Houston Intercontinental (IAH) Airport
Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport Overview
IAH Airport is about 23 miles north of downtown Houston - accessible from Interstate Hwy 45, Hwy. 59, Hardy and Sam Houston (Beltway 8) Toll Roads.
With five long runways and an annual passenger count of about 41 million, Houston Intercontinental Airport is hub to United Airlines, and is served by a multitude of major airlines offering direct and connecting flights to countless destinations in the U.S. and around the world.
- Subscribers to Airlines' paperless boarding now receive their boarding pass electronically on their mobile phone or PDA.
- Global Entry: The automated self-service kiosk is intended for frequent travelers, enrolled in the Global Entry system, to bypass passport control, customs & Immigration when returning to the U.S., by simply activating their data at this kiosk (note that the Global Entry program is now extended to Mexican citizens). NOTE that a Satellite Enrollment Center for the Global Entry program is now available on the mezzanine level of the City Hall Vistor's Center in Houston. For moe information visit globalentry.gov.
- TSA Pre-check is now available. The TSA tel. number is 281-848-2957.
- Self-service kiosks with Automated Passport Control (APC) technology are available to U.S. & Canadian citizens who arrive at IAH from international flights.
- ACCESS: During new Terminal C North construction, the North Terminal Road will be divided between eastern & western routes: Eastern Route will access TC, TD & TE; western route will access T1, TB & the Marriott Hotel.
The on-Airport 'Airport Marriott Hotel' completed its remodeling work Jan. 2016. Located in the center of the Airport terminal complex - the airside of the terminals is linked to the hotel's dining & conference rooms. The hotel also provides free underground train service. Tel.: 281-443-2310 or 800-228-9290).
Houston Intercontinental Airport has five passenger terminals - TA though TE.
Present and Future Airport Developments (Terminal B overhaul, new Terminal C North;new International Terminal D:
Current United's Terminal B Overhaul:
- Phase 1: A 6,000 square-foot United Club will be added soon;
- Construction Phases 2 & 3 involve the overhaul of the Central Terminal B lobby, baggage claim areas, new international-capable North Concourse for mainline & regional jets; new Federal Inspection Services facility & infrastructure improvements - tentatively scheduled for completion in 2019.
New Terminal C North's construction started in May 2015. The 265,000 sq.foot facility, located between Terminals B & C, will house 11boarding gates for all types of United Airline carriers. Upon its completion, the old North Concourse will be demolished - to be used for reconstruction of the Mickey Leland International Terminal D.
A new International Terminal D - named after Mickey Leland, with 15 gates - will eventually replace the current Terminal D. It is to be completed in phases: Demolition work on the current Terminal D is scheduled to start 2017, with the new terminal to be operational by year-end 2021.
- Phase 1 is to build C Pier end & temporary jetbridges; & start on East C Pier extention & central processor;
- Phase 2 is to renovate C Pier in gate-by-gate phases; construction to continue on East C Pier extension & central processor;
- Phases 3A-3B: Phase 3A creates a :temporary vertical circulation core for transit between new & existing facilities; Phase 3B opens the processor of the new C pier.
- Phases 4 , 5 & 6 will follow therafter, ending tentatively by 2021.
IAH AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
IAH Delays: 15 mins or less.