Milwaukee Mitchell Airport is an international civil-military airport. It is named after the United States Army Air Service General Billy Mitchell, and serves the greater area of the City of Milwaukee in the State of Wisconsin.
MKE is located 5 miles (8 km) south of downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States. The airport has five asphalt and concrete runways and covers an area of 2,180 acres (880 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- For 2019-2023, Mitchell Airport is included in the Federal Aviation Administration National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems and is categorized as a medium-hub primary commercial service facility.
- In October 2008 a Condé Nast Traveler poll ranked Milwaukee Airport 4th in the nation.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 9 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Mitchell Airport is busy in the morning hours between 6:00 am - 8:00 am, and in the night between 11:00 pm - 12:00 am.
- Passengers are recommended to arrive at least 3 hours before an international flight departure, and 2 hours before a domestic flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Before heading to the airport to board a flight, please have a look at the MKE Airport map.
- If passengers are connecting from an airline on one concourse to an airline on another concourse, they will be screened at the security checkpoint of the departure concourse.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For picking up passengers from the airport, the visitors can wait in the Surface Lot/Cell Phone waiting area. Moreover, the first 30 minutes are free.
- If you’re dropping off passengers, ticketing roadway can be used. Also, the hourly section of the parking garage can be used which is free for the first 30 minutes.
- For arriving flight status: Arriving flight status provides Milwaukee Airport gate information, arrival times, time to land, and delays.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, flight delays, and map tracking.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at MKE.
Mitchell Airport has 3 Concourses, and a new terminal is planned to open in 2020. An international terminal’s construction is likely to conclude in 2021. For more information, please refer to the MKE Airport Terminal Map.
Concourse C - Gates 9-25
Concourse D - Gates 27-56
Concourse E - Gates 60-69
Mitchell Airport serves various airlines including Southwest Airlines, United Express, American Airlines, American Eagle, Alaska Airlines, and more. View here: airlines served at MKE Airport.
Short-Term & Long-Term Parking
Parking at MKE is available at the terminal. There are many parking options at Mitchell Airport including daily, hourly, long-term, and more. The airport has proper identification displayed for drivers to park in the designated parking area.
- If you need to park for less than five hours, the hourly section of the parking garage is the best choice.
- If you want to park for more than 5 hours or overnight, the daily section of the parking area is a great choice.
Many parking lots are available for visitors for off-airport parking near Mitchell Airport. Also, 24x7 access is allowed by most of the off-site lots.
A lot of options are available for passengers for ground transportation after arriving at the airport. From buses to rental cars to airport shuttles, and more, they can choose according to their convenience. Many passengers also opt for ride services such as Taxis, Uber, and Lyft.
Rental Car services can be easily availed at MKE Airport. Various car rental agencies are available onsite at the airport. Some of the well-known providers include Thrifty, National, Budget, Alamo, and more
Airport shuttles at MKE Airport are a great option to travel to the major nearby areas. Various shuttle operators also provide airport service to hotels and all other locations in southeastern Wisconsin and northern Illinois, including Chicago.
Buses & Trains
If you’re looking for an economical option for ground transportation at MKE, public transportation can be a good choice. The bus stop at the airport is located outside Baggage Claim Exit 1.
- The GreenLine service operates between Bayshore Town Center and Mitchell International Airport, traveling through downtown Milwaukee along the way.
- MCTS Route 80 connects downtown Milwaukee and the downtown MATC campus to Mitchell International Airport and the MATC-South Campus in Oak Creek.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay wonderful, Mitchell Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Free Wifi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Children’s play areas
Address: 5300 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207, USA
Phone: (414) 747 5300
Mitchell Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On October 19, 1926, Milwaukee County purchased the land for the Milwaukee County Airport.
- During the late depression years, a new two-story passenger terminal building was constructed.
- In 1941, the airport was renamed General Mitchell Field after Milwaukee's military airpower advocate, Brigadier General William BillyMitchell.
- On July 20, 1955, the present terminal was opened.
- On January 21, 2007, MKE Airport expanded the runway safety area at the end of the runways.
- In 2009, the construction of the runway safety area was started and was completed in fall 2012.
- In February 2019, the airport was renamed Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport. The old name is still used by the US government and FAA.