South African Airways Guide
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on South African Airways, the national flag carrier of South Africa. This guide provides you with all the necessary information about the airline, including its operations, financial performance, flight status and tracking, aircraft fleet, gateway hubs, pet policy, customer service, and its evolution. Let's dive in and explore more about this major player in the African aviation industry. For more information on other major passenger airlines, you can check out the Airline Guide on iFly.com.
As South Africa's national flag carrier, South African Airways serves over 40 global destinations, transporting an average of 6 million passengers each year. Find detailed company information on our dedicated page.
Flight Status & Tracking
Stay updated with your South African Airways flight status through their website, mobile app, or airport FID screens. This airline also offers real-time flight tracking using GPS, radar, and satellite communication.
Check South African Airways Flight Status to get current departure, arrival, or delay status of any flight, including flight tracker on a map.
Find more help here for your journey through the airport
The airline operates a diverse fleet of 44 aircraft for both domestic and international flights. To offer a better flying experience, it has recently partnered with Airbus and Boeing. Learn more about the fleet on our aircraft fleet page.
Partners & Alliances
Discover the extensive network of partnerships and alliances that South African Airways has fostered to provide an enhanced travel experience for its passengers. Learn about their strategic approach to cooperation and collaboration with other airlines and corporations, which has led to better connectivity and a more integrated travel experience. From being a proud member of the Star Alliance, to engaging in codeshare agreements and forming significant partnerships outside the network, South African Airways is dedicated to broadening travel options for its passengers. To learn more about these partnerships, visit partners & alliances.
South African Airways utilizes a hub system, with its main base of operations at O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg. The airline also operates significant secondary hubs at Cape Town International Airport and King Shaka International Airport in Durban. The strategic location of these gateway hubs allows for seamless transfers and efficient connections, enhancing the overall travel experience for passengers.
Flights & Destinations
Whether you're planning a vacation or a business trip, understanding your flight information is crucial. This comprehensive guide provides detailed insights into flight booking, destination options, and vacation packages, specifically focusing on South African Airways. From popular vacation spots to direct and nonstop destinations, and from booking flights to flight check-in procedures, this guide covers it all. So, get ready to embark on a smooth and hassle-free journey with South African Airways.
For more details on flights and destinations with South African Airways, click here.
Are you preparing for a journey with South African Airways? Knowing the airline's baggage rules, limits, and fees can make your travel experience smoother and more enjoyable. This comprehensive guide provides all the necessary information, from carry-on and checked baggage allowances to special handling services for extra, oversized, or special items. Remember, these details can change, so it's always a good idea to check the most current information on the day of your flight. Ready to pack with confidence? Get all the baggage info you need right here.
The airline has specific regulations for traveling with pets. Always check the latest information before you travel. Find more details on our pet policy page.
Since its establishment in 1934, South African Airways has grown from a domestic carrier to a major international airline, overcoming numerous economic and political challenges. Visit our airline history page to learn more about its journey and impact on the aviation industry.
Quick Facts About South African Airways
- South African Airways is the flag carrier airline of South Africa.
- It was founded in 1934 and is one of the oldest airlines in the world.
- The airline is headquartered in Airways Park, Johannesburg.
- South African Airways operates a hub-and-spoke network, linking over 40 local and international destinations across Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, and Oceania.
- It is a member of the Star Alliance, which provides travelers with an extensive network of routes and destinations.
- The airline's fleet consists of a mix of Airbus and Boeing aircraft.
- South African Airways offers a frequent flyer program called Voyager, which allows passengers to earn and redeem miles on all Star Alliance member airlines.
- The airline has a strong commitment to sustainability and operates one of the most fuel-efficient fleets in the world.
- South African Airways provides in-flight entertainment, including movies, TV shows, music, and games, on long-haul flights.
- The airline also offers special services for passengers with specific needs, such as unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities, and passengers with dietary restrictions.
For support related to flight information, reservations, lost or damaged luggage, customer relations, and the frequent flyer program, visit our customer service page.