Los Angeles International Airport is the primary international airport that serves Los Angeles, California, and its surrounding metropolitan area. It is known as LAX airport, the identifier code for the airport. The Airport is located in the Westchester neighborhood of Los Angeles, 18 miles (30 km) southwest of Downtown Los Angeles. The airport covers 3,500 acres (1,400 ha) of land and has four parallel runways.
LAX Airport currently serves more than 109 nonstop domestic destinations and 93 nonstop international destinations, including cities in Mexico, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Tokyo, Vancouver, Toronto, Taipei, and many more. With over 85 million passengers annually, LAX is one of the fastest-growing airports in the USA.
More detailed info can be found below:
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
Airport Facts & Stats
- LAX is the fourth busiest airport internationally and the second busiest in the world.
- LA airport is the biggest airport on the West Coast, connecting America with Asia and Oceania.
- More than 80 million people travel into or out of LAX annually.
- Over 2 million tons of cargo pass through the airport every year.
- The LAX Airport has a Pets Unstressing Passengers (PUP) program that uses specially-trained therapy dogs to help nervous passengers relax.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport is chaotic around the clock. Avoid peak travel hours from 6 am -9 am, 11 am-2 pm, and 7 pm-10 pm)
- Arrive 2 hours before the scheduled domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible flight delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Los Angeles Airport map before traveling to the airport to board a flight.
- LAX Airport is open 24/7, airline check-in counters and security checkpoints open between 4am-5am and close 11:30pm-2:30am, Pacific time, depending on each terminal's flight schedules.
- If dropping off a passenger, use the Cell Phone Waiting Lot at 96th Street /Vicksburg Av. (free for 2 hrs; stay with your car until your party calls to be picked up at the curb). For transport options refer to 'Transportation Buses & Trains'
Passenger Pickup and Drop off:
Passengers leaving LAX can board buses on the Lower/Arrivals Level in front of each terminal at the blue FlyAway® columns.
Park either at the parking available at the center of the horseshoe across from each terminal for $4 per hour or remote Economy Parking Lot C for $4 per hour.
If dropping off a passenger or waiting to retrieve guests, use the Cell Phone Waiting Lot at 96th Street /Vicksburg Av. on the outskirts of the LAX airport.
- For arriving flights: LAX Arriving Flight Status provides LAX arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: LAX Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and LAX airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Seattle airport, Book a Flight at LAX
LAX Airport has nine passenger terminals. These terminals are connected by a U-shaped, two-level roadway. To see the terminal locations and get additional information, please refer to the Los Angeles International Airport terminal map.
Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) is the main terminal that hosts most of the major international airlines, except those housed in Terminal 2. The terminal has 18 gates, nine of which are on the north concourse, and the other nine are on the south concourse.
There are additional nine satellite gates at the American Eagle satellite terminal for international flights on the west side of the LAX Airport. Passengers are transported to these gates by bus.
The Los Angeles Airport serves over 70 different airlines. It also serves as a hub for Allegiant Air, Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Qantas, United Airlines, Volaris, and Southwest Airlines.
Check out the full list of airlines served at LAX Airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking
Short -term Parking at LAX Airport is provided at all lots. The charges are $5 for one hour. Then, it costs $4 for every half an hour after at all parking lots. Parking charges at Economy Lot E $4 for one hour and then $4 for each hour.
There are many off-site parking lots near LAX Airport. Most of these facilities are open 24/7 and provide a shuttle service to and from the airport.
After arriving at Los Angeles Airport, passengers have many options for ground transportation. These options include airport shuttles, buses, car rentals, and trains. Passengers can also choose ride services like Lyft, Uber, and taxis.
LAX Car Rental: Many car rental companies serve passengers with pick-up and drop-off services. These companies include Avis, Almano, Fox, Hertz, Sixt, Thrifty, to name a few.
LAX Airport Shuttle: A free airport shuttle service connects the Los Angeles International Airport with the Metro Rail Green Line railway facility. Also, the airport avails free shuttle buses to transport passengers between airline terminals. LAX-it is the new service that guests arriving at the LAX Airport can choose to connect to their Taxi, Opoli, Lyft, and Uber rides when exiting the Airport.
Buses & Trains: Many schedules service buses that provide service from the Los Angeles Airport to all areas across Los Angeles and surrounding regions. The LAX FlyAway Buses is another popular and convenient mode of nonstop transportation between LAX and regions throughout the city. It tickets $9.75 each way.
Amenities & Services at LAX
To help you enjoy your stay, Los Angeles International Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Trained therapy dogs to comfort nervous and stressed passengers
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars
- Spa and massage facilities
- Public art exhibitions, media walls, video installations, sculptures, and paintings
- Airport lounges
- Layover and family facilities
- Flight Path Museum and Learning Center
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the terminals
- Numerous public transportation options
- Currency exchange
- Airport police
- Medical and first aid
The Los Angeles Airport is owned and operated by Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA), which is an agency of the government of Los Angeles.
Address: 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045, United States
Phone: (855) 463-5252
Have you lost your belongings at the LAX Airport? Lost & found.
Los Angeles International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The LAX airport, known as Mines Field, started its operations on 1 October 1928. The airport was actually opened in 1930.
- Before the 1930s, the airport uses “LA" as the designation for Los Angeles Airport. In 1947, it became "LAX.
- The name became LAX Airport in 1941 and Los Angeles International Airport in 1949.
- Commercial airline service at the LAX airport started December 1946.
