Beijing Capital (PEK) Airport
Beijing Capital PEK Airport Overview
The BCIA hotline number is 96158.
BCIA is located in an enclave of Chaoyang District - 32 km northeast of Beijing - accessible by (a) the Airport Expressway, a 20-km toll road leading straight to Terminals 1 & 2; (b) the 2d Airport Expressway toll road leading directly to Terminal 3.
With over 83 million passengers annually, and three very long runways, Beijing Capital International Airport is hub for Air China, China Southern, China Easern, Hainan, Shanghai & Shenzhen airlines, and is served by a host of domestic and foreign airlines offering numerous direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
BCIAl has three passenger terminals - T1, T2 & T3--the'Dragon Terminal'. Each of the terminals has its own parking garage with large & small-car parking facilities.
- While China has granted a 72-hour 'visa-free transit' for nationals of over 50 countries, including the U.S., it is strongly suggested to read the details outlined at 'Airways News' of March 18, 2015, see: http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/03/18/how-chinas-50-country-12-city-visa-free-transit-works/
- Tax Refunds: Overseas tourists may claim a tax refund for eligible purchases at designated tax refund shops.
- The latest customer reviews of May & June 2016 pointed at long and slow security lines - one passenger summed it up this way: " As an international transit hub, PEK fails for the simple reason that transfers and departures can take too long, much longer than its regional rivals. Airfares though China may be cheaper, but if one puts a value on ones own comfort, and time, then PEK is an expensive proposition".
Future Airport Developments:
1. A fourth runway at the current Airport will be under construction - scheduled to open 2018 - intended for arriving aircraft only - relieving the 3 runways handling currently around 1,600 flights per day. Upon completion of runway 4, the current Airport will be able to handle another 8 million passengers annually.
2. The new $14B Beijing-Daxing Airport (a second Beijing airport - not a replacement) - with 7 runways, and a capacity of 100M passengers annually - is is under construction - located between Beijing's Daxing district & Hebei Province (north of Yongding River & 46 km south of Tiananmen Square):
The star-shaped terminal complex with 7 'arms' (concourses) surrounding its core is tentatively planned to accommodate SkyTeam member airlines. It is to hold initially 45M passengers annually, and be adaptable to operate in several different configurations as requirements dictate. It will also house an integrated multi-modal transport center linking it to local & national rail services (including the Gaotie high-speed rail.) Its first phase of construction is to accommodate 72M passengers and have 4 runways, supporting buildings & facilities, and a passenger terminal covering an area of 700,000 sq.meters - scheduled to be completed by 2019.
Upon Daxing Airport's completion, both airports (Capital & Daxing) will be able to accommodate about the same amount of passengers. Furthermore a third Airport (Beijing Nanyuan) is to be built at the former military field.