Phuket (HKT) Airport
Phuket HKT Airport Overview
The average temperatures at Phuket Island are between 31-33 high and 23-25 low (degrees Celsius). The main rainy season in general lasts from May through October.
HKT Airport is located on the west coast of Phuket island, 32.8 km northeast from downtown Phuket City, accessible via Thep Kasatri Road. It is open 24/7.
Distances to other areas (longest to shortest): Patong: 37.7 km; Kata : 47.4 km; Karon : 43.4 km; Panwa : 43.9 km; Bangtao: 21 km; Rawai: 48 km; Chalong: 40 km; Kamala : 27.6 km; Surin: 23.3 km; and Mai Khao: 8 km.
With a long runway and over 20 million passengers annually, Phuket International Airport is hub to Thai AirAsia and is served by domestic and international airlines, as well as by international charters.
- Travelers who transferred in Bangkok and completed the immigration process there, will arrive at Phuket at domestic terminal - yet your bags will arrive at International Terminal. A sign will guide you to it. Thereafter it's 10 more meters to the exit. Note that even after claiming your bags, you still have the option to pick up a duty-free item.
- It is advisable to book your hotel and your transfer in advance, as you won't be able to get any special deals on arrival. If you have booked a hotel - step outside the terminal where a hotel rep will hold up your name. Major hotels are 30-40 km from the Airport!
- SIM cards are availale at minimarts. You can go to the International Service Center on the ground level where your mobile device can be set up for free. (Mobil phones can be rented on the first level. For quick internet use go to level 1 (15 mins cost $3).
- A new temporary relief Terminal X* will be in operation until the end of May 2016, while the new International Terminal will open June 1, and the current terminal will function as Domestic Terminal.
As of September 16, 2016 Phuket International Airport has two passenger terminals - a new International Terminal (IT) opening in September 2016, and the current 'old' Terminal, which became the Domestic Terminal . [Terminal X is a temporary building to relieve overcrowding - it may be used for other purposes after completon of the Domestic Terminals rehabilitation.]
The new International Terminal started operations in September 16, 2016 - . With four levels and recognized by its blue roof, it covers an area of 72,338 sq.meters - featuring 96 check-in counters, 11 X-ray v-baggage screening equipment, 38 sets of baggage conveyor systems, 5 baggage carousels, 72 airline gates, 10 aircraft parking bays, 4 passenger gangways, and a new shopping area with duty-free shops & restaurants. The International terminal accommodate up to 5M passengers annually.
NOTE: Passenger complaints have been addressed and a new baggage screening system should be in place as early as March 2017. Also a computerized check-in process will aid immigration staff and speed up the check-in process. The new system will require passengers to queue up at the Airport prior to checking in (after check-in their bags will pass through the in-line screening system). Immigration counters were increased to 34 for departing passengers, and to 38 for arrivals.
- Priority Pass passengers :
The Luxury Lounge is on level 2, next to gate 4
The Coral Executive Lounges are
- on level 4 (international departures, post security;
- on level 1 (international arrivals - after customs & baggage claim;
- on level 2, next to gate 7.
For private intercity transfer use the SamuiBus (open: https://samuibus.com/route/phuket/airport-phuket/)
The Domestic Terminal with two levels will be undergoing a one-year overhaul during 2017/18.
The ground level - arrivals / baggage claim - is divided into a domestic and an international Arrivals Lounge with baggage carousels, duty-free shops, customs & immigration, and shared passenger hall with rental car counters, currency exchange, Information counter, left baggage, lost & found, food & drink, and tour service.
The upper level - departure level / gate areas - houses the passenger hall with check-in counters, some food & drink & retail concessions, with access to separate Domestic and International Departure Lounges - leading to the departure gates. (Off-center is a currency exchange booth, a service center, a tour operator booth, tourist counter, internet service, AOT counters, and 2 VIP rooms.) Bank ATMs from major banks are located at post-security areas and offer decent exchange rates.
The single-level Temporary Terminal X with 1,320 sq.meters - opened February 2014 - able to handle 1,000 passengers an hour - is to relieve overcrowding at the old terminal. It houses 10 check-in counters, baggage storage space, passenger waiting area, outdoor resting area, a commercial zone & airline offices. It is believed that Terminal X it will continue on until the Domestic Terminal's renovation completion.
Important telephone numbers:
Central information 07 632 7230-7; Fax: 07 632 7230; Information counters 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1100, 1111, 1122;
Security center 07 632 7230-7, ext. 1191; Immigration 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1109; Customs 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1161
Thailand tourist counter 07 623 7110;
First Aid 07 632 7230-7, ext. 1133;
Airlines 07 632 7230-7 ext. 1206.
Present and future Airport developments: While the new International Terminal addresses additional needs (see NOTE above), - the 'old' Domestic Terminal is now under renovation (done in stages), but will be operational during this time.
Other projects, including a multi-level garage, road work, airport parking stands, and more, are part of the Airport Renovation/ Extension project (some may already have been completed).