Houston Intercontinental (IAH) Airport
Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport Overview
IAH Airport is about 23 miles north of downtown Houston - accessible from Interstate Hwy 45, Hwy. 59, Hardy and Sam Houston (Beltway 8) Toll Roads.
NOTE: Roadway impacts started late July 2015 - resulting in closure of East-West traffic just beyond Terminal C (near Marriott Hotel). Only a single path accesses Terminals A & B & Marriott Hotel. An alternate path for Terminals C, D & E are available.
With five long runways and an annual passenger count of about 39.8 million, Houston Intercontinental Airport is hub to United Airlines, and is served by a multitude of major airlines offering direct and connecting flights to countless destinations in the U.S. and around the world.
- Subscribers to Airlines' paperless boarding now receive their boarding pass electronically on their mobile phone or PDA.
- Global Entry: The automated self-service kiosk is intended for frequent travelers, enrolled in the Global Entry system, to bypass passport control, customs & Immigration when returning to the U.S., by simply activating their data at this kiosk (note that the Global Entry program is now extended to Mexican citizens). NOTE that a Satellite Enrollment Center for the Global Entry program is now available on the mezzanine level of the City Hall Vistor's Center in Houston. For moe information visit globalentry.gov.
- TSA Pre-check is now available. The TSA tel. number is 281-848-2957.
- Self-service kiosks with Automated Passport Control (APC) technology are available to U.S. & Canadian citizens who arrive at IAH from international flights.
- ACCESS: During new Terminal C North construction the North Terminal Road will be divided between eastern & western routes: Eastern Route will access TC, TD & TE; western route will access T1, TB & the Marriott Hotel.
The on-Airport 'Airport Marriott Hotel' completed its remodeling work Jan. 2016. Located in the center of the Airport terminal complex - the airside of the terminals is linked to the hotel's dining & conference rooms. The hotel also provides free underground train service. Tel.: 281-443-2310 or 800-228-9290).
Houston Intercontinental Airport has five passenger terminals - TA though TE.
Present and Future Airport Developments include Terminal B overhaul, & a new International Terminal D:
1. Current United's Terminal B Overhaul:
(a) Phase 1: A 6,000 square-foot United Club will be added soon;
(b) Construction Phases 2 & 3 involve the overhaul of the Central Terminal B lobby, baggage claim areas, new international-capable North Concourse for mainline & regional jets; new Federal Inspection Services facility & infrastructure improvements - tentatively scheduled for completion in 2019.
2. The 'new Terminal C North' had its groundbreaking in May 2015. The 265,000 sq.foot facility, located between Terminals B & C, houses 11 boarding gates for all types of United Airline carriers. Upon its completion, the old North Concourse will be demolished - to be used for reconstruction of the Mickey Leland International Terminal D.
3. New Mickey Leland International Terminal with 15 gates - to eventually replace Terminal D - is to be completed in phases: According to 'State of the Airport 2015' presentation issued March 2015, demolition work on the current Terminal D is scheduled to start 2017, with the new terminal to be operational by year-end 2021.
Phase 1 construction: build C Pier end & temporary jetbridges; & start on East C Pier extention & central processor;
Phase 2 construction: renovate C Pier in gate-by-gate phases; construction to continue on East C Pier extension & central processor;
Phase 3 construction: Phase 3A:temporary vertical circulation core for transit between new & existing facilities; Phase 3B: new C pier opens processor.
Phases 4 , 5 & 6 will follow therafter, ending tentatively by 2021.
IAH AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
IAH Delays: 15 mins or less.