Singapore Changi (SIN) Airport
Singapore Changi SIN Airport Overview
Changi Airport is like a small city, offering everything the traveler needs for comfort, including a movie theater, a swimming pool and a variety of first-class international eateries and shops. Sight-seeing tours to the nearby city are designed to fit in neatly between connecting flights. Year after year, Changi Airport is honored with awards - it recently added six more 'Best Airport' awards, including 'Best International Airport' and 'Best Airport in the World' awards from Skytrax for the 5th time. And, to top it all, for the third year in a row Changi Airport received from Skytrax the 2015 award for 'World's Best Airport'!
It may be noted that Changi Airport pays tribute once a year to its front-line personnel, support & maintenance staff for their excellent service and their outstanding contributions.
Changi Airport - covering an area of 13 square km - is located on the eastern tip of the main island at Changi (much of which consists of reclaimed land), and is 17 km northeast of Changi's commercial center.
Serving an estimated 53.5 million passengers per year, Singapore Changi Airport is hub to Singapore Airlines, Jetstar, Silkair, Asia Airways, Tiger Airways & Valuair and secondary hub to Qantas, and is served by a myriad of national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. All nine Asian neighbor countries are now served by Changi Airport. Its top five routes include Jakarta, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Bankgkok & Manila. Changi Airport is also a key stopover for flights from Europe to Australia.
Transfer passengers of Tiger Airways and its affiliates are offered easy transfers, with no need for travel visa, immigration clearance or retrieval & re-check-in of their bags.
Changi Airport has presently four terminals - T1, T2, T3 & the JetQuay CIP Terminal.
1. The 9-story Crowne Plaza Changi Airport Hotel, linked to Terminal 3 by a covered walkway, with the large Crowne Plaza Club Lounge and conference facilities;
2. Transit hotels for hourly & overnight stays are inside of Terminals 1, 2 & 3 (in T1, at level 3, Transit Mall East; in T2, level 3, Transit Mall South; and in T3, Mezzanine level 3 at Transit Mall North). For Terminal 1 call (65 6542) 5538, for T2 call 8122 & for T3 call 9788) - Transit Hotels are intended for a short rest between flights and to freshen up - no need to clear Immigration.
Present and future Airport developments:
1. Ongoing new Terminal 4 (T4) construction with its own parking garage and a new road directing taffic from T4 to East Coast Parkway is to be completed by 2017.
2. Other improvements will include (a) increasing the airfield capacity for more aircraft parking stands and making road improvements - to be completed by 2017.
3. Jewel Complex* (outside of T1) construction & T2 expansion: At the site of an outdoor carpark the 'Jewel complex' and the simultaneous Terminal 2 expansion (adding over 70 percent floor space on arrivals & baggage claim halls) will link Jewel, T2 and the MRT Mass Rapid Transit station. Also, a new Airport hotel and carpark will be added - all to be completed by 2018:
4. Aside from the new T4, another 4-level passenger terminal - covering an area of 870,000 sq.feet and able to handle 20M passengers annually - is tentatively scheduled for completion by 2019, and will include a parking facility connected to the main terminal via monorail.
* Ongoing work on the 'Jewel' project involves a mixed-use 5-level round building (glass dome) - to become a future tourist destination, and will exhibit the largest indoor plant collection of Singapore - with a Forest Valley with thousands of trees, plants, & waterfalls, and four different Gateway Gardens. At the center is a 40-meter high Rain Vortex waterfall, illumiated by light show & sound. The Jewel structure will have a wide range of retail/dining outlets and a Canopy Park adventure playground .