Philadelphia International Airport PHL
serves the State of Pennsylvania and is a major Airport on the East Coast, ranking very high among large U.S. airports in customer satisfaction. It was recently named 'Airport with Best Concession Management Team'.
PHL Airport is about 7 miles southwest of central Philadelphia, accessible via Interstate Highways 95 (Delaware Expwy) & 76; PA 291 & 611, and the PA & NJ Turnpikes. The Airport, bordering to the south on the Delaware River, is served by the Airport High-Speed Rail Line
stopping at Eastwick Station, University City, 38th Street Station, Penn Center Suburban Station and Market East Station.
With four runways and serving around 30.2M passengers in 2016, Philadelphia International Airport is served by major airlines offering nonstop and connecting flights to desinations around the world.
- Frontier Airlines
started flights to Cuba in December 2016 with 4 weekly flights to Camaguey; 3 weekly flights to Santa Clara, and Saturday flights to Matanzas.
- Frontier starts San Juan SJU (Puerto Rico) year-round service service in June.
starts services May 30, 217 to KEF Keflavik Airport ( near the City of Rykjavik), with 4 weekly nonstop flights.
will offer daily San Francisco SFO flights by Aug. 2017, with a red-eye departure at 20:35pm on Aug. 31, arriving at PHL at 7am. From PHal to SFO 8:15am on Sept. 1; ariving at SFO at 11:25am. (Alaska currently also offers daily services to Seattle) Alaska will start seasonal Portland PDX service in May 2017.
- Alaska also start service Sept. 1 to Los Angeles LAX - operated by Virgin America
(departing red-eye flight at 6:30am; returnint to PHL Sept. 2 at 9:26).
On-Airport Hotels at PHL Airport:
- the Airport Marriott, next to Parking Garage B (tel. 215-492-9000); and
- the Aloft Hotel on Island Avenue (tel. 267-298-1700).
Philadelphia International Airport has seven terminals - A-West, A-East, B, C, D, E & F
(Terminals B & C and D & E are connected), with access to corresponding garages.
It is strongly advisable to arrive at the Airport 2 hours prior to domestic, and 3 hours prior to international scheduled flights.
PHL Airport has been working with the TSA & airlines to ease wait times at TSA checkpoint lanes during the busy summer months. PHL checkpoint hours: A-West: 5:15am; B: open 24/7; C: 4:15am; D/E: 3/45am; F: 4:15am.
- Airlines hired extra staff to assist passengers at checkpoints.
- Frequent flyers should take advantage of TSA Pre-check, expediting the screening process in a separate lane (annual fee: $85).
- Pre-check passengers may request expedited screening if C lane is closed. Also, as pre-check is unavailable at F, lane D/E may be used.
- The downloadable 'MY TSA mobile application' on iOS & Android devices is available from the www.tsa.gov/mobile site and from iTunes & Google Play.
Post-Security animal relief areas are now available at:
- TA-West, near gate A16; & TA-East near gate A1 shuttle bus stop;
- TB at B 30 of the AB-Link;
- TC & TD at respective C & D ends of the CD-Link
- at gate E1, and at TF past checkpoint, at elevator/escalator lobby.
Present and Future Airport Developments:
Replacement of a 13-kV underground electric cable has been completed - installing 5 miles of new cable and and 15 new manholes. The terminal Refurbishment a checked baggage system at TD /TE became operational and ticket counters with larger queuing spaces were added,
The Airport is to be refurbished 'over the next several years':
- Long-term improvements:
The Airport itself will be expanded - using largely undeveloped parcels of land - to be completed in phases over a 12-15 year span
. Within this time period the following improvements are to be made: extension of runway, taxiway, designing new APM (automated people mover); construction of consolidated rental car facility, redesign of Terminal B/C for new ticketing, baggage & security screening; and many airport rehab infrastructure projects (roof, window, & escalator replacements, new restrooms & security upgrades).