Phuket (HKT) Airport
Phuket HKT Airport Overview
Phuket International Airport HKT - Thailand's second-busiest Airport - serves the beautiful island of Phuket and its nearby provinces - a much sought-after vacation destination for travelers around the world. Phuket Island is situated off the West coast of southern Thailand, bordering the Indian Ocean.
The average temperatures at Phuket Island are between 31-33 high and 23-25 low (degrees Celsius). The main rainy season in general lasts from May through October.
The Airport is located on the west coast of Phuket island, 32 km northeast from downtown Phuket City, accessible via Thep Kasatri Road. It is open 24/7.
With a long runway and an estimated 9.5 Million passengers in 2012, Phuket International Airport is hub to Thai AirAsia and is served by domestic and international airlines, as well as by international charters.
NOTICE: 1. According to recent news, there are long waiting lines at Immigration during peak hours - taking presently up to 90 mins - and expected to get even longer - there is no short-term solution to this problem.
2. It is advisable to book your hotel and your transfer in advance, as you won't be able to get any special deals on arrival.
Phuket International Airport has at present one 2-level passenger terminal, divided into domestic (left) & international (right) travel.
The ground level - arrivals / baggage claim: As you enter the terminal you find:
(a) in the center The Marriott Phuket and Hilton Phuket Arcadia hotel counters; right behind it are general hotel reservation and Holiday Inn counters; followed by the Limo counter, some more hotel & tourist counters & a Kung Thai bank counter and a Service area.
(b) To the left are some snack stands & a mini-mart, behind them are the baggage storage and rental car counters, and between the 2 restrooms are more tourist & hotel counters, followed by a Service center, to the left of wich is the AOT office and a VIP room.
(c) to the right are facilities for international travelers: Near entrance is a mini mart, 5 bank counters & a cash machine. Behind th are another bank, tourist & rental car counter, as well as foreign exchange booth. This area also has a plant quarantine. Both right and left sides have baggage carousels.
The upper level - departure level / gate areas: Most of the center to right of this level is occupied by food& drink and retail concessions; off-center is a currency exchange booth, a service center, a tour operator booth, tourist counter, internet service, AOT counters, and 2 VIP rooms.
Important telephone numbers: Central information 07 632 7230-7; Information counters 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1100, 1111, 1122; Security center 07 632 7230-7, ext. 1191; Thailand tourist counter 07 623 7110; Security Center 07 6230-7 ext. 1191; First aid 07 632 7230-7, ext. 1133; Airlines 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1206; Immigration 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1109; Customs 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1161
Parking options at Phuket International Airport: Presently there is only parking space for 443 vehicles available close to the terminal. A new carpark is in the planning stages.
Rental car counters are located in the Arrivals hall: one is at the north end & another at the south end of the Arrivals hall.
To get from Phuket Interantional Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a limo or taxi. The Transportation Service Counter, located in the Arrivals hall, issues bus timetables, & advises on minibus or microbus hires. Limousine tickets are sold at the Limousine counter in the Arrivals Hall. Trustworthy chauffeured services can be reserved by visiting avis.com, hertz.com or hellophuket.net.
Public transportation is available on level 1 outside Arrivals hall (turn left), and on level 2 next to Burgher King - outside Departure Hall (tu left). In Phuket city you can catch the busses at the Bus Terminal (tel. 087-232371).
The public Airport Bus can be picket up at the Departure Terminal - it is economical, safe & air-conditioned. It makes three stops at the first level outside the Arrivals Hall (turn left after exiting), on level 2 next to Burger King restaurant (outside Departures Hall turn left) and ends the route at Phuket Bus Terminal. If you are heading to Patong, Kata or Karon Beach, use this bus and get off at Surakul Stadium - cross street to opposite side and catch local bus, which costs you about 25-30 Baht. Or use a local favored private transport by visiting hellophuket.net.
Present and future Airport developments: As passenger count is growing at a rapid pace, a new international terminal is now under construction. Furthermore the existing terminal is being refurbished; all expansion and renovation projects are to last until 2015/16.
Phuket HKT Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Phuket HKT Airport Update History
- Updated HKT Airport Intro page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated HKT Airports page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated HKT Direct Flights page - Mar 21, 2013