Philadelphia PHL Airport Overview
Philadelphia International Airport PHL is a major Airport on the East Coast of and ranks very high among large U.S. airports in customer satisfaction. It was recently named 'Airport with Best Concession Management Team'.
The Airport is located 7.2 miles southwest of central Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and is accessible via Interstates Hwys. 95 (Delaware Expwy) & I-76, PA 291 & 611, and from both the PA & NJ Turnpikes. The Airport, bordering to the south on the Delaware River, is served by the Airport High-Speed Rail Line stopping at Eastwick Station, University City, 38th Street Station, Penn Center Suburban Station and Market East Station.
With four runways and an estimated 30.3 million passengers in 2012, Philadelphia International Airport is a major international and domestic hub for US Airways, and is served by major U.S. airlines offering domestic and international nonstop and connecting flights to desinations around the world. While low-cost Spirit Airlines has added a number of destinations recently, JetBlue Airline offers 5 daily nonstop flights to Boston Logan Airport as of May 23, 2013.
On-Airport Hotels at PHL Airport: The Airport Marriott, next to Parking Garage B (215-492-9000), and the Aloft Hotel on Island Avenue (267-298-1700).
The current passenger terminal complex at Philadelphia International Airport includes seven terminals - A-West, A-East, B, C, D, E & F (Terminals B & C and D & E are connected), with access to corresponding garages. (For more information please refer to 'Terminal Maps' page.)
Parking options at Philadelphia International include a cell phone lot, Garages A West & A East, Garages B through F and the Economy Parking lot with free shuttle services. (For more information please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental car counters for major agencies are located in the baggage claim areas of each terminal. For special hand-controlled vehicles, prior notice of 72 hours in advance is necessary.
To get from Philadelphia Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi or limo, door-to-door & hotel shuttles, or the train: Note that the ground ransportation information desk is in the baggage claim area.
1. The taxi rank is at Zone 5. All taxis charge per trip for up to three passengers. There is a flat rate into Phildelphia, which includes Fairmount Av. at northern-most point; South Street at southern-most point, Delaware River at eastern-most point and University City & 38th St. at western-most point. A $10 minimum fare to any destination applies.
2. Sedan or Limo services are at Zone 6, while shared Ride Vans are available at Zone 7.
3. The SEPTA rail on the R1 Airport Line connects the Airport's Terminals A-East, B, C, D & E. to the City and makes stops at the following stations: East Wick, 38th Street, Penn Center Suburban, Market East.
4. SEPTA buses 37 & 108 also offer service to Downtown Philadelphia, with stops along the way.
For SEPTA 'general information' call 215-580-7800; for SEPTA 'CCT Connect' call 215-580-7700 - or visit SEPTA at septa.org.
For transportation information other than for SEPTA call the Ground Transportation hotline at 215-937-6958.
Future Airport Developments:
1. The Terminal D-E Expansion Project - scheduled for completion September 2013 has already completed most of Phases 1A, 1B, 2 & 3, which included construction of the multi-level connector building: Level 1 is to have a new baggage area with in-line baggage screening system; level 2 will house a 14-lane security screening area for both terminals; level 3 will house airline offices; 23 new ticket counters & new concessions are added, and D & E baggage claims expanded. The E concourse will be expanded by adding a 2-level addition at its end for airline operations, hold rooms, concessions & 3 new gates.
2. Terminal F Expansion will be the last phase of construction, scheduled to be completed in Fall 2015.
Philadelphia PHL Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- PHL Baggage Carts / Skycap
- PHL Baggage Claim
- PHL Banking / ATM Services
- PHL Business Services
- PHL Currency Exchange
- PHL Emergency / Medical Services
- PHL Guest Services
- PHL Internet Access
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Philadelphia PHL Airport Update History
- Updated PHL Airports page - May 13, 2013
- Updated PHL Food & Stores page - May 13, 2013
- Updated PHL Airlines Served page - May 10, 2013
- Updated PHL Official Website Links page - May 10, 2013
- Updated PHL Parking Map page - Apr 22, 2013
- Updated PHL Main Terminals page - Apr 13, 2013
- Updated PHL Airport Intro page - Apr 13, 2013
- Updated PHL Direct Flights page - Mar 20, 2013
- Updated PHL Terminal Map page - Mar 14, 2013
- Updated PHL Parking On site page - Dec 26, 2012