Salgado Filho Airport is located in the Sao Joao district - 7 km from downtown Porto Alegre, with roads leading to the BR-116 and BR-290/ BR-101 highways, which connect northern & southern parts of Rio Grande do Sul Sta and neighboring Brazilian counties . The Convention Center is 7 km, and main hotel chains 1 km from the Airport. Porto Alegre's center can be reached by subway from the Airport.
With an extended runway and 7.6M passengers in 2016, Porto Alegre Airport is served by domestic and international airlines offering flights to cities in the Americas and to Europe, with connections worldwide.
- NOTE: The March 2017 the Brazilian Government's bidding process at the March 2017 auction resulted in Porto Alegre & Fortaleza Airports to be 100% acquired by Fraport (a world-leader in Airport management) and became effective in July 28, 2017 (with a l25-year contract ).
Porto Alegre Airport has two passenger terminals - T1 & T2 (or TPS-I & TPS-II) at different locations, but within walking distance of each other.
T1 is at Av. Severo Dulius (CEP code of 90.200-310) - with 5 boarding bridges and twice the size of T2;
T2 is on Av. dos Estados (CEP code 90.200-000)
International Arrivals of non-Brazilian citizens: As most international flights are taken either via Sao Paolo's Guarulhos Airiport or the Rio de Janeiro Galeao Airport - expect a 2-hour transfer procedure there: You will go through passport control (30 minutes); then claim your bags and proceed to the Customs area; thereafter go to your connecting airline desk (at Guarulhos these desks are behind a cafeteria, 50 meters after Customs). After completion of formalities there, proceed to your connecting gate of your Porto Alegre flight.
Amenities and services inside the terminals: Aside from a selection of food & drink, retail concessions, and duty-free shops, you find the following: Information desk Infraero (tel. (51) 3358-2903. Lost & Found (51) 3358-2903; pharmacy Drogabel (51) 3358-2577, postal service 3371-4523; baggage storage: (51) 3371-4869; . Banking facilities are available at 4 bank branches, at ATM cash machines, & at currency exchange booths. Other services include internet access, first aid station, baggage wrapping, shoeshine, travel agencies, and more. New concessionaire DFA will soon open new duty-free & dut-paid concessions.
Parking is available in the parking garage across from the terminals. For parking information call (51) 3358-2449.
'Duty-free Americas' is Salgado Filho Airport's duty-free operator.
Current and future Airport developments: (Previous plans for a new airport have been scapped.) Fraport, the new concessionaire, now has to fulfill its contractual obligations, under which the mandatory obligation is to start the following improvements:
- Terminal expansion by 36,000 sq.meters
- runway extension by 'at least' 920 meters
- adding an automated baggage management & security screening system
- adding 14 boarding bridges, and corresponding parking stands at apron.
Further Improvements to be made to the current passenger terminal include:
- adding bathrooms & baby-changing areas,
- new terminal signs,
- free high-speed WiFi at passenger areas
- upgrading outdoor lighting, air conditioning, escalators, moving walkways, elevators & baggage conveyor belts
- general maintenance of all surfaces at passenger areas.
Bairro Sao Joao, Porto Alegre, RS, Rio 90.200-310
Phone: +55 51 3358 2000