Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport Overview
Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport DFW is only one of 14 worldwide airports to receive ACI's Global Honor for Long-Term Excellence in Customer Service". It covers an area of nearly 30 square miles and has just recently received its highest passenger satisfaction scores, finishing as number 3 in the world among the large airports, and number 1 among 13 large US airport hubs.
The Airport is located 18 miles from downtown Dallas, and 24 miles from downtown Fort Worth, in the State of Texas. It is accessible from Hwys 183 & 360 and Hwys 114, 121 & 635.
With 7 runways and an estimated 58.2 million passengers in 2012, Dallas-Fort Worth International is hub to American Airlines and is served by a hosts of major domestic and foreign airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
American Airlines will started services to Lima (Peru), and to Seoul (S.Korea). Aeromexico has started services to Mexico City. Spirit Airlines offers 26 destinations in 2013.
TRAFFIC CHANGES :
1. Starting in Fall of 2013, all of the lanes in the new plazas being currently built will be TollTag friendly, saving time & money. The plazas will take ticketless credit card payments (sliding your card at entry & exit).
2. Until completion by 2014, State Hwys 114 & 121 north of DFW Airport will have construction activities on the eight-mile DFW Connector; traffic pattern changes will also involve SH 114 and SH 26. For up-to-date traffic changes, open the DFW Connector Lane Closures page with detailed map at: dfwconnector.com/laneclosures.php.
On-Airport hotels are (a) the Grand Hyatt DFW located inside the International Terminal D (972-973-1234) and (b) the Hyatt Regency DFT adjacent to Terminal C (972-453-1234).
The passenger terminal complex at Dallas-Fort Worth International consists of five terminals - International Terminal D and Domestic Terminals A, B, C and E (or TD, TA, TB, TC & TE). The Terminal layout is such that the north & south lanes of the International Parkway are in the center, Terminals A, C & E are to the right of the north lane, and Terminals B & D to the right of the south lane; each terminal surrounds the parking area and offers a short distance from curb to plane. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at DFW International Airport: include garage parking adjacent to all five passenger terminals, as well as valet parking, express parking and remote economy parking. (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page).
The Rental Car Center at DFW International is located inside Airport premises at 2424 E. 38th St, near the south entrance of the Airport, and is served by ten rental car agencies. (a) Arriving passengers should first collect their baggage and then follow the Rental Car signs to the shuttle pickup area on the lower terminal level. Shuttles come around every five minutes and the trip takes about 10 minues.
To get from Dallas-Fort Worth Airport to Dallas or Fort Worth, you can rent a car, take a taxi or limo, or take one of these shared rides--City Shuttle (214-760-1998); Go Yellow Checker Shuttle (214-841-1900) or SuperShuttle DFW (972-456-3128);
The DART Light Rail completed its extension to the Belt Line Station, located on-Airport property. A DART bus will take you from Terminal A to the Belt Line Station - a 4-mile ride - running every 15 mins at rush hours, 20 mins mid-day, and 30 mins late evening. (By 2014, the DART Rail service will have its station directly at TA.)
DART (214-979-1111) provides bus service to downtown Dallas, while the Airporter offers scheduled van shuttles to downtown Fort Worth.
DART also serves Addison, Carrollton, Cockrell Hill, Dallas, Farmers Branch, Garland, Glenn Heights, Highland Park, Irving, Richardson, Rowlett, Plano & University Park.
The general Ground Transportation telephone number is 972-574-5878.
Future Airport Developments: The $1.9B Terminal Renewal Project involves restoration work to be done in phases over a 7-year period of Terminals A, B, C & E.
1. Terminal A: Work has recently started with Terminal A and a renovated portion of it has already opened. (Gates A8-A16) as well as a portion of the new garage. Completion is scheduled for 2014 .
2. The Terminal E satellite project will reactivate 7 gates, and add new concessions. During TE's phase 1 work, certain curbside transport means will be moved to other areas of the roadway - signs will indicate changes. Phases 2-4 of TE will include renewal of main areas and are scheduled between 2013-2016.
All remaining projects should be completed late 2017, when DFW Airport is to have new rail & highway access, modern terminals & passenger-requested amenities & services.
Dallas Fort Worth DFW Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- DFW Baggage Carts / Skycap
- DFW Baggage Claim
- DFW Banking / ATM Services
- DFW Business Services
- DFW Currency Exchange
- DFW Emergency / Medical Services
- DFW Guest Services
- DFW Internet Access
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport Update History
- Updated DFW Airports page - May 15, 2013
- Updated DFW Food & Stores page - May 15, 2013
- Updated DFW Airlines Served page - May 2, 2013
- Updated DFW Official Website Links page - May 2, 2013
- Updated DFW Airport Intro page - Apr 10, 2013
- Updated DFW Main Terminals page - Apr 10, 2013
- Updated DFW Parking On site page - Apr 10, 2013
- Updated DFW Direct Flights page - Jan 25, 2013