San Diego International Airport SAN - also known as 'Lindbergh Field' - serves the City of San Diego in southern California and surrounding areas. It is the Nation’s busiest single runway airport, however, its reduced runway capacity also limits the number of international flights the Airport can accommodate. Conde Nast Traveler magazine has ranked San Diego Airport as the fifth in the Nation's top airports, and number 1 in the State.
SAN Airport is only a few miles to the center of San Diego, California, and is only 20 miles from the Mexican border. It is conveniently situated on North Harbor Drive, off Interstate Hwy I-5, offering connections to S.R. 163, I-8 and I-15. The area is known for its mild climate, plentiful beaches and world-class attractions like the San Diego Zoo and Sea World.
With 20 million passengers in 2016, San Diego Airport is served by major airlines and regional jet services, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. Southwest is its dominant carrier.
Current Airlines, their telephone numbers, operating hours, and Terminal location:
Air Canada, tel. 888-247-2262, 3 hours prior to scheduled departure; at T2
Alaska, tel. 800-252-7522, 4-12am; at T1
Allegiant, tel. 702-505-8888, 2 hrs prior to scheduled departure; at T2
American, tel. 800-433-7300, 4am-12am; at T2
British Airways tel. 800-247-9297, Sun-Thu 2:30-6:15pm; Fri-Sat 3:15-6:45pm; at T2
Delta, tel. 800-247-9297, 4am-12am; at T2
Frontier, tel. 800-432-1349, 4:10-7:10am; 9:15am -12:15pm; 7:30pm-1:30am; at T1
Hawaiian, tel. 800-367-5320, 2 hrs prior to departure; at T2
JAL Japan, tel. 800-525-3663, 8:40am-11am; at T2
JetBlue, tel. 800-538-2583, Sun-Fri; 8:45am-2pm, Sat. 7:15pm-10:30pm; at T2
Southwest, tel. 800-435-9792, 4:15am-12am; at T1
Spirit, tel. 801-401-2222, 5:15am-1:5pm; 4:55-8:25pm; at T2
SunCountry, tel. 800-359-6786, 7:30-10:00am Sun & Thur; 3-5:40pm, Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri; at T2
United, tel. 800-864-8331, 4am-12am; at T2
Virgin America, tel. 877-359-8474, 4am-12am; at T2
WestJet, tel. 888-937-8538, 8:30am-12:30pm (closed Tues, Thur); at T2
- Arrive at the Airport prior to your scheduled flight two hours for domestic & three hours for international departures during busy morning and late afternoon hours - particularly during summer time! The TSA checkpoint has extra long lines due to lack of available staff.
- Global Entry technology and APC's (Automatic passport Control kiosks) are now available
- The Cross-Border Terminal will enable passengers to cross directly from Tijuana Airport in Mexico, via new U.S. Customs & Border Protection station in Otay Mesa (south of San Diego, on U.S. ground) - by taking the 160-foot pedestrian 'Tijuana Cross Border Bridge' - thereby allowing ticketed passengers to cross the bridge in either directions at a fee.
- The new Customs station at Otay Mesa lowers waiting times and boosts cross-border tourism.
- The new Rental Car Center (RCC) houses most of the rental car agencies serving the Airport. Shuttle service is available to /from the Terminals by new alternative-fuel shuttle buses. While RCC currently houses 14 rental agencies, ample space allows for up to 19, and for 5,000 cars.
- WiFi Service was upgraded in Jan. 2017, inceasing bandwidth speeds up to 30 times faster than before.
San Diego International Airport now has two passenger terminals – T1, T2 (T1 of which will eventually be replaced by a new T1.
- The Consolidated Rental Car facility received a LEED Gold certificatin.
Present & Future Airport Developments:
- Construction started Sept. 2016 on the new 3-level Parking Plaza with about 3,000 parking spaces and 7 elevators - located in front of T2. During this time, passengers may use the 1,300 spaces in T2 and 1,200 spaces in T1. The new Parking Plaza will include the latest technology (a cell phone application to reserve parking space, pay in advance and find car upon return).
- Terminal 2 West: Appoval was received in March 2017 by the Airport Authority Board for construction of Terminal 2 West's new Federal Inspection Services facility (housing Customs & Border Protection and other international passenger arrival services) - scheduled to open in June 2018.