Metropolitan Oakland (OAK) Airport
Metropolitan Oakland OAK Airport Overview
OAK Airport is only 4.6 miles south of the business district of Oakland, a city in Alameda County, and is accessible via Interstate Highway 880 north & south (exit at 98th Ave to OAK; north traffic must turn left at stoplight; south traffic must turn right at stoplight; then continue straight on to Airport Drive. (Use right lanes for T1, left lanes for T2 for passenger pickup/ dropoff). Nearing the airport, tune into TIPS Radio 1700AM for current airport traffic, parking availability and security information.
With four runways and a passenger count of over 12 million in 2016, Oakland International Airport is served by various regular and low-cost airlines offering numerous direct and connecting flights throughout the country, with connections to all points of the globe.
Hawaii is now a key market for Oakland International, and flights are offered to Maui (OGG), Hawaii (KOA), Kauai (LIH), and Oahu (HNL).
The new 2017 nonstop air service starts with:
- Southwest Airlines' flights to both Puerto Vallarta & Los Cabos on Feb. 12;
- Norwegian Airlines to Copenhagen on March 27;
- British Airways to London-Gatwick on March 28;
- Spirit to Baltimore and Deroit on May 25;
- Southwest to Newark /New York on June 4;
-Norwegian to Barcelona on June 7.
Oakland International Airport has two passenger terminals - T1 & T2. Note that OAK offers Global Entry (members are also eligible in TSAPre-Check for expedited screening.
NOTE: The OAK BART station in front of the terminal buildings replaced the Air BART Bus. Passengers will be traveling on the 3.2 mile elevated guideway between Coliseum BART station & Oakland Airport - with direct connections to Powell Street in San Francisco & to Fremont ). The trip will take just 8.5 minutes, while total travel time is to take 12-14 minutes (including the walk from BART Coliseum Station to OAC platform, & from OAC to the passenger terminals). BART trains offer seamless single-ticket connections to all of its 45 stations throughout the SF Bay Area. Trains depart weekdays every 5 minutes during peak hours. For fare information open the BART website at: art.gov/tickets/calculator.
Robot ‘Pepper’ will greet and mingle with passengers at the Pyramid Ale Taproom in Terminal 2 (T2), offering assistance, directions, and menu recommendations. Through Pepper’s display on his screen, the robot can find passenger’s gates, restrooms and other amenities.
Current and future Airport developments: The $24M renovation project involves the following work:
- Ongoing Work at Terminal 1 until May 2017 involves seismic retrofit (exterior compled); thereafter, work started at interior seismic work (installing interior beams & bracing on level 2 & Mezzanine above security checkpoint). Also, the security checkpoint lobby will be upgraded. Baggage carousel and baggage conveyance will re replaced. The passenger boarding bridge, aircraft parking and haxi lane will be modified.
The International Arrivals Building is scheduled to open 2017.
OAK AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
OAK Delays: 15 mins or less.