Krakow (KRK) Airport
Krakow KRK Airport Overview
Krakow Airport KRK (formally called 'Krakow Airport im. Jana Pawla II' - named after the late Pope John Paul II) is an international airport serving the southern part of Poland.
The Airport is located in the village of Balice, 11 km or 6.8 miles west of the city of Krakow, and is accessible via motorway A4, exit 77. You can catch th express train to city center, a 18-minute trip, at the train station 200 meters from Terminal 1.
With one runway and an estimated 3.4 million passengers in 2012, Krakow Airport is hub to LOT Polish Airlines, and is served by and domestic and international airlines offering direct flights to a host of European cities, with connections around the globe. Seasonal charters are available to popular vacation destinations. As of April 2013, Krakow Airport will be the 53rd base of Ryanair in Europe.
NOTICE: ALL passengers, inluding those who travel with carry-on bags only & hold valid boarding card printed in advance: If traveling on Saturdays, 9am - 12:30pm - to destinations in France, Spain, Germany, Norway, Sweden & Italy - you need to arrive at the Airport two hours prior to scheduled flight, due to enhanced secuirty procedures.
The passenger terminal complex at Krakow Airport presently consists of two passenger terminals - T1 & T2 situated at either of the of the Cargo Terminal: P1 has a parking garage across the street, and a large lot behind it, while P2 has a parking lot nearby.
Free shuttle buses take passengers between T1, T2 and the Airport rail station, which is 250 meters from Terminal 1and is the train station for the Express train to Krakow's Main Train Station. Train tickets are available from automats in T1, near center exit), and from train attendant, or at Krakow Main Station's automat at Platform 1.
Terminal 1 of Krakow Airport, the international terminal, has three levels:
Level 0 is for Schengen & non-Schengen international arrivals, has duty-free shop, rental car & airline counters and an ATM machine.
Level 1 is for Schengen & non-Schengen international depatures, for charter flights, and hshops & services, including first aid & chapel.
Level 2 is the Observation Deck.
While passengers departing to a Schengen zone country pass through security control on the first level of T1 and proceed then to the Departure lounge at gates 6 to 8 - passengers departing to a non-Schengen zone country pass through security control on the first level of T1 and proceed to the Departure lounge at gates 1-4.
Terminal 2 of Krakow Airport, the domestic terminal, offers food & drink establishments, some shops, a first aid station, Information desk (Tel: 0 801 055 000 or +48 (0) 12 295 58 00) and money exchange.
Passenger pick-up /drop-off can be made at the "Kiss & Drive" parking area.
Parking options at Krakow Airport: The new six-level parking garage P1 is opposite Terminal 1, behind it is the open-air lot P1. Termmial 2 has parking lot P2 in front of the terminal. To book parking call +48 12 639 3456. NOTE: due to ongoing hotel construction, the long-term carpark has been moved to the side of ul. Kpt. M. Medweckiego.
Rental car counters for major rental agencies are located in the arrivals level of the terminals.
To get from Krakow Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi (the Airport now has its own taxi network with stands outside of the terminals), or a train: The new one-way ticket enables passengers to travel to any train station and change within the first Krakow Metropoitan Zone, meaning that you can travel from hotel or residence on a single ticket.
1. The Balice Ekspres train runs between Krakow-Glowny, the main railway station, and the Krakow-Balice Airport railway station. As the train station is 200 meters from T1, a free shuttle bus takes you from either T1 or T2 to the train station. The train takes only 16 minutes into the city center. NOTE: A final extension of the Balice Ekspres train directly to the Airport is planned.
2. Public buses 208 & 292, and night bus 902 stop at both terminals; tickets can be obtained from Relay at T1, mezzanine; also bus line 292 has a ticket vending machine. Note that Bus 292 changed its route & runs now to the Railway Station East (Dworzec Glowny Wschod).
Present & future Airport Developments:
1. Expansion of the passenger terminal, reconstruction of taxiways, extension of apron, and creation of an internal transport system are envisioned to be completed by 2015.
2. Construction of an on-Airport hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn, is to be completed by Summer 2014.
Krakow KRK Airport Update History
- KRK Airports - Oct 28, 2013
- KRK Airlines Served - Jun 11, 2013
- KRK Official Website Links - Jun 11, 2013