South Bend Regional SBN Airport Overview
South Bend Regional Airport SBN serves Indiana's city of South Bend and its sourrounding areas. Due to a multi-modal transportation complex in the Michiana Region, South Bend Regional Airport is the only small airport in the United States featuring air, interstate rail, and interstate bus services at one multi-modal terminal location. South Bend is home to famed Notre Dame University and four other universities & colleges.
The Airport is located a few miles south of South Bend, in the very northern part of the State of Indiana, close to the state border of Michigan, and within a 35-mile drive west to the shores of Lake Michigan. It has easy access to Interstate Hwys 80/90 and to State Hwy 20/31. With its own South Shore Train Platform station (outside of door H - with an inside train waiting area and adjacent train ticket office), it can also be reached directly via the South Shore railroad/ NICTD.
With 589,030 passengers in 2012, South Bend Regional Airport is served by a number of major airlines offering direct flights to major U.S. hubs, with connections to all points of the globe.
NOTE: 1. The Airport operates year-round on Eastern Time and is open 4am.-11:30pm or last flight. The bus station is open 24/7, accessible through doors A & B.
2. It is recommended that you arrive at the Airport no later than 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.
3. For inquiries go to the Airport Authority window next to the South Shore waiting area & Allegiant Air ticket counter - open 6am-10pm.
The passenger terminal at South Bend Regional Airport has received extensive renovation and expansion work, adding 45,000 square feet to the Concourse with five new gates and loading bridges, and a consolidated security checkpoint. An arching translucent panel roof now provides bright daylight and large windows.
Services and amenities inside the terminal (from left end to right end):
Doors A & B lead to Custodial Office, (Freight Agent & Bus Ticket office have separate entry next to Door A with adjacent bus terminal).
Between doors B & C is the first-aid station, Police, Coach USA counter, Snack shop, lounge and Bendix room.
Between doors D & E are rental car counters, Visitor's Center & ATM machine, as well as the baggage claim, a gift shop, leading to the Concouse with security check and gates.
Between doors E & F are meditation room, business center, ticket counters for United Express, Frontier and Delta, & Aviation museum.
Between doors F & G is Valet parking (outside), the Studebaker Room, Train Ticket Office, train waiting area, Allegiant ticket counter and Airport office.
Door H exits to the South Shore Train platform.
Near the United Express counter is a corridor to the security checkpoint and to Concourse A with gates 1 to 9. This area has an ATM machine, a playport for kids, & Flight Deck Deli
If you want to pick up a passenger at the Airport, you can use the short-term lot or the Cell Phone Parking Lot located inside the 18-hr lot - a 3-4 inute walk to the terminal. Stay with your car until your party calls you to be picked up at the terminal's curb.
Other parking options at South Bend Regional: Note that all but the 18-hour lot are available for overnight parking, while the 18-hour lot opens at 5am for limited-time parking. You have the option to go ticketless paying by AMEX, VISA or MasterCard, pay-on-foot at the parking pay station by cash or credit card, or drive to the booth and pay the cashier with cash or credit card.
1. The short-term lot offers the first 30 mins. free - ideal for passenger pickup.
2. The long-term lot is only 2 mins from the terminal.
3. The Economy and 18-Hour lots are only 3-4 mins from the terminal.
Valet service (574-288-4912 or 800-681-8885) is available. For more parking options call Republic at 574-234-1924.
Rental car counters for major agencies are located in the Arrivals /baggage claim area and pickup/& return lot is within walking distance thereof.
To get from South Bend Regional Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, use taxi (Yellow Cab 574-233-9333), a door-to-door or hotel shuttle, a bus or a train: The bus station is open 24/7 and can be accessed through Doors A & B. Also, the Airport Authority window next to the Allegiant ticket counter is daily staffed 6am-10pm.
1. To Midway & O'Hare Airports: Coach USA (at Gary 800-248-8747; at Mishawaka 800-833-555; or visit busville.com) offers transfers eight times a day.
2. To South Bend: Transpo (574-232-9901 or visit sbtranspo.com) - buses leave terminal every 30 mins.
3. To South Bend area: Hoosier Ride (502-368-5644 or 800-544-2383 or visit hoosierride.com) with ticket sales at Airport; serves South Bend stopping in Elkhart, LaPaz, Rochester, Peru & Kokomo. with Greyhound terminal connection.
4. To Goshen & Elkhart: Troley bus connects Airport with Goshen & Elkhart: Contact Interurban Trolley (574-674-4094 or visit interurbantrolley.com).
5. To Chicago The South Shore railroad station is located right in the Airport (1-800-356-2079 or 574-233-3111) and serves cities throughout northwest Indiana, with a final stop in downtown Chicago (the trip takes 2hrs 20mins). Note that South Bend is on Eastern Time, all other stations observe Central Time.
South Bend Regional SBN Services
Terminal Maps and Services
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
South Bend Regional SBN Airport Update History
- Updated SBN Airport Intro page - May 17, 2013
- Updated SBN Airports page - May 17, 2013
- Updated SBN Food & Stores page - Mar 20, 2013
- Updated SBN Direct Flights page - Mar 5, 2013