Auckland (AKL) Airport
Auckland AKL Airport Overview
Auckland Airport AKL serves the North Island of New Zealand. Skytrax has bestowed Auckland Airport its 2012 award for 'Second-best Airport worldwide' and Best Airport in the Australia/Pacific region in the 1-20 million pasengers/year category.
A trip to Auckland's city center takes 40-45 minutes in light traffic, and to Manukai city 20 minutes. To get to the Airport from Auckland's city center, take the Gilles Ave exit on the southern motorway and follow the signs to Auckland Airport.
The toll-free number within New Zealand for inquiries is 0800 247 767.
The Airport is located in Mangere, a western suburb of Manukau City, and 21 km south of Auckland's city center, on the North Island of New Zealand. State Highways 20A and 20B are the main highways connect the Airport. 20A to the north leads to Auckland, its western & northern suburbs, while 20B to the east offers access to southern & eastern Auckland and al of North Island. Highway 20's Manukau extension now allows motorway access to State Highway 1 via 20B.
With two very long runways and an estimated 13.7 million passengers in 2012, Auckland Airport is hub to Air new Zealand and Pacific Blue airlines, and is served by a large fleet of international and domestic airlines offering direct and connecting flights to destinations in New Zealand and around the world.
The first direct flight from Auckland to Guangzou by China Southern Airline started 2011, and the overall number of Chinese tourists visiting New Zealand is continuously expanding.
Hawaiian Airlines starts its flights to Japan, South Korea, New York, & Brisbana in Fall 2012, and to Honolulu in March 2013.
On-Airport Hotels at Auckland Airport: 1. The 4-star 'Novotel' hotel next to the International Terminal; and 2. The 'Formule 1' hotel, a more affordable option . Note also that 'sleepinginairports' has rated Auckland Airport as being the world's 7th best airport for sleeping overnight.
The passenger terminal complex at Auckland Aiport consists of the Domestic Terminal on Andrew McKee Avenue and the International Terminal on Ray Emery Drive. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at Auckland Airport: (For detailed information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental car counters are in two locations: (a) in the arrivals area, ground level, of the International terminal, and (b) in the multi-level garage, gound level, opposite the Domestic terminal's forecourt. Several Capervan rental companies operate on Richard Pearce Drive.
To get from Auckland Airport to your destination you can rent a car, take a taxi, a shuttle bus or a bus:
1. Taxis & shuttle ranks are outside the Arrivals area at door 8 of the International Terminal, and outside the baggage claim area at door 4 of the Domestic Terminal; prebooking is available. For Quality Cabs shuttle service call +64 9 257 0000.
2. The Airbus Express runs every 15 minutes to Auckland's central business district & waterfront Downtown Ferry Terminal. It stops outside the Mt. Eden train station in both directions.
3. The Manukau orange bus leaves every 30 mins and connects with the Papatoetoe train station in both directions.
4. for the SuperShuttle call 0800 748 885 or +64 9 522 5100.
5. Bus service is avaible to Auckland, Manukau, Botany/Pakuranga and Northshore. The MAXX webside has all bus, train & ferry connections with a journey planner, or you can call +64 9 366 6400.
Auckland AKL Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- AKL Baggage Carts / Skycap
- AKL Banking / ATM Services
- AKL Business Services
- AKL Currency Exchange
- AKL Emergency / Medical Services
- AKL Guest Services
- AKL Internet Access
- AKL Lost & Found
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Auckland AKL Airport Update History
- Updated AKL Airports page - May 2, 2013
- Updated AKL Food & Stores page - May 2, 2013
- Updated AKL Airport Intro page - May 1, 2013
- Updated AKL Main Terminals page - May 1, 2013
- Updated AKL Direct Flights page - Jan 21, 2013
- Updated AKL Official Website Links page - Jan 4, 2013
- Updated AKL Parking On site page - Dec 26, 2012