New Delhi Indira Gandhi (DEL) Airport
New Delhi Indira Gandhi DEL Airport Overview
IGI is owned and operated by the GMR Group (which also owns & oprates Hyderaba Airport).
The Airport is located in South-West Delhi, 16 km from central New Delhi, a mega-city in the center of northern India, and is connected to the city by:
- the Northern Access Road, Central Spine and new tunnel between Terminals T1D & T3, and
- the Delhi Airport Metro Express train, a 22.7 km line running between New Delhi Station and the T3. (T3 has an 8-lane approach road and high-speed rail link to city center.)
With three very long runways and serving over estimated 39 million passengers a year, Indira Gandhi International Airport is hub to a number of airlines, including Air India, and is served by a host of domestic and international airlines, offering regular and low-cost, direct & connecting flights to all points of the globe. Currently flight destinations to the U.S. include EWR, JFK & ORD.
- As the Airport is still making improvements as part of its mega-overhaul project, it is important to note that many changes have, and will happen until completion. Therefore it is wise to check with your airline as to which terminal & gate you will arrive at or depart from.
- IGI Airport implemented measures to address fog-related flight diversions. It also has a plan in place on dealing with stranded passengers resulting from flight diversions.
- IGI Airport's aims for 95 percent of passengers at Terminal 3 to take 45 minutes between debarking & exiting the terminal.
- At Terminl 3, waiting time a customs, immigration or security check will mostly take 10 minutes only.
- In August 2016, the Delhi High Court held that DIAL Airport is authorized to charge Rs. 150 from commercial vehicles entering the T3 arrivals area to pick up passengers - intended to discourage overcrowding, touting or nuisance.
Rs 500 & Rs 1,000 currency notes are no longer accepted for payment at the Airport!
Hotels & resting facilities on and close to, Airport ground:
- At Terminal 3:
- Snooze cabins at international departure pier, opposite boarding gate 17.
- New Delhi Transit Hotel at level 5 is divided into International & Domestic Wings. However, both international & domestic arrivals transfering through T3 to their connecting flight may only access the Domestic Wing. Rooms include high-speed WiFi & LCD TV. Aqua Pods privide privateshower rooms, while the lobby level of both wings offer the 'T Lounge' with an all-day menu. Other amenities include a fitness center, spa, and 'E Point' with internet, computer & printer. For reservations open firstname.lastname@example.org or call +91-11-45252000.
- Close to all Terminals: The100-room Eaton Smart transit hotel is close to the terminals.
- At Hospitality District: five-star hotels Radisson & Centaur; and lower-priced 'Ibis Hotel', to open soon.
- Within 3km from Terminal 3, there are 11 new hotels with varied pricing & amenities available .
For resevations for the Plaza Premium Lounge open: http://www.newdelhiairport.in/plaza-premium-lounge.aspx
Indira Gandhi International Airport has two passenger terminals - domestic T1 & new international T3. It includes 78 boarding bridges, 168 check-in counters and 72 air carrier parking bays. (For detailed information turn to 'Terminl Maps' at this site.
CITY CHECK-IN: Air India passengers may now check in for both its domestic & international flights at the New Delhi Metro Station's 'Airport Express line' and getting their boarding pass. It also provides flight information, excess baggage handling and new ticketing counters. While check-in counters remain open 4am-11:30pm, the flight check-in facilities close two hours prior to each scheduled departure flight.