Airlines and Baggage | iFlyer Forum

Airport Guide

iFlyer Forum Home

Questions, comments and tips about airlines or baggage. Share your Airport experiences with others, or post a question and get notified when there is a response.

Discussion Topics
Last Post

  • check in luggage
    Mar 30, 2014
    how early can a person check in luggage


    The same day as departure.


    Also, the time of that day will depend on the airline. (for example the Lufthansa check-in desk doesn't open until the afternoon, however, most others should be open fairly early in the morning).


  • Transferring Baggage
    Mar 24, 2014
    I will be traveling to Rome from MIami and connecting with a flight to Tel Avi, do I have to transfer my luggage, will I be using terminal 3 for arrival and departure?


  • LAX to JFK to CDG to JED:
    Mar 19, 2014
    I am getting on Virgin America flight at LAX then landing in JFK T4 at 7pm. I have 75mins to go to baggage claim (because there is no partnership with Virgin America and AirFrance), re-check bags, go through security, and get on my 8:15pm CDG flight in T1- is this enough time to do all this or will I miss my flight? Will it be easier to travel without baggage? How long does it take to go from T4 to T1?


    You will probably miss the baggage cutoff for Air France. You probably should not have booked that flight. You could make it if you travel without baggage and your Virgin America flight is on-time. It will take about 15-20 mins to get from T4 to T1.


    So if my baggage gets left behind will it be sent on a different flight to reach my destination?


    No, since it hasn't been checked at that point with Air France, it will be thrown out.


    How long does it take to go through immigration at JFK airport?


  • Contacts (eye) and flying
    Mar 5, 2014
    Where would you place your contacts? I'm trying to go with only carry on luggage. I will empty my contact case out and pack the saline in the 3-1-1 but where do I place my extra contacts? I always travel with extra. They are sealed in the box that they come in.


    You can put them anywhere, just leave them in the packaging.


  • Shanghai luggage transfer United to Thai November 21 2013
    Feb 9, 2014
    Baggage checked Detroit to bangkok via Chicago thenShanghai. Three hour layover in Shanghai as we are boarding the Thai flight they pull us aside and recheck our passports and said in Shanghai they do not transfer luggage between United and Thai. The luggage is on the carousel. The ignorant local Thai staff said we can get off the plane spend the night and call United and maybe get another flight the next day. We boarded and left our luggage in Shanghai. The wonderful chief pursur on the Thai flight Pattana C. #14398 looked at our baggage tags and said everything was perfect. He contacted bangkok office while we were flying and had the luggage sent to Bangkok. He had never heard of such a problem. Is there some new procedure for Star Alliance bagge transfer in Shanghai?. Also if you are just connecting in Shanghai you have to fill out all the paperwork and then go thru the special transit line and then go back thru immigration and security everything the same as if you were staying but no visa. Too much hassle for just a transit. I hope this message can be read by Thai airlines and United air. Once again thank you chief pursur Pattana.


    Airports and officials in mainland China have struggled in their role to become international transit hubs. Glad they eventually got things worked out.


  • cancelled flight
    Feb 3, 2014
    Is flight 3719, departing 1:34 out of ILM to PHL cancelled, Mon, Feb 3?


    It is currently scheduled to operate. The PHL-ILM segment of that flight has cancelled, and normally that would result in cancellation of the ILM-PHL segment. However, the same type of aircraft cancelled last night on an ILM-CLT flight, so that airplane may be operating 3719 ILM-PHL today. Be sure to keep an eye on


  • Baggage transfer from Air India (T 5) to Delta (T 2) at ORD
    Feb 2, 2014
    Hi, I will be reaching Terminal 5 on Air India and then need to fly on Delta out of Terminal 2. All are booked through one ticket. So the luggage will be checked to my final destination ATL. My question is whether I can drop off my luggage with Delta in T5 at ORD after clearing customs or do I have to take them from T5 to T2. The airport train system doesn't allow carts.


    The re-check counter at T5 should be able to take your bags if they are tagged through to ATL.


  • Wednesday cancellations
    Jan 29, 2014
    Are flights from Phila to ILM cancelled today? Specifically 3719 arriving at 1:30?


