AA (tel. 800) 433-7300) at TA: level 3 check-in, level 2 arrivals
Austrian Airlines OS (tel. 800 843-0002) at TB: level 3 check-in, level 2 arrivals
British Airways BA (tel. 800-247-9297) at TB: level 1 check-in and arrivals
Cathay Pacific CX ( tel. 800 233-2742) at TB: level 3 check-in and arrivals
Delta DL (tel. 800 221-1212 (dom); 800 241-4141 (int'l) at TB: level 2 check-in; level 1 arrivals
El Al LY (tel. 800 223-6700, 212 768-9200) at TB: level 3 check-in; level 1 arrivals
Elite 7Q (tel. 877-393-2510) at TB: level 3 check-in & arrivals
Emirates EK (tel. 800-777-3999) at TB: level 3 check-in and arrivals
Ethiopian ET (tel. 800 445-2733) at TB: level 3 check-in & arrivals
Icelandair FI (tel. 800) 223-5500) at TB: level 2 check-in & arrivals
JetBlue B6 (tel. 800 538-2583) at TA: level 3 check-in; level 2 arrivals
La Compagnie B0 (tel. 800 218-8187) at TB: level 3 check-in; level 2 arrivals
Lufthansa LH (tel. 800 645-3880) at TB: level 3 check-in, level 1 arrivals
OpenSkies EC (tel. 866 581-3596) at TB: level 1 check-in & arrivals
Porter Airlines PD (tel. 888 619-8622) at TB: level 3 check-in, level 1 arrivals
SAS SK (tel. 800 221-2350) at TB: level 3 check-in; level 1 arrivals
Southwest WN (tel. 800 435-9792) at TA: level 3 check-in; level 2 arrivals
Spirit NK (tel. 801-401-2222) at TB: level 1 check-in; & arrivals
Swiss LX (tel. 877 359-7947) at TB: level 3 check-in, level 1 arrivals
TAP Portugal TP (tel. 800 221-7370) at TB: level 3 check-in, level 1 arrivals
United /United Express UA (tel. 800 241-6522): see below *
Virgin America VX (tel. 877 359-8474) at TA: level 3 check-in, level 2 arrivals
Virgin Atlantic VS (tel. 800 862-8621) at TB: level 2 check-in; level 1 arrivals.
WOW Air WW (tel. 888-209-3170) at TB: level 2 check-in and arrivals
* United / United Express UA: All of United's transcontinental flights use EWR. United's Premier Access check-in is on Level 3. United Global Services members and customers traveling in United Global First should go to Level 3, Door 4 and take the escalator to the C-2 checkpoint for check-in.
- United Airlines UA: (a) Departures are in TC, check-in levels 2 & 3; (b) Arrivals are at TB for int'l flights, at TC for both int'l & dom. flights; Arrivals level 1 is for both TB & TC flights.
- United Express UA: (a) Departures are in in TA, check-in level 3, and TC, check-in levels 2 & 3; (b) its Arrivals are at TA, level 2, and at TC, level 1.
The on-Airport Marriott Hotel (Tel: 1-973-623-0006), offers spacious facilities and conference rooms with WiFi access. Shuttle vans transport guests from terminals to the hotel. The hotel is presently undergoing upgrade and expansion work.
Newark Liberty Airport has three passenger terminals - TA, TB & TC.
Present & Future Airport Developments: United Airlines' Terminal C upgrades to check-in area and rest of TC have now been completed.
- Construction on a 'new 3-level Terminal A to replace the aging current TA is currently in the design stage - to be built in a T configuration with 33 new domestic gates & intended to operate as a common-use facility - including a ticketing lobby, equipped with the latest check-in options, providing efficient passenger processing /movement. Baggage processing & screening are to be consolidated. The terminal will have new departures & arrivals roadways, a parking garage with pedestrian bridge to the Terminal, which is to be linked to the Air Train. New TA will have a 3,000-space parking garage. Completion of new TA, with a capacity of handling 13.6M passengers annually, is scheduled for partial opening by 2020, and for completion by 2022.
- The AirTrain system is under repair and thereby should extend its life until 2030 (while a new replacement is being sought).