CLEAR Airport Security Guide
One of the most frustrating aspects of air travel today is waiting in airport security lines. When you leave for the airport, unless there’s an accident or some other delay, you know how long it will take you to get to the airport. Unfortunately this is not the case for getting through airport security. It can take just a few minutes in an empty airport, or over an hour during busy times.
So, how do you jump to the front of the line? The answer is CLEAR airport security. Available in most major US Airports, CLEAR is a subscription-based service that uses biometrics (fingerprints and iris scans) to validate your identity. This article provides more details about the CLEAR program, how it works, and how you can join.
CLEAR Enrollment and Fees
To get a CLEAR subscription, you must be:
- a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident; and
- over 18 years of age.
The list price of a CLEAR subscription is $189/year. However, you can get 2 months of free membership via a partnership with iFly.com. After the free trial, the discounted initial enrollment is just $154!
Applying to the program is easy, the first step is to enroll online. Then all you need to do is show up at one of the CLEAR airport locations to complete your enrollment - there’s no need for an appointment. You will need to bring a photo ID that matches up with your membership application. See below to learn more about CLEAR and how it works.
How CLEAR Works at the Airport
CLEAR subscribers can proceed to the security checkpoint and go straight to the CLEAR kiosks, where they will be met by a CLEAR Ambassador, who will ask for a boarding pass, and will help during the biometric scan. After this is completed, the Ambassador will escort the traveler directly to the TSA line (either the standard line or the TSA PreCheck line), where the TSA Agent will only require a boarding pass. The rest of the process is the same, and will include a luggage scan and metal detector and/or body scan.
CLEAR AND TSA PreCheck - A Great Combo!
TSA PreCheck AND CLEAR make a great combination if you subscribe to both. You can think of it this way: CLEAR speeds up the process of identification, and TSA PreCheck (aka TSA Pre) speeds up the physical process of going through security.
According to the TSA, air travel volumes in airports are close to “normal” levels, and more and more people are discovering TSA PreCheck. That means even with this credential, you could still be waiting longer than expected. However, having both CLEAR and TSA PreCheck will speed up the entire process in several ways. Aside from a dedicated line, you also get the benefit of not having to take your shoes off (which we think is kinda gross)! Scroll down to see where you can use CLEAR.
Learn more about TSA PreCheck and how to enroll.
More US airports are adopting the service over time as the CLEAR program becomes more popular. See the list below for current CLEAR Airport locations (sorted by Airport FAA Code):
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM)
- Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- Boise Airport (BOI)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
- John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP)
- Hartford Bradley Airport (BDL)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Westchester County Airport (HPN)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Long Beach Airport (LGB)
- Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport (MKE)
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
- Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Will Rogers World Airport (OKC)
- Ontario International Airport (ONT)
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Palm Springs International Airport (PSP)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU)
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
CLEAR At Major Venues
CLEAR is known for its airport security expediting service, however, it is also available at a variety of non-airport venues across the United States. The company has expanded its reach to provide users with seamless access to stadiums, arenas, and other entertainment venues.
In New York City, CLEAR can be used at both Yankee Stadium and Madison Square Garden. San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors can take advantage of CLEAR services at Oracle Park and PayPal Park. Sports fans in Austin, Texas, can use CLEAR to enter Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, while those in Arlington, Texas, can access Globe Life Field with the technology.
Other locations where CLEAR is available include Coors Field in Denver, Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles, FTX Arena in Miami, Target Field in Minneapolis, AT&T Center in San Antonio, and Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C.
CLEAR's is committed to providing users with a convenient and secure identification solution not only in airports but also in various entertainment venues across the country. As the company continues to grow, it is likely that more locations will adopt CLEAR's technology to enhance the visitor experience.