Phuket (HKT) Airport
Phuket HKT Airport Overview
The average temperatures at Phuket Island are between 31-33 high and 23-25 low (degrees Celsius). The main rainy season in general lasts from May through October.
HKT Airport is located on the west coast of Phuket island, 32.8 km northeast from downtown Phuket City, accessible via Thep Kasatri Road. It is open 24/7.
Distances to other areas (longest to shortest): Patong: 37.7 km; Kata : 47.4 km; Karon : 43.4 km; Panwa : 43.9 km; Bangtao: 21 km; Rawai: 48 km; Chalong: 40 km; Kamala : 27.6 km; Surin: 23.3 km; and Mai Khao: 8 km.
With a long runway and over 9 Million passengers annually, Phuket International Airport is hub to Thai AirAsia and is served by domestic and international airlines, as well as by international charters.
1. Travelers who transferred in Bangkok and completed the immigration process there, will arrive at Phuket at domestic terminal - yet your bags will arrive at International Terminal. A sign will guide you to it. Thereafter it's 10 more meters to the exit. Note that even after claiming your bags, you still have the option to pick up a duty-free item.
2. It is advisable to book your hotel and your transfer in advance, as you won't be able to get any special deals on arrival. If you have booked a hotel - step outside the terminal where a hotel rep will hold up your name. Major hotels are 30-40 km from the Airport!
3. SIM cards are availale at minimarts. You can go to the International Service Center on the ground level where your mobile device can be set up for free. (Mobil phones can be rented on the first level. For quick internet use go to level 1 (15 mins cost $3).
4. AOT (the Airport Operator) ordered for renovation/expansion of the current terminal, and construction of a new International Terminal - 'to be completed in 2015/6'. A new temporary relief Terminal X is now in operation (see below*). Other projects, including a multi-level garage, road work, airport parking stands, and more, are part of the Airport Renovation/ Extension project.
Phuket International Airport has at present one 2-level passenger terminal, divided into domestic (left) & international (right) travel.
The ground level - arrivals / baggage claim - is divided into a domestic and an international Arrivals Lounge with baggage carousels, duty-free shops, customs & immigration, and shared passenger hall with rental car counters, currency exchange, Information counter, left baggage, lost & found, food d& drink, and tour service.
The upper level - departure level / gate areas - houses the passenger hall with check-in counters, some food & drink & shop concessions, with acces to the separate Domestic and International Departure Lounges - leading to the departure gates. (Off-center is a currency exchange booth, a service center, a tour operator booth, tourist counter, internet service, AOT counters, and 2 VIP rooms.)
Bank ATMs from major banks are located at post-security areas and offer decent exchange rates.
NOTE: This terminal is now being renovated & extended - to be tentatively completed by May 2015.
* The single-level Temporary Terminal X with 1,320 sq.meters - opened February 2014 - able to handle 1,000 passengers an hour - is to relieve overcrowding at the old terminal. It houses 10 check-in counters, baggage storage space, passenger waiting area, outdoor resting area, a commercial zone & airline offices.
Important telephone numbers:
Central information 07 632 7230-7; Fax: 07 632 7230; Information counters 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1100, 1111, 1122;
Security center 07 632 7230-7, ext. 1191; Immigration 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1109; Customs 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1161
Thailand tourist counter 07 623 7110;
First Aid 07 632 7230-7, ext. 1133;
Airlines 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1206.
Present and future Airport developments: By 2016 it is expected that the new International Terminal will open, whereupon the current terminal will only handle domestic flights. Further redevelopment work continues up to 2017. Meanwhile, the temporary Terminal X will relieve check-in congestions in the current main terminal.