Vancouver International Airport YVR is Canada's second-busiest airport - serving the Province of British Columbia's large West Coast 'Sea Island' and the city of Vancouver. For seven consecutive year, Skytrax awarded YVR the 'Number onAirport in North America - (in its size category).
The Airport Authority's vision is to continue to develop YVR as a premier global gateway, connecting the Asia-Pacific region and the Americas. Its environmental achievements include 'Salmon-safe' certification for itsland & watr management practices.
YVR Airport is about 12 kilometers from downtown Vancouver on Sea Island, and is directly accessible by the Grant McConachie Way leading over the bridge to Hwy 99, which connects to the south to Hwy 91, the East-West Connector.
With four runways and 23.3M passengers in 2016, Vancouver International Airport is hub for Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz. It is Canada's major gateway to Asia with the most trans-pacific flights, and is served by numerous domestic and international airlines offering nonstop flights within Canada and direct & connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Present & future Airport developments:
- Air China has joined the TWOV & CTT programs, enabling Chinese passengers to travel to/ from the U.S. via Vancouver Airport without obtaining a Canadian visa.
- Automated Passport Control (using self-service kiosk for passport information) will allow eligible passengers heading for the U.S. to quicker clear customs
- Dedicated CATSA security screening lines are now available for transborder flights at Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto Pearson, and Montreal airports. Eligible 'Trusted Travelers' - including: members of NEXUS & Global Entry programs; Canadian and US military, and aircrew in uniform with valid ID - may use these lines. Self-serve NEXUS kiosks clear customs and immigration faster.
- Arriving visa-exempt foreign nationals (except US citizens and travelers with a valid visa) need an Elecronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The BorderXpress APC kiosks are able to process travelers with valid visas, Mexican passengers* with border crossing cards, and foreign airline crew members. *NOTE: As of December 1, 2016, Mexicans no longer need a Canadian visa and will generally upon arrival at Canada, be granted a 6-month stay.
The on-Airport Fairmont Vancouver Airport hotel (tel. 604-207-5200), a sound-proof luxury hotel, is located above the US. Terminal and is accessible from level 3. Aside from outstanding amenities it also offers meeting or conference rooms for up to 200 persons.
Vancouver International Airport has a Domestic & an International Terminal, and a small regional hub called the 'South Terminal'.
Vancouver International Airport South offers easy access and ample parking, served by Island Express Air, KD Air Corp., Orca Airways & Pacific Coastal Airlines. It is also includes the Floatplane Facility served by scheduled Seair Seaplanes, Tofino Air, Gulf Island Seaplanes serving regional locations - including fishing lodges. The South Terminal shuttle runs between the South Terminal and Domestic/International terminals - but used for same-day transfer only)
- The $1.8 Billion -10-year airport improvement project - will include over 700 meters of post-security corridors & moving walkways to reduce connecting time; a new high-speed baggage system; the upgrade of older areas of the Domestic Terminal; and the addition of runway safety measures.
- New 'Flight Plan 2037' represents the Airport's strategy in achieving to become a world-class sustainable hub connecting Asia and the Americas. The Plan includes terminal expansions, new taxiways, a geo-exchange system, and Sea Island upgrades to road & bridges.