Hongqiao Airport goes back to the original Shanghai airport, started over 80 years ago. As passenger traffic grew, a second airport was built - the Pudong Airport (40 km from Shanghai). The two airports mainly differ in that Pudong has taken over the bulk of the international flights, while Hongquiao, closer to the city, concentrated mostly on domestic flights. However, Hongqiao, after extensive renovation, has become one of the four busiest Airports in China and now also includes some international flights.
NOTE: both Hongqiao & Pudong can be reached by the same hotline: 96990
SHA Airport is located in Puxi, Changning District, and is 13 km west of downtown Shanghai, situated close to the China Sea. . The Airport is truly an integrated transport hub for shuttle and long-distance buses, the Metro, and connection to the Bullet train. Speedy accesss to/from the Airport is available via the expanded Metro train lines 2 & 10 (Line 10 serves both Terminals and interchanges with Line 2 at Terminal 2).
With two very long runways and an average of 33 million passengers per annum, Hongqiao International is hub for China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines & Spring Air, and is served by domestic, Korean & Japanese airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
- The 5-star Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Hotel - with 456 rooms & 12 conference rooms - offers access inside Terminal 2 - with check-in counter service & an exclusive security lane in the lobby, the process taking no more than 30 minutes.
- The newly transformed Mercure Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Hotel- with 224 rooms and a restaurant on level 1 - opened August 2016 - is located opposite of Terminal 1's entrance (tel. +86 (021) 6268-2266.
- The Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao is only 2 km from the Airport (tel. 021) 6237 6000. It also offers a fitness center & steakhouse.
Hongqiao International Airport has two passenger terminals - T1 & T2.
- China has granted a 72-hour 'visa-free transit' for nationals of over 50 countries, including the U.S.
- Same City - Same Price: Shanghai's chain stores and restaurants at both Pudong & Hongqia Airports pledged to to keep prices on par with those they charge in the City. Also, 20 international food chains & convenient stores agreed to this arrangement.
Present and future Airport developments:
- Renovation on Terminal 1 started year-end 2014. Upon completion in 2017, T1 will house a 2,000 sq.meter duty-free store for international passengers, and offer shower & changing rooms.
- The second phase of the Business Aviation Base (currently under construction at Hongqiao Airport and offering ground support and business aircraft maintenance with extended capacity) is to start operation in 2019.
- An 800-km rail network - with a rapid rail system to connect both Pudong & Hongqiao - is planned for 'the next decade'.
Puxi, Changning District, Shanghai, 200335
Phone: +86 (21) 3252 1090