Glasgow (GLA) Airport
Glasgow GLA Airport Overview
Glasgow International Airport GLA is Scotland's leading long-haul airport, and is one of two airports serving the greater Glasgow area. (A secondary Airport, the Glasgow Prestwick Airport, is a low-cost hub for budget airlines with direct rail link to Central Glasgow.)
The Airport is located near the towns of Paisley and Renfrew in Renfrewshire, and 13 km west of the Glasgow's city center, in Scotland, U.K. The Airport, owned and operated by BAA, can be reached from the adjoining M8 mortorway at Junction 28 within about 20 minute (Postcode PA3 2SW). The Airport is Scotland's long-haul, and second-busiest, airport after Edinburgh.
With one runway and an estimated 7.2 million passengers in 2012, Glasgow International Airport is hub for Loganair, and is served by many domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
For 2014, Virgin Atlantic is adding 14,000 seats on its Florida destination; while Jet2.com is adding two more Greek destinatio.
The on-Airport Holiday Inn Hotel is on Caledonie Way, within easy walking distance from the terminal.
The passenger terminal complex at Glasgow Airport consists of two terminals - T1 & T2.
Other parking options at Glasgow Airport: (Details are in the parking section.)
Rental car desks for seven major rental car agencies are in the Arrivals area of Glasgow Airport's main terminal.
To get from Glasgow Airport to your destination, you can rent a car (ground floor, passenger terminal), take a taxi, a bus or a train:
1. Bus 500 at stop 1, the official & accessible Glasgow Shuttle sves Glasgow's city center and has likns to Glasgow's two main rail stations (Central & Queen Street, as well ato the Buchanan Bus station; it runs every 10 mins (taking 25 mins) , and at its Buchanan bus station link, you can connect via Scottish Citylink bus 900 to Edinburgh.
2. Bus 747 at stop 8, the AirLink cityService bus, stops at Stop 8 and runs every 20 mins between Glagow Airport and City Center via a number of stops - ideal for those needing to get to the west end of the city. The trip takes about 48 mins.
3. Bus 66, stops at Stop 2 and is the local & Paisley Gilmour Street bus and runs frequently to Love Street area. The bus is accessible.
4. Bus 800 to Largs / Ayrshire coast departs 5 mins past the hour, Mon-Sat.
4. Other buses stop at: Stop 6 for Bus 300 to Clydebank & Paisley Gilmour St. rail station; Stop 9 for Bus 915 to Skye.
5. The nearest train station is Paisley Gilmour Street, one mile from the passenger terminal, reachable by taxi or buses 66 (stop 7) or 300 (stop 6). Eight trains an hour run from Paisley Giolmour station, and tickets can be purchased from SPT Travel Center on the ground floor of the terminal, next to domestic arrivals.
Current and future Airport developments: In February 2013 the Airport announced its intention to make a considerable investment towards upgrading key parts of the Main Terminal (including international arrivals) for the upcoming Commonwealth Games in 2014, which will include maing the airfield energy efficient with LED lighting. Planning is going on until May and the actual work will start in October 2013.
Glasgow GLA Airport Update History
- GLA Airports - Oct 28, 2013
- GLA Airlines Served - Jul 14, 2013
- GLA Airport Intro - Jun 14, 2013
- GLA Main Terminals - Jun 14, 2013
- GLA Official Website Links - Jun 14, 2013