NOTE: As ground transportation vehicles are shifted from time to time during the lengthy construction period, it is advisable to check with : www.laxishappening.com/getting-around-ground-transportation.aspx.
Ride-share companies Uber (UberPOOL) & Lyft (Lyft Line) are authorized to pick up passengers. Currently pickup/ dropoff is on the upper level roads only.
Shuttles, scheduled regional buses, and long-distance vans & buses are available on lower/ arrivals level islands in front of each terminal under the 'LAX Shuttle & Airline Connections sign): Green signs are for 'FlyAway Buses & Long Distance Vans: (For local transit information call 323-466-3876).
- for Terminal to terminal connection, use the A Route;
- to get to the Metro Bus Center with connections to LA area, take the C Route, whose shuttle stop is on the upper/ Departures level with a sign: 'Shuttle Zone - Private Prking Lots.
- to Metro Green Line Aviation Station, take the G route.
Shared-Ride Vans - Prime Time Shuttle and SuperShuttle - operate out of LAX and are authorized to serve all Southern California counties, and pick up passengers on the Lower/Arrival Level islands in front of each terminal under the orange sign 'Shared Ride Vans'.
LAX FlyAway Buses: The FlyAway bus stop at Union Station returned to its original location on the Patsaouras Bus Plaza (following completion of Metro’s major rehabilitation work to the plaza)
- Its Union Station stop for the FlyAway bus to LAX Airport will operate on its regular schedule: every 30 mins -9:30a.m.-12:30 a.m.; hourly between 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.; and every 20 minutes between 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on weekdays; weekends every 30 minutes from 5:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. and hourly between 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. The nonstop bus service to/from LAX costs $9 one way. Two children age five and under may ride free with each paying adult. Parking in the Union Station garage is $8 per day, with a 30-day limit.
- Also, the FlyAway bus offers direct service to LAX from 5 other locations across LA County: Hollywood, Long Beach, Metro Orange Line (San Fernando Valley), Van Nuys, and Westwood.
- For more information on the new pick-up/drop-off facility and updated maps, visit https://www.metro.net/riding/bus-plaza-closure/for more information . For complete FlyAway schedules, maps, and fare schedules, please visit http://www.lawa.org/FlyAway.
- For Fly-Away traffic impacts visit Twitter at https//mobile.twitter.com/@flyLAXairport.
The Metropolitan Express serves downtown L.A. and Union Station, about 19 miles northeast of LAX.
Other Bus Connections: (most of these buses can be picked up at the Met Bus Center in Parking Lot C)
- Culver City Bus - tel. 310-253-6510 (visit: www.culvercity.org/Government/Transpotation/bus.aspx - click on their excellent Route Map)
- Santa Monica Big Blue Bus - tel. weekdays 310-451-54444; sat TDD 310-395-6024 (visit: www.bigbluebus.com)
- Torrance Transit from Union Station - tel. 30-618/6266 /fax 6229 (visit: www.torranceca.gov/92.htm).
- Airport Bus to (a) Pasadena - 28 miles NE of LAX; to (b) Anaheim ( Disneyland), 32 miles SE of LAX; and (c) to Buena Park, 28 miles SE of LAX.
- Airport Bus of Bakersfield - to Bakersfield, a two hours' drive north of Los Angeles.
- Antelope Valley Airport Express - to Newhall, Palmdale and Lancaster in the Antelope Valley, with Lancaster (the furthest location) about 75 miles north of LAX.
- Santa Barbara Airbus - to Santa Barbara, plus nearby Goleta and Carpinteria. The drive to these areas (located northwest of LAX, along the sea coast) from the airport usually takes 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Ventura County Airporter - to Ventura and Oxnard, on the sea coast about one hour to one hour and a half northwest of LAX.
Future Metro plan to LAX: Construction started in Spring 2017 on a $172 million facility - able to house 70 light-rail cars with room to expand - intended for the Metro’s planned connection to LAX Airport. The Southwest Yard near LAX should be ready by 2019 - in time for the planned 2020 opening of the Crenshaw line extension to LAX, and around the time that a people mover will be completed to connect LAX directly with the rail line.