Terminal Gate Connection
Connecting flight? Use this tool to help you get between terminals.
Walk Time: min
Shuttle Route min
Shuttle Time: min
Melbourne Airport ( MEL ) Terminal Map # Fast food, restaurants, stores, cafes, bars
The passenger terminal complex at Melbourne International Airport consists currently of five passenger terminals - domestic T1, T3 & T4, international T2, and new Budget T4. Only Terminals 2 & 3 are currently under one roof. A pedestrian walkway gets you from T1 within 1 - 5 mins to T2, T3 & old T4. New T4 is between T3 & old T4.
- If picking up a passenger at the Airport, you can either use the one of the one-minute pickup bays in th forecourt area (follow overhead signs at Arrivals Drive) - or you can use the 'Ring & Ride waiting zone' (cell phone waiting lot), located in a designated area within the long-term carpark; the first 20 minutes are free & an automated pay station is close by. (Enter through the two long-term carpark gates on Terminal Drive & Center Road.)
- Current access road changes at T4 apply until mid/ fall 2015: Tigerair passengers heading for T4 need to exit Tullamarine Freeway at Mercer Drive, then follow signs. A 1-minute pickup/dropoff area will be on Service Road South.
- All Regional Express Airline REX passengers arrive now at current T4 - but still depart from T3!
- SmartGate border control's ABC e-gates have been installed at: Melboune, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Cairns & Darwin. (Biometric cameras fitted to the eGates automatically adjust to the passenger’s height and innovative document feeder technology automatically positions the passport precisely on the reader eliminating any delays due to document misplacement or inadequacy of time for reading. During busy periods, each eGate is capable of processing up to 150 passengers an hour.)
- While the Airport is presently served by seven Chinese airlines, and by Latin America's LATAM (with flights from Chile's capital Santiago -, Qatar Airways will start service on its A380 aircraft to Doha starting June 30, 2017.
Domestic Terminal 1 has three levels & 2 Concourses, and is used for domestic flights of Qantas, Qantas Link :
The Ground Level of T1 (Arrivals): Inside are four baggage claim carousels. Outside is the bus stop for Skybus, disabled pick-up zone (15 mins) and T1 Taxi Rank.
The Mezzanine Level of T1 (Concourses & gates) houses Concourse 1(gates 1-12) for Qantas, with a Qantas service desk and shopping areas; and Concourse 2 (gates 21-30) for Jetstar, with an ATM machine and shopping area. Between the two Concourses is the Qantas Club.
The first level of T1 (Departures) has 3 check-in areas for Qantas: 2 for regular service (left) and one (to the right of the center for QantasPremium service. Jetstar check-in is all the way to the right , & shopping areas are right after Security screening in the center, leading to Concourses 1 & 2.
The left side of this level (near the First Aid counter), leads to Terminal 2, while the 1-minute dropoff, Bus Zone & 5-min parking areas are outside of this level.
Terminals 2 & 3 (see separately below) International T2 & Virgin Australia's T3 are under one roof - the main entry doors to the baggage/arrivals level are on either side of the offices & prayer room at the main entrances. Each side for T2 & T3 offers amenities & services, and across from them are the baggage claim areas:
- to the right are T3's baggage carousels 1,2,3 & an oversized one - located in the pre-security area;
- to the left is T2's secure area with baggage carousels 1 - 7 & baggage services. To get to T1's baggage claim you need to exit T2 & walk to the left to T1.
- The check-in area for T2 in the center - with check-in counters C/B G/F, L/K, M & N, Qantas check-in A, and (behind the Service Desk in the center) check-in counters D,E,H,J. Behind check-in counter J is security screening & customs, duty-free & other stores, leading to gates 2 - 11 & to gates 12-20 further down.
- The check-in area for T3 to the left with two rows of Virgin counters & one for Rex, and with access to domestic gates. (on opposite side (near 'Subway') is connection to T1 Qantas (domestic).
