Singapore Changi (SIN) Airport
Singapore Changi SIN Airport Overview
Singapore Changi Airport SIN has a reputation for efficiency, for its friendly and helpful staff, and for its clean and colorful surroundings. It is like a small city and has everything the traveler needs for comfort, including a movie theater, a swimming pool and a variety of first-class international eateries and shops. The airport also offers sight-seeing tours of the nearby city that fit in neatly between connecting flights.
Recently Changi added six more 'Best Airport' awards, including 'Best International Airport' and 'Best Airport in the World' awards (including in 2013). It may be noted that Changi Airport pays tribute once a year to its front-line personnel, support & maintenance staff for their excellent service and their outstanding contributions.
All nine Asian neighbor countries are now served by Changi Airport. Its top five routes include Jakarta, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Bankgkok & Manila. Changi presently serves 25 cities in China, and recently added flights to South America's Brazil (Sao Paulo), and Laos (Vientiane), and to Mandalay, via Yangon to Myanmar. The Airport is also a key stopover for flights from Europe to Australia.
The Airport is located on the eastern tip of the main island at Changi, much of which consists of reclaimed land, 17 km northeast of Changi's commercial center and covers an area of 13 square km.
With three long runways and an estimated 51.2 million passengers in 2012, Singapore Changi Airport is hub to Jetstar, Silkair, Singapore Airlines, Jetstar Asia Airways Tiger Airways & Valuair and secondary hub to Qantas, and is served by a myriad of national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Transfer passengers of Tiger Airways and its affiliates are offered easy transfers, with no need for travel visa, immigration clearance or retrieval & re-check-in of their bags.
1. The 9-story Crowne Plaza Changi Airport Hotel, linked to Terminal 3 by a covered walkway, with the large Crowne Plaza Club Lounge and conference facilities;
2. Transit hotels for hourly & overnight stays are inside of Terminals 1, 2 & 3 (in T1, at level 3, Transit Mall East; in T2, level 3, Transit Mall South; and in T3, Mezzanine level 3 at Transit Mall North). For Terminal 1 call (65 6542) 5538, for T2 call 8122 & for T3 call 9788) - Transit Hotels are intended for a short rest between flights and to freshen up - no need to clear Immigration.
The passenger terminal complex at Changi Airport consists of five terminals - T1, T2, T3, and the JetQuay CIP Terminal. The main terminals are T1, T2 & T3: The Skytrain connects all three terminals. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking Options at Changi Airport: (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental car counters are in the Arrivals Halls of all three main terminals.
To get from Changi Airport to your destination you can rent a car (Arrivals Halls of T1, T2 & T3 - Avis is in all three terminals, Hertz is only in T2 & T3), or take a taxi (at taxi ranks outside the terminals), or a shuttle bus, bus or a train.
The Ground Transportation Desk (tel. (65) 6241 3818) offers information on transportation for 4-seater Mercedes Limos, 7-seater Mercedes Maxicabs, 9-seater Toyota Coaster or the Airport shuttle bus.
1. Free Shuttle bus on weekends/ holidays runs every 90 minutes to/from Ang Mo Kio, Sengkang, Toa Payoh MRT station & Changi business Park.
2. Shuttle buses serve most of Singapore's hotels. Go to the Ground Transportation Desk at the Arrivals Halls for more information.
3. Buses: Bus 36 to the City runs between 6am-midnight, takes an hour and stops at the basement bus bays of T1, T2 & T3. You need the exact fare.
4. The coach to Johor Bahru in Malaysia is a new hourly Transtar Cross-Border service, starting at bus stops in front of Terminals 1, 2 & 3 and the Budget Terminal and ending at Kotaraya II Terminal. Transtar Travel has a counter in the Arrivals Hall of Terminal 2, b you can also inquire at any of the Information counters in all terminals' Arrivals Halls.
4. Trains: The MRT to the city runs 5:30am-11:18pm, and takes 27 mins. Tickets can be bought at the station. The MRTCity Train station is on the basement level of T2 & T3, accessible from Arrival Hall & Departure Check-in Hall by escalators and elevators. (T1 passengers can use the SkyTrain to get to T2 or T3, while Budget Terminal passengers can use the free shuttle bus to T2.)
Present and future Airport developments:
1. Construction on the new 2-level Terminal 4 (on the site of the former Budget Terminal) is to accommodate 16 million passengers a year, and is to serve regional full-service & low-cost airliens, and is intended primarily for narrow-body aircraft for quick turnaround flights. An overhead bridge will span across the Concourse transporting passeners to aircraft stands. Transfer passengers and their baggage will be able to transfer in the secured area to the other terminals. T4 is to have the same look & ambience as T1 & T2. All boarding gates will be accessible via airbridges. The 160,000 sq.meter new terminal will have a centralized departure & immigration control, self-tagging & self-bag drops, & a fully automated baggage sorting system.
2. T4 will also get its own multi-storey carpark.
3. Other improvements will include (a) increasing the airfield capacity for more aircraft parking stands; (b) make road improvements, including a new road funneling taffic from T4 directly to East Coast Parkway.
Completion is scheduled for 2017, while construction of a third runway on reclaimed land is scheduled for 2020.
Singapore Changi SIN Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- SIN Baggage Carts / Skycap
- SIN Baggage Claim
- SIN Banking / ATM Services
- SIN Business Services
- SIN Currency Exchange
- SIN Emergency / Medical Services
- SIN Guest Services
- SIN Internet Access
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Singapore Changi SIN Airport Update History
- Updated SIN Airports page - May 16, 2013
- Updated SIN Food & Stores page - May 16, 2013
- Updated SIN Airport Intro page - Apr 17, 2013
- Updated SIN Main Terminals page - Apr 17, 2013
- Updated SIN Direct Flights page - Mar 20, 2013
- Updated SIN Official Website Links page - Feb 20, 2013
- Updated SIN Parking On site page - Dec 26, 2012