Birmingham-UK (BHX) Airport
Birmingham-UK BHX Airport Overview
Birmingham Airport BHX - an international airport - now calls itself 'Midlands' Gateway to the World', as part of a new branding image. It serves England's Midlands. In June 2012 it also opened the new EuroJet Business Aviation Center.
The Airport is located at Bickenhill, Borough of Solihull, West Midlands, and is only 10.2 km southeast of Birmingham's city center. The national motorway network is within easy reach, as the Airport is just one mile from Junction 6 of the M42, with direct links to the M6, M5, M40, M1and the M6 Toll Road. It is also adjacent to the Birmingham International Railway Station, served by a 90-second connection via the Air-Rail Link leading into the heart of each transport hub. In turn, Birmingham International Station links directly to the national rail network with hourly services to Central London, a trip of 76 minutes.
With one runway and an estimated 8.9 million passengers in 2012, Birmingham Airport is served by national, international, regular and low-cost airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe, as well as by seasonal scheduled and chartered flights.
If you are heading to the NEC Exhibit, which is adjacent to the Airport, take the Air-Rail Link from the first floor of Terminal 1 to 'Birmingham International' rail station; follow signs (a 5-minute walk to the main hall via covered walkway).
Birmingham Airport opened its integrated terminal in May 2011 ( merging former terminals 1 & 2 with the connected Millenium Building).
Parking options at Birmingham Airport: (Details are in the parking section.)
To get from Birmingham Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, a bus or a train:
1. Taxis (0121 783 3744): the taxi stand is outside the passenger terminal; these black cabs can seat 5 -6 people, luggage & wheelchair, and display their metered zone fares into Birmingham & Solihull.
2. Buses: The red, white & blue 'Birmingham 900 or 966' run between the Airport from the following stops to the following destinations:
900 Bus departs every half hour to Birmingham City Center - Stop J, and to Coventry - Stop K.
966 & 966A Buses depart every half hour to Solihull Rail Station - Stop K, and Erdington - Stop L.
3. Trains: (a) The Airport rail station 'Birmingham International' is only 500 meters from the passenger terminals and linked to them via Air-Rail Link, which runs every two minutes and takes less than two minutes.
(b) Nine trains per hour make the trip to Birmingham New Street, which takes 10 to 20 minutes. From there you can connect to most of the Midlands & other parts of the UK.
(c) Bus-Train link to the East Midlands: Buses 717, 757, 767 & 777, at bus stop L in front of T1, take you to Coleshill Parkway rail station and one of them will come around every 15 minues. From the Coleshill station you can connect to Leiceter, Nuneaton, Peerborouth, etc. For more train information contact the National Rail website.
Present and future Airport developments: 1. Work on the A45 Transport Corridor Improvement Scheme is to become operational by early 2014.
2. The runway extension is to start in June 2013, and should be operational by Spring 2014.
Solihull Borough, West Midlands, B26 3QJ
- Website for Birmingham-UK: http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/
- Contact: http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta/contact-us.aspx
- Phone: +44 844 576 6000
- View Terminal Map
Birmingham-UK BHX Airport Update History
- BHX Airports - Oct 28, 2013
- BHX Food & Stores - Oct 23, 2013
- BHX Airlines Served - Oct 3, 2013