OverviewPublic Transportation fom Newark Airport: (The Airtrain serving 24/7 inside the Airport takes 7 mins to Terminal C, 9 mins to Terminal B & 11 mins to Terminal A.)
For New Jersey or Amtrak Train connections, passengers need to use the AirTrain Newark system. (for train schedules visit either: www.amtrak.com, www.NJtransit.com or www.airtrainnewark.com. For AirTrain Newark rail connetions map open: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/Travel-Guide-AirTrainNewark.pdf
AirTrain Connections: Air Train is free within the Airport & thereafter it is $5.50 (hold on to your ticket - you need it twice), which is included on both the New Jersey Transit and Amtrak tickets to/from the Airport. The AirTrain stations of each terminal have ticket counters. The Air Train connects passengers at the Newark Penn Station (a 15 minutes trip) to:
- the Path /NJ Transit to Journal Square (30 mins) & to Hoboken (55 mins) in New Jersey; and to Manhattan's 33rd Street (60 mins) & the World Trade Center downtown (40 mins) in New York. Path trains run underground in Manhattan.
- the NJ Transit to New York's Penn Station (30 mins) - current fare $12.50); or to Trenton, N.J. (66 mins); for more information open www.njtransit.com
- the Amtrak train (tel. 800-872-7245 or visit: www.amtrak.com) to either:
(a) Philadelphia, PA (70 mins); between 6am-9pm six or more trains arrive hourly at the Airport station - from 9pm-midnight its only four trains with service.
(b) to New York City and beyond (some trains continue their route all the way to Boston, with some stops in between.
- The NJ Express Bus runs daily, 24/7 and depart daily every 15 mins 6:45am-11:15pm; thereafter every 30 mins. (For more information open: www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp (one-way $16, round trip $28). Buses depart on level 1 outside of TA (stop 5), of TB (Stop 2) and of TC (stops 5 & 6) and all make stops at Grand Central Station (NYC east side, 41st St.), at Bryant Park (42d St. & 5th Av.), and at Port Authority Bus Terminal (NYC west side at 41st St. (betw. 8th & 9th Ave.)
- New Jersey bus lines 28, 37, 62, 67 & 107 serve the Airport - for more information open the NJ Transit website at www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo.
- Passengers heading westwards to Pennsylvania should take the Trans-Bridge Lines. (open: www.transbridgelines.com/daily.htm
- Connecting to JFK Airport: The least expesive way is taking the AirTrain to the Newark Penn Station, switching there to the underground Path Train, getting off at Manhattan's New York Penn Station; following signs to the A train subway station, and taking the A subway all the way to Howard Beach station, then transferring to the Airtrain which serves all terminals - count on up to 2 hours transfer time at rush hours when A trains run express, add half hour during non-rush hours. Aside from taxis & limos, you may want to try the Olympic Airporter, which runs every hour from EWR's Terminal A to JFK's Terminal 1 - taking 1.5 hours (open olympic-limo.com)
If opting for private Limo or Van Service (visit Ground Transport Information Counter in baggage claim areas of the terminals) - the transfer takes an estimated 75-90 minutes travel time.
- Connecting to LaGuardia Airport (LGA): You have several options:
- metered taxis available from uniformed dispatchers outside the terminals; or
- for private Limo or Van Service visit the Ground Transport Information Counter in baggage claim areas of the terminals) - estimated transfer time: 60-90 minutes;
- The ETS Air Shuttle (tel. 718-221-5341) takes 45-60 mins.
- the least expensive option: Take the AirTrain to Newark Penn Station, switching there to the underground Path Train, getting off at Manhattan's Penn Station with two options there:
(a) follow signs to the subway station, take the E or F train to 'Jackson Heights/ Roosevelt Avenue' station & from there take the Q buses to LGA which, take only minutes to LGA (subways have route/transfer maps in their trains); or
(b) simply exit Penn Station and take the Public bus 'NYC Airporter' running frequently directly to LaGuardia (tel. 718-777-5111 - you can purchase tickets online at NYCAirporter.com.)