Canberra (CBR) Airport
Canberra CBR Airport Overview
Canberra Airport CBR serves the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) and its capital City Canberra, as well as the New South Wales city of Queanbeyan. It is Australia's eight-busiest Airport. The Airport is considered to be 'Sydneys second Airport'. The Brindabella Business Park is adjacent to the passenger terminal.
Canberra is Australia's largest inland city, located at the northern end of ACT - 280 km SW of Sydney, with a population of 360,000.
The Airport is located 7.4 km southeast of Canberra and is directly accessible via National Route Alt 23 or Pialligo Ave. It can also be accessed from the nearby Business Park via Tysen Drive. Coming from Canberra, take the Morshead Rd. SE (pass three roundabouts); continue unto Palligo Av.; then take Airtourer Rd left, Genairco St. right, and continue to Terminal Circuit.
With two runways and an estimated 3.7 million passengers in 2012, Canberra Airport is presently serving only domestic flight carriers. However, upon completion of the new terminal now under construction, international flights can be accommodated.
The passenger terminal at Canberra Airport has undergone extensive renovation and extension work since 2009, and finished its Phase 2 of construction in March 2013. Presently the 'new' state-of-the-art Terminal with glass walls, color-coded signage guiding passengers through arrivals & departures, also has a new aircraft apron, multi-level car parks, indoor taxi rank & a dual-lane axial roadway.
Terminal's is separated by the Atrium in the center (a three-level glass facade), into South and East Concourses (also referred to as Concourse Terminals).
There are now 44 check-in counters, added screening areas; 4 new baggage carousel; 10 new glass-enclosed & air-conditioned boarding bridges,, leather seating in the departure lounges, airline club, business lounges with views; taxi rank waiting area with TV; and new Art.
Parking at Canberra Airport: The terminal complex has two 4-level garages in front of it, as well two open-air carparks, behind the garages - both garages and open-air carparks are located on opposite sides of the access/entry road to the terminal. Near the Airport entrance is a gas station. . To pick up a passenger at the Terminal, use the open-air carpark with spaces closest to the terminal walkway - the first 10 mins. are free. Another carpark is under construction (or maybe completed already).
Rental car counters are located in the common user terminal area.
To get from Canberra Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi or a bus: The Airport Shuttle Bus & Coach Transfers are located at the lower-level access road across from the garage.
The Airport Express mini buses serve Canberra City (for pre-booking call 1300 368 897 or visit royalecoach.com.au
Deane's Buslines, Route 834, serve nearby Queanbeyan.
The closest public Action bus stops at the Brindabella Business Park, a 5-min. walk
Coaches serve New South Wales Snow Fields (Gand Touring, Greyhound, Hummingbird Charters & Transborder).
Present and future Airport developments: Phase 3 of the Airport enhancement project is now ongoing, involving the international zone, indoor taxi rank & demolition of old terminal - to be replaced by 2 additional airbridges.
Canberra CBR Services
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Canberra CBR Airport Update History
- Updated CBR Airport Intro page - May 10, 2013
- Updated CBR Airports page - May 10, 2013
- Updated CBR Food & Stores page - Mar 14, 2013
- Updated CBR Terminal Map page - Mar 13, 2013
- Updated CBR Parking On site page - Jan 28, 2013