Rochester ROC Airport Overview
Greater Rochester International Airport ROC is located four miles southwest of the city of Rochester, in Monroe County, New York, 12 miles south of Lake Ontario bordering on Canada. It is accessible via Interstate Hwy. 390 to Exit 18 (Brooks Av. West), or from I-90, Exit 46 (ROC) north on I-390 to Exit 18. Noteworthy is that the AAAE has recently awarded ROC Airport an aaward in recognition of 'outstanding performance in show and ice control', and that the Airport is now among national leaders for more affordable airfares, ranking it as 'One of the Nation's Most Affordable Airport'.
With three runways and an estimated 2.5 million passengers a year, the airport is served by major airlines and regional jet services offering nonstop flights to most hub airports in the eastern United States & Canada, with connections worldwide.
It is anticipated that the merger of United-Continental may deny Rochester travelers an uncongested alternative to O'Hare Airport; however the upcoming merger of Southwest-AirTran, expected to be completed by mid-2011, will offer Rochester Airport access to more destinations, particuarly to Chicago-Midway, a low-fare airport.
The Fairfield Inn by Marriott Rochester Airport (1-866-237-5979 or 529-5000) is within walking distance of the passenger terminal, offering a 'Park & Fly' package.
The passenger terminal at Greater Rochester International has ticketing and boarding gates on the upper level and baggage claim and rental cars on the lower level. To improve the flow of passengers in the terminal, the airport constructed a centralized security checkpoint to replace the checkpoints at each concourse entrance.
Among its services and amenities are: free internet access throughout the terminal, an information center, ATM, restaurants, bars and lounges, shops, checkpoint mailers, mail facilities, TTY & ITY phones; interfaith chapel, shoe-shine service, a conference room for 20 people with kitchenette and equipment, and the Frontier Business Hub with private work stations with data ports, telephone and free internet access.
Of interest is the terminal's art collection showcasing regional artists. One eye-catching piece is the Brass Tree by local artist, J. Pat Bucey. It is a nine-foot tall tree made of brass and adorned with over five thousand shimmering brass leaves.
If you need to pick up a passenger at ROC Airport, you can either park your car in the free Cell Phone Lot located inside the Weekly Parking Lot (facing the 'on-Airport' lot across the street) by staying with your car until your party has collected luggage and called you for pick-up at the curb; OR you can take advantage of the 30-minute grace period in the Short-Term Lot and meet your party inside the terminal.
Other parking options at Greater Rochester International Airport include:
1. For covered long-term parking use the most recently extended Parking Garage across the terminal.
2. Valet service: drop off your car and keys at the valet station on the upper level roadway and upon your return the car will be at the valet station on the lower level, just outside the baggage area.
3. For your short-term needs, use the Short-Term Parking Lot.
4. For longer stays there are two weekly parking lots and an on-airport shuttle lot.
5. Economy parking is available at three lots situated on Buell Road.
6. The Fairfield Inn Marriott Rochester Airport is within walking distance of the passenger terminal and offers a 'Park & Fly' package.
A Zoom Lane and Autopay machines accepting cash, credit and debit cards, get you out of the airport in a flash.
To get to/from ROC Airport to your destination, you can rent a car (rental car counters for 6 major agencies are in the baggage claim area), take a taxi (585-235-3333) or limo, or a bus:
1. Courtesy phones for hotel shuttle vans are available on the lower level, at the east & west end of the terminal.
2. The Rochester shuttle express or the 'Around Town Shuttle Service' shared rides.
3. The RTS bus runs throughout the day and its bus shelter is on the lower level roadway, at the east end of the Airport; schedules are available at the Visitors Information booth or call 585-288-1700.
4. Greyhound Bus and Amtrak station are located in Rochester.
Rochester ROC Airport Update History
- ROC Airports - Oct 28, 2013
- ROC Airlines Served - Jun 22, 2013
- ROC Official Website Links - Jun 22, 2013