Auckland (AKL) Airport
Auckland AKL Airport Overview
A trip to Auckland's city center takes 40-45 minutes in light traffic, and to Manukai city 20 minutes. To get to the Airport from Auckland's city center, take the Gilles Ave exit on the southern motorway and follow the signs to Auckland Airport.
The toll-free number within New Zealand for inquiries is 0800 247 767.
AKL Airport is located in Mangere, a western suburb of Manukau City, and 21 km south of Auckland's city center, on the North Island of New Zealand. State Highways 20A and 20B are the main highways connect the Airport. 20A to the north leads to Auckland, its western & northern suburbs, while 20B to the east offers access to southern & eastern Auckland and al of North Island. Highway 20's Manukau extension now allows motorway access to State Highway 1 via 20B.
With two very long runways and an estimated 14 million passengers yearly, Auckland Airport is hub to Air new Zealand and Pacific Blue, and is served by a large fleet of international and domestic airlines offering direct and connecting flights to destinations in New Zealand and around the world. A new taxiway opened early July 2013, doubling aircraft access at western side of International Terminal.
The first direct flight from Auckland to Guangzou by China Southern Airline started 2011, and the overall number of Chinese tourists visiting New Zealand has been continuously expanding since.
NOTE: New Zealand & Australian passport holders may use on arrival automated passenger processing via SmartGate / SmartGate Plus.
On-Airport Hotels at Auckland Airport: 1. The 4-star 'Novotel' hotel next to the International Terminal; and
2. The 'Formule 1' hotel, a more affordable option .
'Sleepinginairports' has rated Auckland Airport as being the world's 7th best airport for sleeping overnight.
Auckland Aiport has a Domestic & an International Terminal - connected by free bus transfer or walkway.
Important Telelphone numbers of Government Agencies:
Aviation Security Service: +64 9 256 6001
New Zealand Customs: +64 9 926 5613
MPI Biosecurity New Zealand: +64 9 909 8609
Immigration New Zealand: +64 9 914 4100; within New Zealand 0508 55 88 55 (toll free)
Airport Police: +64 9 275 9046
Airways Corporation: +64 9 275 3109
Department of Internal Affairs: +64 9 275 9617
Current & Future Airport Developments: 1. The Domestic Terminal is being upgraded in phases - already completed are improvements to the forecourt and the domestic terminal is able to cater to larger aircraft ; as a result of the latest upgrade, conjestion has aleady been reduced.
1. In summer 2014, the first phase of construction on a new integrated domestic / international terminal (with eventually 3 concourses & 94 aircraft parking spaces) involves extension of the international baggage hall by 2,500 sq.meters & an additional baggage belt) - to be completed late November 2014.
2. In front of the new terminal will be the Terminal Plaza & forecourt housing an underground station for rapid public transport, and retail and leisure areas.
3. The integrated terminal is forecasted to be completed 'around 2025'.
Ray Emery Drive
Manukau - Mangere, North Island, 2150
- Website for Auckland: http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz
- Contact: http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/en/Corporate/ContactUs.aspx
- Phone: +64 9 275 0789 /fax 5835