A trip to Auckland's city center takes 40-45 minutes in light traffic, and to Manukai city 20 minutes. To get to the Airport from Auckland's city center, take the Gilles Ave exit on the southern motorway and follow the signs to Auckland Airport.
The toll-free number for inquiries within New Zealand is 0800 247 767.
AKL Airport is located in Mangere, a western suburb of Manukau City, and 21 km south of Auckland's city center, on the North Island of New Zealand. State Highways 20A and 20B are the main highways connect the Airport. 20A to the north leads to Auckland, its western & northern suburbs, while 20B to the east offers access to southern & eastern Auckland and al of North Island. Highway 20's Manukau extension now allows motorway access to State Highway 1 via 20B.
With two very long runways and an estimated 16 million passengers yearly, Auckland Airport is hub to Air new Zealand and Pacific Blue, and is served by a large fleet of international and domestic airlines offering direct and connecting flights to destinations in New Zealand and around the world.
The first direct flight from Auckland to Guangzou by China Southern Airline started 2011, and the overall number of Chinese tourists visiting New Zealand has been continuously expanding since.
- American Airlines (a member of the Oneworld Alliance) started June 2016 with daily service from/to Los Angeles.
- United Airlines (a member of the Star Alliance) started June 2016 with B787 Dreamliner service from/to San Francisco.
- New Zealand & Australian passport holders may use on arrival automated passenger processing via SmartGate / SmartGate Plus.
- The new passenger return levy is $22 (it might be inluded in the ticket price for some).
- December & January are the busiest summer months - allow extra 30 minutes to get trough the Airport
- The first self-service kiosk was installed year-end 2016 ,with remaining ones completed before summer season's start.
- A taskforce is to reach immediate ways for improving travel times and roads & state highway congestion to, from, and around the Airport, including timing of other projects currently planned for transport network performance.
On-Airport Hotels at Auckland Airport:
- The 4-star 'Novotel' hotel next to the International Terminal; and the 'Formule 1' hotel, a more affordable option.
- A new 5-star hotel is to be built next to the current Novotel.
('Sleepinginairports' has rated Auckland Airport as being the world's 7th best airport for sleeping overnight.)
Auckland Airport has a Domestic & an International Terminal - connected by free bus transfer or walkway.
Important Telelphone numbers of Government Agencies:
Aviation Security Service: +64 9 256 6001
New Zealand Customs: +64 9 926 5613
MPI Biosecurity New Zealand: +64 9 909 8609
Immigration New Zealand: +64 9 914 4100; within New Zealand 0508 55 88 55 (toll free)
Airport Police: +64 9 275 9046
Airways Corporation: +64 9 275 3109
Department of Internal Affairs: +64 9 275 9617.
Current & Future Airport Developments: The first phase of construction started on a new integrated domestic / international terminal (housing eventually 3 concourses & 94 aircraft parking spaces). It involves the extension of the international baggage hall by 90 meters & a sixth baggage belt) bringing capacity up to 500 passengers fom Airbus A380 flight. The international departure area will get a new security processing zone, passenger lounge and shopping area. The new Terminal Plaza & forecourt in front of the new terminal will be housing an underground station for rapid public transport, and for retail and leisure areas. Below are the estimated completion dates for the current and upcoming projects:
- By May 2017 the remaining half of the two anchor duty-free shops, and first half of new passenger lounge & retail hub.
- By early 2018 the remaining half of the new passenger lounge & retail hub.
- By 'around 2021 - total completion of the integrated new terminal.
- By 2025 a second runway is to be built.
Manukau - Mangere, North Island, 2150
Phone: +64 9 275 0789 /fax 5835