LaGuardia Airport is located in Queens, New York and is about 8 miles (13 km) from Manhattan. It covers an area of 680 acres (280 ha). The airport is operated by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. It has been criticized for various facilities, lack of cleanliness, and many other problems. The airport is under a $4B reconstruction project and is scheduled to be completed by 2022, which will make dramatic improvements for the traveling public.
Airport Stats & Facts
- LaGuardia Airport is the third busiest airport in New York City, and the 20th busiest in the US.
- In 2019, LGA had passenger traffic of around 30 million passengers.
- A perimeter rule prohibits all flights exceeding 1,500 miles, so most transcontinental and international flights use either JFK or Newark Liberty airports.
Airport Traveling Tips
- LGA airport is the busiest on Sunday evening from 5 pm to 6 pm.
- As the Airport is under construction, it is highly recommended that passengers arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the LaGuardia Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: LGA Arriving Flight Status provides LaGuardia airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: LGA Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and LGA airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at LaGuardia Airport, book a flight at LGA airport here.
The Airport has four terminals - A, B, C, and D, connected by buses and walkways. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the LaGuardia Airport terminal map.
Also known as the Marine Air Terminal (MAT), it has JetBlue Airlines as the only tenant.
Also known as the Central Terminal Building (CTB), it serves most of LaGuardia’s airlines including Air Canada, American, Southwest, and United.
This terminal covers an area of 300,000 square feet. Due to the construction of a new concourse, gates C-15-C24 are closed. The airlines operated at this terminal are Delta, Delta Connection, and a few more.
It is connected to Terminal C by a 600-foot walkway. Delta Connection and Delta airlines operate at the new Concourse G, connected to Terminal D.
LaGuardia Airport serves as a hub for both American Airlines and Delta Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including Air Canada, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, Spirit Airlines, and more.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at LGA Airport is available at all the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at LaGuardia Airport. All parking lot fees are collected while exiting the lot.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near LGA Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at LGA. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from LaGuardia Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. The buses are wheelchair accessible.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, LaGuardia Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Car Services, App-based Rides passenger pick-up area is located in Terminal B Parking Garage, Level 2.
- The passenger dropoff can take place outside their desired terminal on the departures level.
Address: Ditmars Blvd & 94th St Flushing, NY 11369, USA
Phone: (718) 533 3400
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found
LaGuardia Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- LaGuardia Airport is named after Fiorello La Guardia, who was the mayor of New York City when the airport was built.
- LGA opened with 4 runways at 45 degrees angle to each other, the longest being 6,000 ft.
- In 2010, full demolition and rebuilding of LGA’s central terminal was announced by the Port Authority director, Christopher Ward.
- In 2015, a $4 billion plan was announced to rebuild the terminals as one contiguous building with terminal bridges connecting buildings.
- In 2016, the construction of the project’s first phase started and scheduled to be completed by 2021.
- Also, in 2016, comprehensive plans for the redevelopment were approved unanimously and the construction costs were estimated to range from $4 billion - $5.3 billion.
- In 2018, 11 gates at Terminal’s B new Eastern Concourse were opened and 5 additional gates in June 2019.
- The new airport is to be eco-friendly and the entire airport will move 600 ft closer to the Grand Central Parkway.
Where is SWA baggage services for lost baggage?
Asked by Steve - Mon, 12 September
You can contact Southwest Airlines directly at (800) 435-9792 for any baggage claims questions.
Is there a USAA bank in the airport?
Asked by Scott Weiler - Wed, 31 August
There isn't a USAA Bank currently at this airport.
Where do I park if I'm flying with JetBlue?
Asked by Grace - Mon, 29 August
Jetblue is located in Terminal B so you will want to use the Terminal B parking area.
Is united express in terminal B?
Asked by Larry Wheeler - Thu, 18 August
United Airlines is located in Terminal B.
Where is the ground transportation desk located in Terminal D?
Asked by greg - Fri, 12 August
There isn't a Terminal D at this airport.
Where is the Delta first lounge?
Asked by Gaétan Breton - Thu, 11 August
There are Delta Sky Club Lounges located at Gate C26 and a Connector between C & D.
Where do private drivers pick up prepaid travelers?
Asked by Mandy - Mon, 16 May
Do you need a shuttle to car rental?
Asked by Treese Ann Hellstrom - Fri, 6 May
Yes, we recommend the free shuttle to the Car Rental area. It is not easily access on foot.
What terminal does Southwest arrive at?
Asked by Joyce Moore - Wed, 13 April
Southwest operates out of Terminal B t this airport.
How do I get from terminal A to B?
Asked by Karen - Tue, 12 April
We suggest you use the free shuttle service, as to walk would be very far. Service between terminals runs 24 hours and buses come every 8-15 minutes.
Can I park at the airport for 5 days?
Asked by Ilene - Tue, 12 April
Yes, you can park at the airport for up to 30 days.
Where is my luggage?
Asked by Christopher reynolds - Mon, 4 April
You must contact your airline directly regarding any lost or delayed luggage.
Is there a telephone number for American Airlines baggage services?
Asked by Tommy Jacks - Mon, 4 April
You can contact American Airlines at (800) 433-7300.
Where can cars wait for Terminal D arriving flights?
Asked by DanTheMan - Sun, 6 March
You can wait at the Cell Phone Parking Lot, which is located on 94th Street between 23rd Ave and Ditmars Blvd. It's open 7 days a week, from 7:00am to midnight.
How do you get from terminal A to C?
Asked by Jo Stecher - Sat, 26 February
You can use the complimentary shuttle bus to go between Terminals. Buses arrive roughly every 10 minutes but this may vary with traffic conditions.
Does the airport have smoking area?
Asked by keshav - Sat, 26 February
Inside the airport, smoking is prohibited, including the use of electronic cigarettes. Outside the terminals, there are designated smoking areas.
Where is Pet relief area terminal B?
Asked by E Shulman - Sun, 20 February
For accessing the Pet relief area that is located just beyond the arrivals taxi stand at the Terminal B, you need to take an exit through the arrival level and then turn right.
Where is the pickup area for arriving Delta flights?
Asked by Rehan - Wed, 16 February
On the ground level or the arrivals levels, the pickup areas of which can be found between terminal C and terminal D for arriving Delta Flights.
Where can I park at this airport and do I need a reservation?
Asked by Shari tinneny - Sun, 13 February
What Terminal Does Delta Airlines use?
Asked by Charlie - Sat, 12 February