OverviewPublic Transportation fom Newark Airport: (The Airtrain inside the Airport takes 7 mins to Terminal C, 9 mins to Terminal B & 11 mins to Terminal A.)
For New Jersey or Amtrak Train connections, passengers need to use the AirTrain Newark system. (for train schedules visit either: www.amtrak.com, www.NJtransit.com or www.airtrainnewark.com.
AirTrain Connections: Air Train is free within the Airport & thereafter it is $5.50 (hold on to your ticket - you need it twice), which is included on both the New Jersey Transit and Amtrak tickets to/from the Airport. The AirTrain stations of each terminal have ticket counters. The Air Train connects passengers at the Newark Penn Station (a 15 minutes trip) to:
- the Path /NJ Transit to Journal Square (30 mins) & to Hoboken (55 mins) in New Jersey; and to Manhattan's 33rd Street (60 mins) & the World Trade Center downtown (40 mins) in New York. Path trains run underground in Manhattan.
- the NJ Transit to New York's Penn Station (30 mins) - current fare $12.50); or to Trenton, N.J. (66 mins); for more information open www.njtransit.com
- the Amtrak train (tel. 800-872-7245 or visit: www.amtrak.com) to either:
(a) Philadelphia, PA (70 mins); between 6am-9pm six or more trains arrive hourly at the Airport station - from 9pm-midnight its only four trains with service.
(b) to New York City and beyond (some trains continue their route all the way to Boston, with some stops in between.
New Jersey bus lines 28, 37, 62, 67 & 107 serve the Airport - for more information open the NJ Transit website at www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo.
The multi-colored Newark Airport Express Bus to Manhattan ($16 one-way or $28 r/trip) - departs daily every 15 mins 6:45am-11:15pm; thereafter every 30 mins. (For more information open: www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp
Bus pickups: at Terminal A, Arrivals, at Courtyard A, lanes 1-4; at Terminal B outside of Arrivals, lane 2; and at Terminal C, outside of Arrivals, at bus stops 5 & 6.
First stop in Manhattan is Grand Central Station at 41st Street (between Park & Lexington Avenues); second stop is on Bryant Park at 42nd St/ 5th Ave.; last stop is at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st St., between 8th & 9th Avenues). Count on at least an hour to first stop, add another 20 minutes to the last stop during rush hours.
Passengers heading westwards to Pennsylvania should take the Trans-Bridge Lines. (open: www.transbridgelines.com/daily.htm
Connecting to JFK Airport: The least expesive way is taking the AirTrain to the Newark Penn Station, switching there to the underground Path Train, getting off at Manhattan's New York Penn Station; following signs to the A train subway station, and taking the A subway all the way to Howard Beach station, then transferring to the Airtrain which serves all terminals - count on up to 2 hours transfer time at rush hours when A trains run express, add half hour during non-rush hours. Aside from taxis & limos, you may want to try the Olympic Airporter, which runs every hour from EWR's Terminal A to JFK's Terminal 1 - taking 1.5 hours (open olympic-limo.com)
If opting for private Limo or Van Service (visit Ground Transport Information Counter in baggage claim areas of the terminals) - the transfer takes an estimated 75-90 minutes travel time.
Connecting to LaGuardia Airport (LGA): You have several options:
- metered taxis available from uniformed dispatchers outside the terminals; or
- for private Limo or Van Service visit the Ground Transport Information Counter in baggage claim areas of the terminals) - estimated transfer time: 60-90 minutes;
- The ETS Air Shuttle (tel. 718-221-5341) takes 45-60 mins.
- the least expensive option: Take the AirTrain to Newark Penn Station, switching there to the underground Path Train, getting off at Manhattan's Penn Station with two options there: (i) follow signs to the subway station, take the E or F train to 'Jackson Heights/ Roosevelt Avenue' station & from there take the Q buses to LGA, taking only minutes to LGA - (subways have route/transfer maps in their trains); or (ii) simply exit Penn Station and take the Public bus 'NYC Airporter' running frequently directly to LaGuardia (tel. 718-777-5111 - you can purchase tickets online at NYCAirporter.com.)