Kona's Onizuka Airport is located in the town of Keahole, on the Big Island's west side, about seven miles northwest of Kailua-Kona, and is accessible via the access roadway extending from Queen Kaahumanu Highway.
With a very long runway, and over 3 million passengers annually, Kona International Airport is served by a number of domestic and foreign airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
The passenger terminal complex at Onizuka International is currently divided into North & South Terminals - accessible via the Kupipi Street, a one-way loop enclosing public parking and rental car check-in facilities. In the center of the terminal complex is the Onizuka Memorial.
Present and future Airport developments:
- The permanent Federal Inspection Service facility was completed, and international flights started late Dec. 2016.
- In March 2017 groundbreaking took place on a $75 million modernization project, with the intent to reorganize current terminal layout to streamline operations. Upgrades are to be made on security sceening area*, holding rooms, concession area & restrooms. While presently North & South terminals operate independently and their transfer passengers will go through two security checks - after renovation passengers are able to move freely between terminals. Also new shops and restaurants will be added.
* A 6-lane security screening checkpoint building is to expedite outbound passenger processing, reducing time spent in line.
HAWAIIAN AIRORTS: (Note that the largest island in the Hawaiian Chain is the 'Hawaii Island' - better known as 'The Big Island'.)
- listed by major islands, Airport Code, Airport (AP) name :
Big /Hawaii: KOA = Kona AP on west side of 'Big' Hawaii Island, at Keahole - is the Big Island's major AP (the other is Hilo ITO.
Big /Hawaii: ITO - Hilo Int'l AP on eastern side of Big Island; near Hilo city (Main AP is Kona)
Oahu Island: HNL Honolulu In'tl AP near the Honolulu city, - with small Kalaeloa AP (east of HNL AP),
Oahu Island east of HNL is the small Kalealoa AP.
Maui Island: OGG Kahului AP near Haleakala - 1 Keolani Pl. Kahului, HI 96732
Maui Island: LNY Lanai AP (3 miles from Lanai city ) and
Maui Island JHM Kapalua (5 miles from Lahaina.)
Kauai Island: LIH = Lihue AP near the town of Lihue
Molokai Island: Molokai AP
- listed by Airport name, code & Island:
Kona AP KOA on west side of 'Big' Hawaii Island, at Keahole - is the Big Island's major AP
Hilo Int'l AP ITO on the Big Island is the secondary AP in, on eastern side of Big Island; (Main AP is Kona)
Honolulu In'tl AP HNL on Oahu Island is near the Honolulu city
Kalaeloa AP on Oahu Island (is a small AP east of HNL AP),
Lanai AP LNY - 3 miles from Lanai city, on Maui Island
Kapalua AP JHM - 5 miles from Lahaina, on Maui Island
Lihue AP LIH - near the town of Lihue on Kauai Island: