Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport BKK – or simply BSIA - is Thailand's premier airport and serves the City of Bangkok and its surrounding areas. It opened in 2006 with a new name - partially replacing Bangkok Don Muang Airport (now offering limited domestic & low-cost carrier flights). The name of Suvarnabhumi translates into the 'Golden Land'. BSIA has consistently received high ranks among large world airports, and calls itself the ‘Airport of Smiles’. BSIA is operated by the Airports of Thailand Public Corp.
BSIA Airport is located in Rachathewa, in the Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan province, 30 km east of Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand. It is directly accessible via the Bangkok Chon Buri Motorway (Hwy 7) or from either the Lat Krabang Rd. or the Bangna-Trat Rd., and has five access and entrance routes. The new 28.6 km mostly elevated Airport Rail Link parallel to Motorway 7 and the Si Rat Expressway gets you quickly to the Airport.
With two very long runways and over 50M travelers, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is hub for Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Orient Thai Airlines and Thai AirAsia, and is served by a myriad of national and international, regular & low-cost airlines and charters, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
- the 612-room Novotel hotel at Bangkok Airport (tel. +66 2 131 1111 /fax 1188) is located above the underground rail link station, in front of the passenger terminal.
- Fully-equipped ‘Day Rooms’ are available at the Airort's Trasit Hotel (Louis' Tavern Dayrooms).are located on Level 3 near gates A1-A6; and on level 4 near gates G1-G5.
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport has presently only one passenger terminal, with seven concourses.
NOTE: Thai customs enforce duty-free limits of B10,000 on overseas purchases
Current & Future Airport Developments: Currently the passenger terminal is undergoing expansion work, which would raise capac ity from 45M to 6M passengers annually. Work involves the following:
- Construction of a concourse, parking bays & tunnel in the Airport's southern area;
- Setting up the utility system; and the hiring of the construction's overseer.
The expansion project is to be completed by November 2019.
- A second terminal & extension of third runway have been rescheduled to start 2018, to be tentatively completed by 2020.