Victoria (YYJ) Airport
Victoria YYJ Airport Overview
Victoria International Airport YYJ serves Victoria, the capital city of British Coumbia, Canada, and its surrounding areas on Vancouver Island. One of the most popular tourist attractions, Victoria is referred to as the "City of Gardens". Recently it was awarded 'Best Airport in North America among Airports under 2M passengers'; it also received the prestigious Customer Service Award.
The Airport is located on the Saanich Peninsula, off Hwy 17 and 25 km north of Victoria, on the most southern tip of beautiful Vancouver Island, and bordering to its south and east on Washington State, USA. The drive to/from the airport takes you past the resort town of Sidney-by-the-Sea, the countryside of North Saanich, and Districts of Central Saanich and Saanich. A new bike & walking rail surrounds Airport premises.
With 3 runways and 1.5 million passengers in 2012, Victoria International is served by a number of national, U.S. airlines, and seasonal charters, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. A nonstop flight to Phoenix a just added by WestJet.
WestJet will start service to Vancouver as of June 24, 2013.
NOTE: Passengers heading to the U.S. should be aware that currently, the Airport has no pre-clearance facility; therefore, passengers will clear both US Customs & Immigration on arrival at their U.S. destination.
The three-level passenger terminal at Victoria International, recognized by its glass-enclosed round center, with Arrivals to the left and Departures to the right, was extensively renovated and is open 3:30am to 1:30am. Further renovations have started in late 2012 (see below) and will enhance the passenger experience at the Airport.
The Lower Passenger Departure Lounge on the first level leads to the second level's Upper Passenger Departure Lounge and airline gates. The third level houses the Observation Lounge & a historic exhibit.
Passenger amenities and services include: Free wireless internet access throughout'. Common-use check-in kiosks for self-service; The 'Red Coat Information Desk', staffed by volunteer Airport Ambasadors; food & drink and retail concessions, duty-free shop, ATM machines, a parent's room, ICE currency exchange (250-656-1266), Lost & Found (250-953-7511), a bicycle assembly station, complete with tools and boxes and 4 storage lockers; and free luggage carts. A children's play area is in the upper departure lounge, where you also find business workstations and vending machines. There is even a bike & walking trail.
Parking options at Victoria International Airport:
1. Across from the passenger terminal is the short-term carpark (max. 2 hrs) - pay on entry;
2. Behind the short-term carpark is the daily/ long-term carpark - pay on exit at cash or credit card lanes.
3. An overflow carpark is situated east of the terminal.
4. The rental car return carpark is west of the terminal.
For more parking information call the airport parking booth at 250-656-9666.
Rental car counters are in the Arrivals level (Avis, Budge, Hertz & National) and off-airport Enterprise (250-655-7368) willl provide pickup shuttle.
To get from Victoria International Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi (yellow cab 1-800-808-6881), take a shuttle bus (AKAL 1-877-386-2525), or take a bus:
BC Transit (250-382-6161) offers now on its new 88 Sidney/Airport Bus frequent daily services between Sidney and West Sidney to the McTavish Transit Exchange and the Airport.
Greyhound serves Vancouver Island (tel. 250-388-5248).
Current and future Airport developments: Late 2012 constructon started on renovation of the passenger terminal - to be completed by 2014: Once all upgrades are made the terminal will have an expansion of the pre-board security screening area into the present retail space, a new food area to the west of the lower passenger departure lounge, a new retail store on the east side, centrally located elevator /stair /escalator at terminal's southeast corner, and new furniture in the upper passenger departure lounge.
Victoria YYJ Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- YYJ Baggage Carts / Skycap
- YYJ Banking / ATM Services
- YYJ Business Services
- YYJ Currency Exchange
- YYJ Guest Services
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Victoria YYJ Airport Update History
- Updated YYJ Airports page - May 16, 2013
- Updated YYJ Food & Stores page - May 16, 2013
- Updated YYJ Airport Intro page - Mar 18, 2013
- Updated YYJ Direct Flights page - Jan 18, 2013
- Updated YYJ Airlines Served page - Dec 2, 2012
- Updated YYJ Official Website Links page - Dec 2, 2012