Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL) Airport
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport Overview
In June 2016 the Air Transport Research Society ATRS awarded Atlanta Airport (among airports of its size) the 'Global Efficiency Excellence Award for the 13th year in a row! JD Power ranked ATL as number 8 in customer satisfaction; and late 2015, ATL became the first U.S. airport to earn the ISO 50001:2001accreditation on sustainability..
ATL Airport is a few miles south of the Atlanta's business district, accessible directly from Camp Creek Pkwy., and indirectly from I-285, exit 2; To get to the Domestic Terminal (on I-85/75 southbound through downtown Atlanta), use exit 242 ; to get to the International Terminal use and I-75, exit 239.
ATL is also directly accessible via the MARTA's Red/Gold rail line.
NOTE: With the opening of intersection Riverdale Rd./ Airport Blvd., a new span of roadway now connects Terminal Pkwy to the southern end of Airport Blvd, with access point from Riverdale Rd at the existing signal-controlled intersection (the location of the monument sign). Drivers on Riverdale Rd. coming from I-85 will get plenty of notice before approaching Airport entrance.
Entrances to the Airport from I-85 south at Exit 72, I-85 north at Exit 71, Loop Rd and Camp Creek Pkwy will remain the same.
With five runways and estimated 96 million passengers annually*, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport is primary hub for Delta Air Lines, and is served by countless U.S. & foreign airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. *By year-end2015 - the passenger count reached 101.5M!
The Customer Service can be reached at: 1-800-897-1910 / fax 1-404-530-7384.
- To prevent the spread of the Zika virus, the Department of Public Health (DPH) requested ATL's concessionaires to stock up on EPA-registered insect repellent
- As security checkpoint lines at times are very long, it is recommended that on busy days (morning hours & holidays) passengers arrive at the airport more than two hours (and at peak travel times 2.5 hrs) ahead of international flight departure, and 90 minutes before domestic departures. P.S.: During July 2016 average daily wait times at security checkpoints have decreased to 20 minutes. (TSA added canine teams, reworked staffing schedules and increased their levels.
- Eligible passengers may download the MPC (Mobile Passport Control) app, which can be downloaded free from Apple APP or Google Play Stores, or over the Airport's free WiFi system.
- While Southwest ticket counters are in Terminal North (part of the Domestic Terminal), it operates out of Concourse C.
- Ongoing construction up to late July 2016 is at the West Crossover ( the escalator corridor connecting the Plane Train system with the baggage claim areas). During this time, arriving passengers exit the Plane Train at Concourse T, then move to the baggage claim area along the revised route.
- The 'Spirit of Atlanta' Video screen will be replaced by passenger information, while the its mural will display digitally on video screen.
Atlanta International Airport has two Main Terminals: The Domestic Terminal (TD) and the International Maynard Jackson Terminal (TI or IT).
Current and future Airport developments:
- Domestic Terminal renovation project - currently in the contractor bidding stage - involves its atrium - to be transformed into a 'park-like setting'. A canopy will be added to cover the curbside area during construction. Gate areas on the Concourses will be upgraded - including adding charging outlets at seats. A switchback queuing expansion should end long lines at checkpoint security. Completion is aimed for year-end 2017.
- Work started in June 2016 on Atlanta Airport's new $6B, 20-year capital improvement program which is to include: terminal upgrades (2016-2018), passenger transit facilities (2016-2027), Concourse T expansion (2016-2021), new Concourse G (by 2023), Concourse D extension (2019-2025), as well as a sixth runway, cargo structure, and a 4-star 400-room hotel with a travel plaza; and a cargo building.
The first projects are scheduled to be completed late July/ early August 2016, and include modernizing the West Crossover, the escalator corridor connecting the Plane Train with the baggage claim areas.
- An onsite 'Green Acres Energy Park is to repurpose/ reprocess /recycle up to 90 percent of the Airport's solid waste.
- A 22-passenger electric shuttle bus is to operate continuously 14 hours/day - rechargeable by means of a conductive charging station.
6000 N Terminal Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30320
- Website for Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta: http://www.atlanta-airport.com
- Contact: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/contactus.aspx?to=cs
- Phone: (404) 530 7300 / fax 7374 or (800) 897-1910
ATL AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
ATL Delays: 15 mins or less.