Singapore Changi (SIN) Airport
Singapore Changi SIN Airport Overview
Recently Changi added six more 'Best Airport' awards, including 'Best International Airport' and 'Best Airport in the World' awards from Skytrax for the 5th time. It may be noted that Changi Airport pays tribute once a year to its front-line personnel, support & maintenance staff for their excellent service and their outstanding contributions.
SIN Airport - covering an area of 13 square km - is located on the eastern tip of the main island at Changi (much of which consists of reclaimed land), and is 17 km northeast of Changi's commercial center.
Serving an estimated 53.5 million passengers per year, Singapore Changi Airport is hub to Singapore Airlines, Jetstar, Silkair, Asia Airways, Tiger Airways & Valuair and secondary hub to Qantas, and is served by a myriad of national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. All nine Asian neighbor countries are now served by Changi Airport. Its top five routes include Jakarta, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Bankgkok & Manila. Changi Airport is also a key stopover for flights from Europe to Australia.
Transfer passengers of Tiger Airways and its affiliates are offered easy transfers, with no need for travel visa, immigration clearance or retrieval & re-check-in of their bags.
Changi Airport has presently five terminals - T1, T2, T3 & the JetQuay CIP Terminal.
1. The 9-story Crowne Plaza Changi Airport Hotel, linked to Terminal 3 by a covered walkway, with the large Crowne Plaza Club Lounge and conference facilities;
2. Transit hotels for hourly & overnight stays are inside of Terminals 1, 2 & 3 (in T1, at level 3, Transit Mall East; in T2, level 3, Transit Mall South; and in T3, Mezzanine level 3 at Transit Mall North). For Terminal 1 call (65 6542) 5538, for T2 call 8122 & for T3 call 9788) - Transit Hotels are intended for a short rest between flights and to freshen up - no need to clear Immigration.
Present and future Airport developments:
1. Ongoing new Terminal 4 (T4) construction with its own parking garage and a new road funneling taffic from T4 directly to East Coast Parkway is to be completed by 2017.
2. Cruise connection: Changi Airport Group & Singapore Tourism board are collaborating with Pincess Cruises (of Carnival Corp.) to offer carefully scheduled departures to more destinations from Singapore than any other cruise line.
3. Other improvements will include (a) increasing the airfield capacity for more aircraft parking stands and making road improvements - to be completed by 2017; and (c) construction of a third runway on reclaimed land is scheduled for 2020.