Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport Overview
CLT Airport is a few miles from the financial district of the city of Charlotte, situated near the border of the North & South Carolinas, accessible from Interstate Hwy. 485, connecting to I-85 and I-77. NOTE: After completion of the Josh Birmingham Pkwy realignment project, the new roadway now connects Little Rock Rd. exit off I-85 to North Josh Birmingham Pkwy, with direct access to terminal, parking lots & decks from I-85 & Wilkinson Blvd.
From Josh Birmingham Pkwy you are now directed onto the new Airport entrance road's inbound lanes, which merge onto Little Rock Road & directly to the terminal.
With four long runways and some 43 million passengers annually, Charlotte Douglas International Airport is currently US Airways' largest hub (operating out of Concourses C, D & E), and is served by a host of major airlines offering direct and connecting flights througout North America, the Caribbean islands, Europe & South America.
1. For passenger pickup /dropoff, use curbside, including all lanes on ticketing & baggage claim levels & curbside check-in - your car must be attended to.
2. Priority lanes for preferred or elite status airline passengers are available at Checkpoints B & D.
3. The toll-free Airport number is 1-800-FLY-CDA
4. The new Consolidated Rental Car Facility occupies levels 1 - 3 of the new 7-level Hourly Parking Deck across from the terminal.
5. The terminal now has a new inline baggage system and its considerable East- and West-side expansion projects have been completed.
Charlotte Douglas Airport has a large main passenger terminal, with Concourses A through E.
Present & Future Airport Developments: A new round for a $2.5B 10-year project 'Destination CLT' is to address roadway changes, terminal improvements and airfield work:
1. Its First Phase project will start with the new 2-level, 8-lane road, in front of the terminal (replacing the current 3-lane roads). 5 lanes are designated to be for passenger cars and 3 for commercial vehicles. New bridges & tunnels will connect the terminal to the hourly parking decks. Passenger traffic is to shift from current to new lanes in one single move. Completion is to be around May 2017 for commercial lanes, and around late Summer 2017 for passenger car lanes.
2. Phase 1 of a two-phase expansion project for a new Satellite Terminal with 25 gates north of Concourse A, will start Jan. 2016, including 9 gates - while Phase 2 will add another 16 gates. Completion is scheduled for mid-year 2019.
3. Starting 2019, construction begins on the Terminal lobby expansion towards the hourly parking deck with added space for security, ticketing & baggage claim. The enlarged lobby will have windows & a mezzanine level. Completion is scheduled for 2022.