Kansas City International Airport MCI
serves its City and surrouding Platte County in the State of Missouri (a sharp bend in the Missouri River surrounds the Airport). Due to its mid-continent location, most U.S.Airports can be reached within a two- to three-hour flight. A freqent business flyer notes that MCI is his favored 'great little airport, easy to navigate'.
MCI Airport is about 15 miles from downtown Kansas City, accessible via Interstate Hwy I-29 (Exit 13 - its access road merges with a cirle road around the terminals and parking facilities).
MCI Airport has two runways, 11M passengers in 2016, and is served by major airlines offering numerous nonstop flights across the U.S. and to Toronto, Canada, with connections worldwide.
By May 3, 2017, Allegiant offers service to Destin/Ft.Walton Beach
Kansas City Airport currently has Terminals A, B & C.
Present and future Airport developments:
(a) Completed Projects by late October 2017:
- added electric outlets in public areas (including in new 700 seats with power in both TB & TC's public areas). United added 16 new outlet towers to their departure lounge (966 electical 110V and 32 USB).
- new LED lighting fixtures were installed at TB, while TC's installation followed. Also 88 Canopy LED lightin replace the 1,900 bulbs at TB & TC.
- The Cell Phone Lot relocation was completed late August 2016.
- wayfinding & Rental car signage
- Review & study of WiFi speed & coverage: Internet speed will be increased to 1GB.
- American Airlines checkpoint & gate area - to be complete by Spring 2017.
- modernizing international gate area
- adding interior lighting
- partnering with local museums (American Jazz & Negro Leagues Baseball)
- adding Cell phone lot
- installed 26 bi-directional interior signs for rental car shuttles
(b) Upcoming projects starting Nov. 2017:
- 2017-18: Airfield Pavement Rehab. for Taxi Way B;
- Installation of information kiosks at the terminals.
- modernization of Gate Area
- a Construction contract was signed in Sept. 2016 for a Facilities Shop Complex.
- and various 'Capital Projects', including runways.