International Terminal 2 has two levels and is used for international flights by a multitude of international airlines. T2 has been under significant renovation & expansion, adding a new passenger concourse with two gates and dual-level aerobridges for the A380 aircraft, as well as a new large area to the passenger lounge to include duty-free & specialty shops and a cafe. T2 has floor-to-ceiling windows and offers maximum comfort and amenities.
The Ground Level of T2 (Arrivals) houses the Arrivals Hall, Information counter, baggage claim, customs check, Customs & Quarantine offices. Outside is the T2 Taxi Rank, disabled pickup zone (15 mins), the bus stop for V-Line, Metlink, and suburban & regional buses. A walkway leads to Premium Parking and the Parking Garage. The Arrivals area expansion project has now been completed.
The First Level of T2 (Departures) houses check-in rows B/C, F/G, K/L, (east to west) - past Check-in L (west side), you enter T3's Virgin & REX check-in facilities, with access to domestic gates; past check-in A (east side) is the connector to Terminal 1 for Qantas & Jetstar domestic flights). After T2 security check you enter the concourse with duty-free & other shops & amenities and access to gates 2-20.
Near Gate 7 is access to Lounges of Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, Malaysia, Qantas Business, Singapoe & United airlines.
Outside of this level you find special parking across from the main entrance (next to Virgin Blue checkin); and two one-minute drop-off zones on each side.
Domestic Terminal 3 of MEL serves domestic flights of Virgin Australia. T3 has three levels:
The Ground Level of T3 (Baggage Reclaim) houses the Arrivals Hall with an Information desk, customs, baggage caroussels. Outside is disabled pick-up zone (15 mins); bus stops for V-Line, Metlink & suburban & regional buses.
The first level of T3 (Departures) houses check-in desks for Virgin Australia, with a large Virgin lounge, separate security screening leading to T3's Mezzanine Level with east Concourse gates 1-10 and west Concourse gates 11-19. Some services & amenities are available on this level & in concourses. (Outside is disabled parking for 5 mins and a 1-minute drop-off zone).
NOTE: Renovation work has begun to update and enhance Terminal 3.
New DomesticTerminal 4 (south of T3) with two levels: After a 2-year first-stage construction, new Terminal 4 officially opened Aug. 18, 2016 'as a completely self-service check-in operation'. It has currently 10 self-service check-in kiosks and automated baggage drops on the ground level, while a number of retailers opened on level 1's departure lounge. T4's drop-off /pick-up zone moved to the new transport hub (with carpark, drop-off & pick-up zones, taxi rank & bus interchange). In the coming months, over 30 stores will open, along with food & drink concessions. Tiger Air has already moved in (while its facility are being refurbished), and Jetstar & Regional Express will follow in afew months.
Level 1's departure lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows and great airfield views offers 1,200 seats, with a nice selection of food & drink and retail concessions, as well as a pharmacy 'tech2go' and 'Quickfix'.. After check-in & security screening, passenger may relax in the departure lounge.
Upon T4's completion, it will is to be under one roof with the other terminals.
Services and amenities inside the terminals include shops, duty-free shops, food & drink establishments, currency exchange, ATM machines, wireless internet access, showers, first-aid stations, and a golf club.
Airline Lounges at Melbourne Airport:
Cathay Pacific - T2, level 1;
Air New Zealand & United - T2, level 1;
Emirates Lounge - T2, after customs take escalator to level 3.
Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge - T2, level 1;
Qantas Club - T1, level 1; and T2, level 1;
REX Lounge - T3, ground level;
Singapore's Silver Kris Lounge - T2, level 1;
United Airlines - T2/T3, nar gate 7;
Virgin Blue - T3, Mezzanine.
NOTE: The new multi-level transport hub with dedicated dropoff/ pickup zones, bus interchange, taxi rank and 2,800 parking spaces, can be reached by short walkway from T4.