- In April 1957, the airport had 66 departures during weekdays on United Airlines, 32 Western Airlines, 32 American Airlines, 27 TWA, five Bonanza Air Lines, nine Southwest, and three Mexicana Airlines.
- The LAX terminal complex was constructed in 1961 with a 172ft control tower.
- Since 1972, LAX has only adopted the 'Preferential Runway Use Policy' to overcome the noise pollution.
- In 1981, a $700 million expansion project started at the airport in preparation for the 1984 Summer Olympics. During this project, the U-shaped roadway got a second level. Terminal 1 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal were built while Terminal 2 was rebuilt.
- In 1996, a 277-foot-tall air traffic control tower was constructed near the Theme Building.
- In 2008, the Tom Bradley International Terminal underwent a $4.11 billion renovation and improvement program to accommodate the next-generation aircraft. The project also included the development of the Central Terminal Area (CTA) in order to streamline passenger processing and public transportation. In 2013, LAX Airport became the biggest airport in CA.
- In February 2017, officials announced a $1.6-billion Midfield Satellite Concourse as an expansion of Tom Bradley International Terminal.
- In 2018, it was serving over 87 million passengers and over 2 million tons of freight and mail.
My husband and I willl be traveling via LAX in 2 weeks. He is handicapped and requires a wheelchair from gate to gate. We will be arriving on Southwest, picking up baggage and then checking into Japan Airlines on Oct 12. What is the procedure to get assistance in getting help from Southwest terminal to the international travel on Japan Airlines?
Asked by kyle hama - Fri, 30 September
You can make arrangements with Southwest Airlines prior to arriving at the airport for wheelchair assistance.
I missed my flight that my luggage was on, what do I do now?
Asked by Lisa Walter - Thu, 22 September
Contact your airlines directly with any questions regarding luggage.
If flying out of lax on Southwest Airlines where does one park?
Asked by Beverly - Wed, 21 September
Parking Lot 1 is the best option for a Southwest Airlines passenger to park.
Are there any lounges open all night?
Asked by patricia mains - Sun, 28 August
We couldn't find the hours for the different lounges, but you can call Guest Services at (855) 463-5252.
Where is the chapel located in the airport?
Asked by Lisa - Sat, 27 August
We were unable to find a chapel located at this airport.
Can you buy lottery tickets at the airport?
Asked by ardell Hedington - Wed, 24 August
We didn't find anywhere in the airport that sells lottery tickets, but there are some convenience stores nearby.
Where can I find baggage help?
Asked by Andrew - Mon, 22 August
Contact the airlines directly that you flew with for any baggage questions.
What is the Terminal for United International arriving flights?
Asked by jim - Sat, 20 August
United Airlines uses Terminal 7.
Can you walk from terminal 5 to international terminal?
Asked by Don - Tue, 16 August
It is recommended to use the airport shuttle services to get from one terminal to the other.
Is there a family bathroom at Terminal 4 baggage claim?
Asked by Jerry - Tue, 26 July
There is not a family bathroom in Terminal 4.
Hi, is there an interfaith chapel inside or near LAX airport?
Asked by Aaron - Thu, 30 June
No, there is not.
Recommended arrival time for international flights?
Asked by jim kaiserski - Sun, 22 May
It is recommended that you arrive at least three hours early for any international flights departing from this airport.
Terminal 7 security open for 4am boarding?
Asked by Ralph - Wed, 4 May
The airport is open 24 hours a day. However, security opening times can vary from day to day. We recommend asking your airline what time you should arrive.
Does LAX have "cash-2-card" or "reverse ATM" machines for travelers without credit cards who need to purchase food from cashless vendors?
Asked by Carey Stone - Tue, 3 May
LAX does not currently have these types of ATMs available.
How to pickup arriving passenger at Terminal 4?
Asked by Richard Steven Burton - Fri, 22 April
Passengers may be picked up on the outer curb on the lower level (arrivals) level outside of baggage claim.
Lax terminal B where is that?
Asked by Natalie Bilborough - Wed, 23 March
Put this address in your GPS then follow signs for Terminal B: 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045, The closest parking for Terminal B Parking Structures 3 and 4. For drop-offs, guests can be let out on the Upper/Departures level at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.
What terminal does ANA fly out of?
Asked by William Ranger - Mon, 21 March
All Nippon Airways flies out of TBIT (Terminal B).
Skycap at United?
Asked by Marlee - Sat, 19 March
United's Assistance Center is located at Terminal 7, Door L2-10. However, we recommend contacting United prior to arrival.
Is there a map or guide to find the bike parking for each terminal? Does each parking garage provide bike racks?
Asked by Kay - Mon, 7 March
There is free parking for up to 30 days at the Central Terminal Area parking lots.
Is there a bank at this airport? I need a cashiers check.
Asked by Gary P Rowan - Sat, 26 February
There are only ATM's throughout the airport. To get a cashiers check you will need full banking services. We recommend that you google the LAX area for your bank or other bank that can provide the service.
Are there any printers located at the airport, that I could print a Covid test?
Asked by Kaitlynn - Wed, 23 February
Where is baggage claim 3?
Asked by Tiffany - Fri, 18 February
There are Baggage Claim 3 is located on various Terminals, but for all Terminals they are located on level 1.
Have a question about Los Angeles Airport?
Los Angeles Airport Q&A
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- John Wayne Airport (SNA)
- Ontario International Airport (ONT)
- Long Beach Airport (LGB)
- Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR)