Albert J. Ellis Airport is country-owned public use. It is located 310 nautical miles (19 km) northwest of the central business district of Jacksonville and Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Opening on February 15, 1971, the airport is used by general aviation, the military and two commercial airlines, American Eagle and Delta Connection.
- OAJ Airport is owned and operated by Onslow county. It covers an area of 675 acres (273 ha).
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport terminal is open based on departing and arriving flight schedules check-in travelling.
- Domestic passengers are recommended to arrive at the airport at least 120 minutes before the scheduled flight departure. While international passengers should arrive 180 minutes prior to their flight.
- Please take a look at the OAJ Airport Map before visiting the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped off directly in front of the terminal doors.
- However, Federal regulations do not allow vehicles to wait for long periods. To reduce the risks from crowding at the airport during the holidays, family and friends meeting inbound or sending off outbound passengers are asked to wait in their vehicles in the parking lot.
- For arriving flights: Arriving flight status provides Albert J. Ellis Airport arrival times, gate information, time to land, and delays.
- For departing flights: Departing flights status shows actual vs scheduled departure, map tracking, departure times, flight delays, and gate information.
- To get the best fares book a flight at OAJ Airport here.
Ellis Airport has a main terminal with 5 gates on one course.
For more information, please refer to the OAJ Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at Albert J. Ellis Airport include Allegiant and Frontier airlines.
View the full list of airlines served at OAJ here.
Short term and Long term Parking
Park where the sign is, and don’t leave valuables in the car. The airport offers modern amenities to make travelling as stress-free as possible for you. The Albert J. Ellis Airport, a Jacksonville-area airport has more than 500 spaces for short and long term parking.
The parking lot is located close to the terminals, so you won’t have to worry about taking a shuttle to and from your car, or forgetting where you parked. The lot is open 24/7 and exits open from 4:30 am. Until the last arriving flight.
Less than 15 minutes are free of charge.
From then on it is $2 every hour.
$9 a day is the maximum.
$54 is the weekly maximum and day 7 is now free.
For ground transportation, passengers have a variety of options to choose from, after arriving at the airport. The various options include buses, car rentals, airport shuttles, etc. Many passengers also opt for ride services such as Uber, Lyft, and Taxis.
The rental car agencies can be booked for pick up and reservation at Albert J. Ellis Airport. Avis, Budget, Alamo, Hertz, Enterprise, are some of the well-known providers for rental cars.
Airport licensed Taxis at OAJ Airport are available at the terminal during all flight arrivals from Charlotte and Atlanta.
Buses & Trains
Shuttle fare delivers flexible transportation options to meet the customer’s needs. You can pay them online too so don’t worry about travelling by cash for bus fare.
To know more about the schedules and routes, visit the RMTD’s official website.
Amenities & Services
To help you have an amazing stay, Ellis Airport OAJ provides visitors with different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, airport pet lodge and local souvenir shops.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Curbside baggage assistance, wheelchair and stroller friendly.
Address: 264 Albert Ellis Airport Road Richlands, North Carolina 28574
Phone: (910) 324-1100
Albert J. Ellis Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- For the 12 months ending May 31, 2020, the airport had 29,544 aircraft operations, an average of 81 per day: 35% military, 33% general aviation, 23% scheduled commercial and 9% air taxi.
- In 2013, the airport began construction on a two-story, 67,000 sq ft (6,200 m2) replacement passenger terminal building. The new terminal features passenger loading bridges, new concessions, expanded passenger areas and space for additional airlines.
- On December 6, 2017, the airport began construction on its first air traffic control tower. The six-story-tall tower opened on November 1, 2018.
- In December 2020, there were 26 aircraft based at this airport: 22 single-engine, 1 multi-engine and 3 helicopters.
- The airport is served by a fixed-base operator, Skyport Aviation, which offers fueling, maintenance, flight instruction and aircraft rentals from the new 10,000-ft2 executive terminal, which opened in 2015.