The Sao Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport GRU - also referred to as 'Cumbica' Airport - is Brazil's primary airport - and the busiest in Latin America (now operated by a private consortium of Invepar/ACSA, which manages all of the three major airports serving the greater Sao Paulo metropolitan area, including Congonhas CGH, 8 km from city center, and the Viracopos Campinas VCP, 99 km from the city. In 2016 Guarulhos Airpiort was voted as being the 'World's Second Most Punctual Airport', and 'The Country's Best Airport'.
GRU Airport can be reached directly from Rod Helio Schmidt Highway and is located in the district of Cumbica, city of Guarulhos, in the greater metropolitan area of the City of Sao Paulo - 25 km northeast of of its city center. The Tropic of Capricorn passes directly through the southern tip of the Airport. Guarulhos Airport is accessible by both the Presidente Dutra and the Ayrton Senna motorways, which connect directly to the Rodovia Helio Smidt (SP-019) acccess road into the Airport.
With two long runways and an estimated yearly passenger count of 32 million, Sao Paul Guarulhos International is served by major domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
- GRU utilizes the 'Mobile Apps Scan and Go' - upload your your boarding pass onto your I-phone, then simply scan it there.
- International flights have their busiest departure hours in the evening (arrive three hours ahead of scheduled flight), while international arrivals have their busiest hours in the morning (making the immigration lines particularly slow-moving).
- 'Tryp by Wyndham Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport' is currently the first hotel in the Southern Hemisphere, whose location is in the post-security area of a passenger terminal. The 80-room hotel is in Terminal 3, level 1's transit area - tel. +55 (11) 2445-8100 or open: www.tryyphotels.com.
- 'Fast Sleep' (part of the Slaveiro Hotel chain) offers 40 rooms and 6 suites at Terminal 2's public area - domestic arrivals east. Tel. +55 (11) 2445-2356 or visit: www.fastsleep.com.br
Guarulhos International Airport now has three passengers terminals - T1 (former T4), new T2 (merged with old T1 & T2) and T3 - served by the following airlines:
Terminal 1 with gates 101-109 and check-in area A is offering domestic flights by Azul, LATAM, Passaredo, Tap Portugal.
Terminal 2 with three concourses is currently served by Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air Europa, Avianca, Austral, Boa, Copa, Cubana, Delta, Ethiopian, GOL, Iberia, Korean, LATAM (Brasil), Oceanair, Passaredo, Royal Air Maroc, Singapore, South African, Swiss, TAAG, TACA, TAP, & United.
- T2's Departure level has check-in areas B, C, D & E (B & C for east concourse, D & E for West Concourse. Near the entrance of the concourses are access to the VIP lounges. After check-in procedure passengers pass security check and proceed to their gates.
- T2's Mezzanine level can be reached from the east or west side of the check-in area and offers additional services and amenities.
- T2's Concourses: The west Concourse houses gates 234-246; the east Concourse houses gates 201-219.
- T2's Arrivals level houses the Customs facilities and baggage claim areas, information counter, rental car & transportation-related services, and access to outside transportation.
T2 offers food & drink, and retail concessions in most of its terminal facilities, and currency exchange at Departure Check-in C & D, at post-security; and at Mezzanine Check-in D & E, departure & arrival.
Note that T2's public area houses sleep accommodations - see 'On-Airport Hotels' above.
Terminal 3 with gates 301-326 (remote boarding for gates 390-314) is currently served by Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Alitalia, American, Avianca, Azul, British Airways, Emirates, Etihad, GOL, Iberia, KLM, Lufthansa, Qatar, South African, Swiss, LATAM (International), TAP, Turkish & United airlines.
- T3's Departure level houses check-in rows H, G & F, with entry thereafter to passport control and security check, amenities & services, and access to the Concourse /Pier and to VIP lounges. T3 offers shops (apparel & acessories, cosmetics, books/news, gifts, electronics & drugstore. It also offers restaurants, bars, snack venues and coffe & ice cream shops. Currentcy exchange services are available at check-in G, post-security.
- T3's Mezzanine level houses food & drink and retail options.
- T3's Arrivals level houses the Customs check and some services (rental car counters, transport services, information counter).
VIP lounges at Terminals 2 & 3:
- At Terminal 2: Bradesco, GOL Linhas Areas, Proair, Villa GRU,
- At Terminal 3: American Airlines lounge, Executive Lounge GRU, First-Call GRU, HUB, LATAM, Star Alliance,
Military Police at T1, Wing B, mezzanine; tel. (11) 2445-3750 / 2445-4404;
Civil Police at T2, Wing C - Departures Level, tel. (11) 2445-2221 - (24/7 service);
ANAC (National Civil Aviation Agency) at T1/T2, connecting corridor; tel. (11) 2445-2421;
SETUR - Secretary of Sports & Tourism at Arrivals level of T1 & T2; tel. (11) 2445-3045 / 2793
Immigration Support Service at T1, Wing B, mezzanine; tel. (11) 2445-4719.
Current & Future Airport developments:
- Guarulhos Airport is one of the Brazilian airports with 'facial recognition technology of NEC's NeoFace Watch solution.
- The current three terminals will be connected by moving walkways (it may alreay be in place).
- The 10-year Airport plan calls for new buildings, garages, hotels and other ventures.