Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport
Shanghai Pudong PVG Airport Overview
Shanghai Pudong International Airport PVG is China's third-busiest airport and a major aviation hub in Asia, especially in the East Asian region. It was completed in 1999 to relieve the congestion at Honqiao International Airport, which is 40 km away. The intention was to divert all international flights to Pudong Airport, however, in the course of the following years Honqiao obtained a few of its own international services. China Eastern now owns 38 percent of Pudong (and 50% of Honqiao) airports. A recent passenger survey voted Pudong as 'Best Airport on the Chinese Mainland'.
The Airport is located in the eastern corner of Pudong New Disrict (within Shanghai city limits) and is 30 km from the city center of Shanghai, southern China. Pudong Airport occupies 40 square km, adjacent to the coast line of the East China Sea. Yingbin Road which runs through the Airport, and Fareast Road located at the Airport's west side, together link to Shanghai's outer & inner roads.
The outer ring road connects Pudong Airport to Hong Qiao Airport (a 1-hour drive), while the inner ring road leads to the People's Square at Shanghai City Center. The Shanghai Maglev High-Speed Train takes passengers from the passenger terminals to downtown Pudong in a mere 7.5 minutes.
With four long runways and an estimated 78.7 million passengers in 2012, Shanghai Pudong Airport is the main hub for China Eastern and Shanghai airlines, and a major international hub for Air China. The Airport is served by a host of domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE: 1. The Airport has recently launched its Sky Priority.
2. The Hotline for both Pudong & Hongqiao airports is 96990.
On-Airport Hotels include: (a) The Ramada Pudong Airport Shanghai Hotel (tel. 021 3849 4949), which offers various conference facilities; (b) the JinjiangInn Pudong Airport Hotel (tel. 021 6835 3568), which offers business facilities and meeting rooms.; and (c) a Transit Hotel available at an hourly basis in the Domestic Arrivals Hall of T2 (for reservation call 021-68346480 for domestic service or 021-68346490 for international service).
The passenger terminal complex at Shanghai Pudong Airport includes two terminals - T1 and T2. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at Shanghai Pudong Airport: (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
To get from Pudong Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi (to Shanghai center it costs about CNY 150 and takes 50 minutes), a bus (over 10 bus lines take you to the city center), or you can take the Subway or the Maglev train:
1. Subway line 2 connects Pudong Airport and Hongqiao Airport - a long stretch. Passengers need to change at Guanglan Road Station to another metro train to proceed onwards. The trip costs CNY 9. Connecting Airport to Airport takes one hour.
2. The Shanghai Maglev Train Station is located between the two passenger terminals, providing the world's first commercial high-speed Maglev service to downtown Pudong in 7 minutes, 20 seconds.
3. Shanghai's Metro rail network system, is now the longest in the world, with 420 route-kilometers, 11 lines and 282 stations. A new 26.8 km, 8-station, eastern extension of its Line 2 from Juanlan [or Guanglan] Road to Pudong International Airport recently opened; At Guanglan Road, cross the platform changing trains for onward travel . While fares are lower than those on the Maglev Train, the Metro rail is loser.
4. Aiport Bus 1 runs between the Airports of Pudong and Hong Qiao, taking 30-40 minutes. Count on five hours for safe transfer between the two airports.
5. Airport Bus X offers various area destinations.
6. Other bus routes serve the City Air Terminal, close to Jingan temple, the Galaxy Hotel, Hongkou Stadium, Zhonghan Park, Lingang Xin Cheng & Shanghai South Railrway Station.
Future Airport Developments:
1. Terminal 1 renovation & extension work are to end 2014; 2 new runways are under construction & should be completed by 2014, when the new Jumbo Jet C919 will go into operation.
2. The current masterplan calls for a third passenger terminal and a huge satellite concourse, all to be completed by 2015.
Shanghai Pudong PVG Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- PVG Banking / ATM Services
- PVG Currency Exchange
- PVG Guest Services
- PVG Internet Access
- PVG Lost & Found
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Shanghai Pudong PVG Airport Update History
- Updated PVG Airports page - Apr 14, 2013
- Updated PVG Banking ATM page - Apr 14, 2013
- Updated PVG Currency Exchange page - Apr 14, 2013
- Updated PVG Main Terminals page - Apr 14, 2013
- Updated PVG Official Website Links page - Apr 14, 2013
- Updated PVG Airport Intro page - Apr 13, 2013
- Updated PVG Lost Found page - Apr 13, 2013
- Updated PVG Direct Flights page - Feb 6, 2013