There's a long list of things that you need to keep in mind before you take a flight.
Vacations and traveling are very exciting for most people. However, packing isn't much fun. And if you forget to carry those important things or documents with you, then it might mean ending your vacation abruptly.
This travel checklist will help you with useful vacation packing tips and other guidelines for a smooth as well as productive trip.
#1 Print out your Travel Documents
A day before the flight, make sure that you pack all your important documents, including your passport or other form of required ID, air ticket, and travel documents. Also, ensure that all the personal information entered in those documents is correct.
Also, it is always better to have photocopies of all the travel documents with you. Keep a copy in your luggage and leave a copy with a trusted friend or neighbor back home.
#2 Research Your Departure & Destination Airports
Airports can be confusing and not being able to easily park, get to your terminal, get through the right security checkpoint, and on to your gate can cause delays and even a missed flight. Some airports that share a center main terminal where most gates can be walked to are a bit easier to navigate, such as San Francisco's SFO, Seattle's SEATAC, or Newark's Liberty EWR, whereas other large airports such as Dallas DFW and Denver DEN are more challenging due to the need to take trains or endure long walks.
So be sure to know in advance which terminal you will be departing from and arriving into and the layout of each one.
And after you get familiar with your terminals, it is important to inquire in advance about your final destination. Research online about weather conditions and temperature beforehand, so you can pack your clothes accordingly.
Also, you can search for tourist spots and surrounding accommodations. Find the information about transportation options available at your destination.
Further, it will be good to know about local laws and socio-political conditions, as this will help you avoid any trouble.
#3 Determine the Itinerary
If you want to have a smooth trip, then it is better to plan a travel itinerary for your trip. An outline of places you want to visit in a day will ensure a smooth and happy trip.
By investing the time now to put together an itinerary, you save time for more fun at your destination. This can maximize time and productivity.
#4 Ensure Accommodations Beforehand
Before leaving for your destination and before boarding a flight, make sure that you have a place to stay at a destination. Pre-book all your hotels and accommodation in advance.
Also, look for amenities like shops, a gym, Wi-Fi, and more when booking accommodation.
#5 Meet With Your Doctor before Leaving For Destination
Book an appointment with your doctor on the day before your trip. This will ensure that your health is in check and you are healthy to travel. Plus, you can ask for an extra prescription if necessary.
Be sure to pack enough medication, plus an extra dosage of more than two days. Always carry your prescription papers and medical documents with you while traveling.
#6 Prepare Your Wallet
Take enough cash and change for you to pay for meals and cab fares at your destination. Also, if you are traveling to a new country, then change currency on time to have enough money with you.
It's important to know the current exchange rates to have a handle on your spending. If you are not quick with conversions, have a small cheat-sheet ready in your wallet for quick reference.
#7 Make a Travel Packing Checklist on Paper
To ensure that you have packed everything necessary for the trip, make a travel packing checklist. This will help you to pack things more efficiently, and it will prevent leaving necessary items as well. Your list should contain the following categories:
- Attire: Clothing, footwear, and other accessories.
- Toiletries and grooming supplies: Shampoo, hairdryer, straightener, rubber bands, earplugs, eye mask, etc.
- Electronics: Laptop, camera, chargers, earphones, electric converters, adapters, etc.
- Documents: Passports, identification cards, medical prescriptions, travel insurance, etc.
- Others: Medication, extra eyeglasses, antibacterial handwash, debit cards, credit cards, etc.
#8 Acquire Items Needed For Your Travel Trip
According to your destination, you may need to buy a few things, including weather-appropriate clothes, travel-sized toiletries, and new luggage.
#9 Contact Your Airline for Information on Baggage Requirements
Different Airlines offer different baggage guidelines, so it will be best to inquire about baggage requirements from your Airline. Check the prescribed sizes and weight limits for carry-on and check-in luggage. Find out the policies of Airlines for carry-on baggage. Also, look for prohibited and allowed items. This will save you from unnecessary trouble before boarding.
#10 Find Suitable Luggage and Locks
Luggage with wheels is easy to roll and easy to carry while traveling. Also, try to select luggage that is light in weight and easy to carry. The luggage needs to be easy for you to transport, but also durable at the same time.
#11 Leave Instructions for People at Home
This is an important part of every vacation checklist that should not be forgotten. Make a written list for your roommate, friend or family members. The list may include important chores, dates, instructions regarding pets and many other things.
Also, do not forget to mention your contact information where your friend or family member can call you in case of any emergency.
#12 Get Updates on your Flight
Prior to leaving for the airport, be sure to check the status of your flight to give you a better idea if it will be on time or delayed. You can track all flights globally using the Flight Tracker provided here.
Vacation Packing Tips
If you are going on vacation, then the following vacation packing tips will help you in many ways.
- Choose clothes with plain fabrics rather than prints, so that you can easily match them with other accessories.
- Bring comfortable and durable footwear with you for visiting sight-seeing and shopping.
- Pack clothes according to your planned activities and events at the destination. Also, consider the weather and climate to pack clothes accordingly.
- Bring travel-sized toiletries with you. Store all liquids in resealable plastic bags.
- Utilize the shoes space to store socks, toiletries or other small items.
- Store footwear in fabric shoe bags or old socks, to keep them from spoiling your valuable clothes.
- Always keep valuables and travel documents in your hand bag, never in the checked luggage. This tip is also applicable to necessary items such as keys, extra eyeglasses, and prescription drugs.
- Pack cameras, film, and laptops in your carry-on luggage to avoid unwanted damage during the check-in process.
- If traveling overseas, remember to bring electrical adaptors for your electronics and other devices.
- Don't forget to bring your chargers or extra batteries.
- Pack a collapsible bag. This will be very useful for carrying extra items on your trips back, such as shopping acquisitions or dirty laundry.
- Do not bring expensive jewelry or any irreplaceable family items with you on trip. Leave all your extra credit cards, library cards, and other things in your wallet that you will not be using.
- Lock away all valuables in a safe place.
Hope that above mentioned flying checklist will help you to plan a safe and fun trip.