    US Airways 3719 is cancelled. US Airways 4063 that leaves PHL at 9:30 PM and arrives in ILM at 10:50 PM is still scheduled to operate at this time. Check official flight status at


  • short connection
    Jan 28, 2014
    Hi, I'm flying from MTY to LAX with a 1h 5 min stop in Houston. I'm flying with UA all the way, arriving and leaving from IAH. Do I have to go through customs and recheck my luggage ect...? In that case is that connection time possible?


    Yes, in Houston you will have to go through US Immigration, claim your baggage, clear customs and re-check your baggage, then go to the departure level and go through security and to your gate. 1 hr 5 minutes probably isn't enough time to do all that. Did United change your flights' schedule? If so you should call them and ask for an earlier flight from MTY or a later flight to LAX.


    1. International Arrivals arrive either at Terminals D or E. From there they go through secure corridors, walk across the sky bridges to adjoining Federal Inspection Services (FIS), where they will claim baggage & clear U.S. Customs. If continuing your journey, re-check in your baggage at the recheck counters and proceed to the Arrivals Lobby, which has an escalator down to the Inter-Terminal Train taking you to your connecting terminal. (As United uses all of IAH's terminals, look at overhead screen to find your connecting flight & gate number.) 2. For International departures: United Airlines at Terminal E; all other airlines at Terminal D.)


  • Baggage check
    Jan 14, 2014
    Hi, I will be traveling to Montreal, Canada from London, Heathrow (LHR) to Newark, USA (EWR) and take a connecting flight from Newark to Montreal, Canada (YUL) on Saturday January 18,2014. Do I have to clear customs and take out my luggages in USA then check in my luggages again to go to Canada? If the flight from London is not delayed and on time, I have 2 hours in EWR before catching another flight to Canada, do I have enough time to clear customs and recheck my suitcases? Please advise


    Yes, you have the procedure correct. You may also have to change terminals in EWR from Terminal C to Terminal A (I'm assuming you're flying United for both flights). Since you will already be outside security at that time it will probably be fastest to take the AirTrain between Terminals (after you re-check your bags). You will then have to go through security in your departure terminal. You will barely have enough time if your flight from London is on-time.


  • Lost Black/bluish grey Winter jacket on Friday, Jan 10 2013 evening
    Jan 13, 2014
    Jacket has 2 layers. top layer has hoodie and its jacket for winter/ snow/ rain. the inner layer may be seperate or attached, its also black/ grey without hoodie to protect from cold.


    Would help if you mentioned where you might have lost it.


    I had last flight 4414 with united airlines to Newark Airport from gate 4. I lost it from 4 pm to 7:30 pm Friday jan 10. Must be at either united airlines gate 4 (99% chance), (1% at tsa clearance). Flight boarded at 7:30 and I realized on the way to New York


  • Checking baggage to final destination with non-alliance airlines
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hi, I have two separate tickets - one with United from Greenville to IAD and the other with Saudi Airlines from IAD to Jeddah. Will I be able to check-in my luggage with United in Greenville all the way through to Jeddah or will I need to check it in again at IAD?


    Since you bought separate tickets United is under no obligation to check your bags over to Saudi. However, the agent is technically able to as United and Saudi do have an interline baggage agreement. It never hurts to ask the agent when you check your bags in in Greenville. Make sure to have documentation for your Saudi flight with you when you do so.


  • Lost my folder
    Jan 8, 2014
    I lost my folder and cant find it home so i thought may i lost it at the airport . It is white with red straights , i have my I-20 and something else in it . hope someone picked it up .


  • lost bagage not collected of belt
    Jan 7, 2014
    Please could you see if you have a bag I left on the belt its black suite case with a red shoe lace on it and can wheel along side you message me at


    This is not the Sabiha Gokcen Airport (or any other airport's) website.


  • Travel to England, UK
    Dec 28, 2013
    I will be flying from Montreal, Canada to Newark arriving at terminal A, then making a connecting flight from Newark to London, England at terminal C, I only have 90 minutes to run from TA to TC, my question is do I have enough time to make the flight and do I have to check out my luggage and check in again for the flight to UK? Remember I fly from Montreal, Canada, please advise


    Were your tickets bought on one reservation? Are you flying United with both flights? If so you will pre-clear US Immigration in Montreal and your arrival in Newark will be just like a domestic flight. Then you can take the secure-side United shuttle bus from Terminal A to Terminal C. If your first flight is on-time you should have enough time.


1 2

Google Plus One