BRO AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
BRO Delays: 15 mins or less.
Brownsville S-Padre Island BRO Airport Overview
Brownsville/South Padre Island International Airport BRO - or simply 'BSPII Airport' serves the Texas areas of the Rio Grande and Northern Mexico and is mostly used for general aviation. The opening of Brownsville Airport coincided with an important milestone in aviation history: In March 1929, Charles Lindbergh landed in Brownsville after a five-hour, 38-minute flight from Mexico City, establishing the first leg of airmail service to Mexico. Amelia Earhart and a crowd of 20,000 greeted Lindbergh at the then newly opened airport.
The Airport is located 4 nautical miles east of the City of Brownsville, at the very southern tip of Texas. It is also 20 miles from South Padre Island, known for having one of America's best beaches, and 5 miles from Matamoros, Mexico, accessible via three international bridges in downtown Brownsville.
With one long runway, and an estimated 200,000 passengers a year, the Airport is served by Aeromexico, American & United airlines, offering presently direct flights to airport hubs of Houston &Dallas/Fort Worth, with connections worldwide.
Check-in time is one hour prior to scheduled departure.
U.S. ENTRY BY WESTERN HEMISPHERE PASSENGERS (from Mexico, Central & South America, Bermuda and Canada):
1. US Citizens need proof of valid US citizenship (driver's license, passport, birth or naturalization certificate recommended).
2. Lawful Permanent U.S. Residents need to show Alien Registration Card or other valid evidence of their lawful status.
3. Canadian Citizens & Citizens of Bermuda: A verbal declaration & ability to prove your Canada or Bermuda citizenship by presenting driver's license and either birth or naturalizaton certificate or passport.
4. Mexican Citizens & nationals: All Mexican citizens, including children, must present a border crossing card or passport with visa.
The full-service passenger terminal at Brownsville/South Padre Island Airport has four airline gates .
Parking options at BSPII Airport: All parking facilities can be accessed from Amelia Earhart Drive. Across from the passenger germinal is the short-term hourly parking lot E; and right across from it is the larger short-term daily lot D1. Opposite Lot D is the long-term daily Lot F, followed by the Rental car ready lot G at Emery Watts St., and the rental car storage lot H. There is also an overflowdaily Lot I on the opposite side of A.Earhart Drive. Parking rates are presently fixed at $5 in all lots.
A rental car counters are in the arrivals area of the terminal, and rental cars are parked in Lot G.
To get from BSPII Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi or either the Rio Gulf Coast Shuttle 1-800-574-8322 or The Wave (761-1025 (South Padre Island).
The Airport Shuttle at $1 will take you to your WAVE transfer at the Island.
Present & future Airport Developments: Most of grant money received is going towards updating infrastructure; the rest is allocated to a present study whether to renovate the existing terminal or build a new one.
Brownsville S-Padre Island BRO Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Brownsville S-Padre Island BRO Airport Update History
- Updated BRO Airports page - Mar 18, 2013
- Updated BRO Direct Flights page - Mar 18, 2013
- Updated BRO Parking On site page - Jan 27, 2013
- Updated BRO Airport Intro page - Jan 24, 2013