Tucson International Airport TUS - also referred to as 'TIA'
is Arizona State's second-largest airport and serves Pimas County and the city of Tucson. It is noted for having reliable on-time services and for its outstanding permanent collection of original art work done by noted artists from the surrounding counties and from northern Sonora, Mexico.
TIA Airport is in South Tucson - only six miles from Tucson's central business district - and situated in a high desert valley surrounded by mountains. It is 110 miles south of metropolitan Phoenix, and 60 miles north of the Mexican border. TIA is accessible from the South via Interstate Hwy. I-19 and from the Northwest via I-10.
With three runways, and an estimated 3.3 million passengers annually, Tuscon International Airport is an economical alternative to Sky Harbor Airport. Several major and low-cost airlines currently serve the airport, providing nonstop service to major US cities with convenient connections from there. All-year services are offered by Alaska Airlines to Portland, Oregon.
The 'Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center'
inside the Airport provides expedited clearances at Ports of Entry for pre-approved lowprisk international travelers; this includes Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS & FAST, and TSA Pre-check. For more information open: cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs .
NOTE: Peak hours at TUS are the morning hours unil 10am. and 11am-1pm. During this time, passengers should arrive at the Airport 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Airlines serving Tucson International:
- Aeromar VW, tel. 844-237-6629, to Hermosillo and continuing directly to Los Mochis, Mazatlan & Guadalajara.
- Alaska AS, tel. 800-426-03333, to Portland OR, and Seattle
- American AA, tel. 800-4333-7300, with curbside check-in; to Chicago ORD, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, New York JFK & Phoenix.
- Delta DL, tel. 800-221-1212, to Atlanta, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City & Seattle.
- Southwest WN, tel. 800-435-9792, with curbside baggae check-in; to Chicago Midway, Denver, Houston Hobby (seasonal), Las Vegas Los Angeles, Oakland (seasonal) and San Diego.
- United UA, tel. 800-864-8331, to Chicago O'Hare, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles & San Francisco.
Tucson International has a three-level passenger terminal.
Present & future Airport developments: The 'Brighter TUS' project
- a multi-phase terminal improvement project was approved for the Airport's expansion, whereby under-utilized space will be redeveloped in ticket lobbies & security checkpoints - creating expanded security (with new technology) and commercial areas (new retail stores, food & drink outlets, business center, children's play areas). Ground work started June 2016 - while the project is to be completed by November 2017.