Helsinki-Vantaa (HEL) Airport
Helsinki-Vantaa HEL Airport Overview
Helsinki Vantaa Airport HEL is Finland's most important airport and is a leading transfer point for air traffic between Europe, Asia & North America. Vantaa Airport is managed by Finavia, which continuously upgrades its airport facilities throughout Finland.
The Airport is located three miles from Vantaa, Tikkurila, and 19 km, or half an hour drive, from the city center of Helsinki and is accessible from Helsinki's Keha III circle motorway 50, and a number of motorways merging into it (motorways 51, 1, 120, 3, 45, 4 & 7).
With 3 long runways and an estimated 14.9 million passengers in 2011, Helsinki Vantaa Airport can accommodate Airbuses 340/350, is hub for its flag-carrier Finnair & to Blue1, and is served by many national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE: 15 Automated Boarder Control Gates, each for departing & for Arriving passengers, are used by 'citizens holding a biometric passport issued by EU/EEA countries' (no pre-registration required.
On-Airport hotels include the Hilton Helsinki-Vantaa Airport and the Hotel GLO Helsinki Airport.
Layout of Helsinki Vantaa Airport's terminals and how to connect to other flights:
Helsinki Vantaa Airport' passenger terminal is partially divided into T1 Domestic and T2 International terminals, both joined by a 250-meter internal pedestrian walkway, and surrounding parking facilities & hotels. The airside is not divided by international/domestic traffic, but by Schengen & non-Schengen traffic.
The Arrivals level is divided bewen Terminal 1 'Arrivals 1) and Trminal 2 Arrivals 2A & 2B - each one haing their own baggage claim.
The small T1 Domestic Terminal area, located at the south-eastern tip of the terminal complex, with check-in desks 101-114, is home to members of the Star Alliance.
Terminal 2, the International Terminal area, houses all other airlines, with check-in desks numbered 201-232, 240-271 & 400-423. T2 has recently undergone renovation work giving it a fresh look.
The combined Departure level of T2 houses gates 23-11(at right), gates 24-34 (at center), and gates 35-38 at left).
Amenities & services inside the passenger terminals include food & drink, retail and tax-free concessions, Sampo bank branch, ATM cash machines, currency exchange, Finnair Spa & Saunas, Finnair service desk, maill box, rental car counters, free internet kiosks, travel bureaus, pharmacy, playroom, parking payment machine, hair salon, as well as the SAS business Lounge & the Finnair Lounge.
Recent improvements include a new shopping area, more border control kiosks with biometric ID technology, renovation of waiting & baggage areas between European & long-haul flgihts, enhanced border control capacity, a large duty-free shop at T2, and more imporvements are to follow.
A book swap is the latest addition to the terminals.
Passengers transferring to another flight:
If you have a boarding pass for your connecting flight, proceed to your departure gate. If you do not have a boarding pass yet, go to the Transfer Desk located near gates 24 or 30.
All passengers who transfer from a non-EU country to an EU country must go through the security checkpoint.
If your luggage has not been checked through to your destination, you have to collect it first at the baggage claim hall, then go through check-in and through security control - make sure you check your connting departure flight time again.
NOTE: 1. Citizens of the European Union can pass through border control, using one of the 30 automatic border control checkpoints serving both arriving & departing passengers.
2. A new lounge properly named 'Almost@home' has a small kitchen, dining area & living room and is accessible to to all passengers.
3. An art gallery and an eco-friendly book swap have recently been added.
4. Priority Pass members have rated the Finnair Lounge 'Best Lounge in the World 2011'.
Parking options at Helsinki-Vantaa: 1. Short-term or 'Fast' parking across from the terminal center;
2. 'Pika' parking lots are on either side of the P1/P2 Garage, and
3. 'Loma' economy parking P3, P4 & P5 are inside the terminal complex, with Loma P4A & P4B near the Ilmakeha Highway airport entrance.
Free shuttle buses run every 15 minutes (at platform 9 of T1, platform 11 of T2, and in front of parking areas.
Longitude / Latitude - 220.127.116.11 N; 18.104.22.168 E. gets to you the point on the Airport access road leading to terminals and parking.
To get from Helsinki Vantaa Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi or a bus:
Buses to Helsinki or the Tikkurila railway station are not only comfortable, but also fast (about 35 minutes); you can take either the City bus 615, or the Finnair City Bus. Both Bus 615 & 61 get you to the Tikkurila station, with offers connections to commuter & long-distance trains (incl. St.Peterburg & Moscow). Daytime & overnight buses by Matkahuolto & ExpressBus depart from the Airport Coach Terminal.
Bus stops at T1 are at numbers 1-9, and at T2 at 10-24 & 35-36.
Present and future Airport developments: Construction of train link 'Keharata', to city center, started in 2009, is planned to be operational by 2014.
Helsinki-Vantaa HEL Services
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Helsinki-Vantaa HEL Airport Update History
- Updated HEL Airports page - May 16, 2013
- Updated HEL Food & Stores page - May 16, 2013
- Updated HEL Airport Intro page - Apr 30, 2013
- Updated HEL Parking On site page - Mar 4, 2013
- Updated HEL Direct Flights page - Feb 17, 2013
- Updated HEL Lost Found page - Jan 4, 2013
- Updated HEL Main Terminals page - Jan 4, 2013