Hamad International Airport DOH
- opened April 30, 2014 - serves the State of Qatar and is now its primary airport (while Doha Airport will now only function as secondary airport). It serves the State and its City of Doha, and will also be used for international stopovers. In March 2016 Skytrax awarded Hamad International the 'Best World's Best Airport' in the 20-40-million passenger category. It also classified it as the sixth Airport in the orld to achiev a 5-Star Status. The World's richest State also boasts is most luxurious airport.
Hamad International Airport is located at the City of Doha's southeastern end - accessible via Ras Abu Abbound Street - and only 4 km east of Doha Airport.
With the Eastern Runway in operation (2 extra-long parallel runways under construction) and 37.3M passengers in 2016, Hamad Airport is served by domestic & international airlines offering direct & connecting flights to all parts of the globe.
In the future, Hamad is to occupy 29 sq.km and able to serve 50M passengers a year.)
Expedited travel options include Check-in, Bags-Ready-To-Go (locally referred to as 'Qatar Airways My Q-Tag' service), Flight Rebooking, Self-Boarding, Baggage Recovery. & Document Check..
Connecting between North & South Stations:
Passenger trains started operations November 1, 2016. Each trip between the two North & two South stations takes 90 seconds, with a 44 second waiting time at each station. (Walking the same distance takes about nine minutes.)
- Departing passengers
now board the train from the South station (behind the iconic Lamp Bear), taking them toward the North station(near concourses D and E).
- Arriving passengers
board the train at the North station, taking them toward the transfer hall and arrivals immigration (near the South station).
Proceed directly to the Transfer hall; clear signs guide passengers to escalator down, leading to the central atrium of the departures area with A, B & C gates. (A large shower lounge is in the B gate area). Duty-free and other shops are plentyful and do not obstruct passengers' path to their gates. NOTE: If passenger's connecting flight departs within 45 minutes after arrival,
passenger needs to alert ground staff upon aircraft exit, then walk onto the aerobridge (or boarding the passenger bus); the ground staff will be speed you through to reach gate on time. This procedure also applies to all passengers of Al Maha , unaccompanied minors & to passengers with disabilities.
The new Airport Hotel & Vitality Spa
with 100 rooms - available for up to 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours - is located inside the passenger terminal - follow signs. For reservation e-mail: reservation @hiahotel.com.
The nearest information desk
can be contacted at +974 4010 6666.
The passenger terminal at Hamad Airport
has three levels with a central plaza, North & South Concourses A - E. Inside it is connected by automated people mover, escalators & elevators, as well as by the new pssenger trains (see 'Connecting between North & South Stations' above).
- The 'Smart Airport' program is integrating the latest technologies:
From check-in to boarding, the passenger journey will be self-service enabled - reducing waiting time and improving efficiency. Most of these technologies are already deployed.
- The passenger terminal offers an impressive selection of retail shops and restaurants.
Among the services currently available in the terminal are: free WiFi, pharmacy, ATM cash machines, currency exchange, kids play area, smoking room, prayer room, an Unacccompanied Minor's Lounge, and a Special Assistance Travellers' Lounge. The Vitality Wellbeing Fitness Center with swimming pool hydrotherapy tub, gym & squash courts can be contacted at tel. +974 4010 8204 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two Medical Centers are available
: one at Arrivals Hall (before passport control) - the other at Departures Hall (near check-in area. In an emergency call (+974) 4010 9222.
- Prayer Rooms
are available throughout the terminal include dedicated ablution facilities. Signs, and information desks will guide you to them. The public mosque
outside is within walking distance from the Departures Hall - recognized by is shape of a water droplet.
- The new dual passenger trains started operations Nov. 1, 2016 - transporting arriving and departing passengers passengers as outlined below:
- Arriving passengers now board the train at the North station, taking them toward the transfer hall and arrivals immigration (near the South station).
The Arrivals Ground Level
leads passengers to the excalators /eleators, where they find an Information point in the center, and beyond passport control and Customs leading to the baggage trolleys in the center, with baggage carousels A numbered 5 - 1(west) and B numbered 6 - 9 (east). Both at east & west carousels house an information counter. Passengers thereafter go once more through Customs check before entering and Arrivals Hall.
- The Arrivals Hall
in the pre-secured area offers two lounges and in front of the palm trees an information counter. with escalators leading to carprk & mosque at each side of the palm trees. The taxi stand exit is to the west and the bus stop exit is to the east. Exit in the center leads to carpark, rental cars & hotel reservation.
- Departing passengers now board the train from the South station (behind the iconic Lamp Bear), taking them toward the North station(near concourses D and E).
The Departures Level 1
connects in the center to the sky bridge leading to the parking garage; opposite of it is an Information counter. Moving walkways lead to level 2:
The Departures Level 2
- with main entrance Door 3 - houses at the entrance two Information counters, ticket offices & a few shops - with the check-in area in the center (divided into check-in areas 1 & 2 at at east end; 3 - 8 in the center, and 9 & 10 at west end. Just before passport check is a lounge, and after passport and security checks are elevators & escalators to the Concourses and their departure gates:
The large Shopping area
is surrounded by: Concourses A & B on either side
. The Y-shaped Concourse C to the north, splits later into D & E gates. Currently available are a food court, restaurants & cafe for every taste, and an abundance of duty-free brand-name merchandise - with more to come.
South & North Cocourses:
- South Concourse A with gates A1-A11. Duty-free Plaza South is between A & B concourses.
- South Concouse B with gates B1-B10 (on level
- North Concourse C with gates C1-C13 - and on level 0 gates C20-C29.
- North Concourse D with gates D1-D13*
- North Concourse E with gates E1-E4*
* The center between Concourse D (left) and Concourse E (right) connects by elevator, stairs & escalator to gates D20-D24 and E20-E24.
Level 0 connects by escalator to gates A, B, C1-C13, D & E. NOTE: In May 2016, Concourses D & E had been partially activated
(and the latest technology implemented) - while ongoing expansion work on both concourses will result in handling 60 percent of passenger traffic when completed, and increase the terminal to over 1 million sq.meters - with 61contact, and 14 remote gates, and an annual passenger capacity of 53 million.
Current Airport & Airline Lounges, and Baggage Delivery Service:
- The Al Jourjan Business Class Lounge on level 3 is for Qatar gold card
- The Oryx Lounge
for premium passengers & select cardholders, as well as for paying economy-class passengers, is located at post-security departure area.
- Al Maha Lounges
are available throughout the terminal offering premium services.
- First & Business-Class Lounges
on Concourse A, level 2, is for first-class ticketed passengers, select QR Privilege Club & OneWorld Alliance members.
- First & Business-Class Arrivals Lounges
for Qatar Airways passengers are located before & after immigration.
- OneWorld added priority baggage delivery
for Emerald & Sapphire cardholders, with additional checked bag allowance for Sapphire travelers.
NOTE: The multi-level Parking garage
is divided in the East & West carparks, - both of which connect to Departure level 2 of the passenger terminal.
Present & future Airport developments:
The Airport's current 5-year plan includes doubling the current size of the passenger terminal - adding new check-in facilities, lounges, restaurants & boarding gates, and a connector to the Doha Metro.
- Construction started on the 24 new gates (added to the current 22 'remote gates'), attached directly to the terminal - to be completed by 2017/18
The remainder of construction work is to be completed by 2020 - when the new airport will have a public mosque, two luxury hotels, a health spa, a large parking garage, three central utility plants, a huge catering facility, and internal automated people movers at both arrivals & departures levels.
- Qatar Airways is planning on a second terminal in the future.